Friday, November 24, 2017
Log in Register

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017 7 months 2 weeks ago #1

  • Gregory
  • Gregory's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Storm Force
  • Posts: 213
April 8. First day of the season!
South Beach, Sheboygan, WI. 2 kites, 1 windsurf. Air temp 50. Wind ESE 15-18 knots, gust at ~20 knots. Water temp 42. Conditions: small chop, + swell starting to form @ 1-2 feet. Little or no shorebreak.
Sailed SB AtomIQ 124 L + 7.5 Ezzy Cheetah. TOW 1:30h. Fun!

IMG_0703.jpg


IMG_0702.jpg

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017 7 months 2 weeks ago #2

  • Chris
  • Chris's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • High Wind
  • Posts: 77
Nice! I sailed Greenwood in Evanston today. There were at least 4 other windsurfers out and one kiter. I sailed a 7.0 Ezzy Freeride and an 11'8" Exocet Windsup. Out of curiosity, Gregory, what size fine do you pair that 7.5 Cheetah with? (I usually use a 38 for my 7.0 Ezzy Freeride, but I tried a 44 today.)

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017 7 months 2 weeks ago #3

  • Gregory
  • Gregory's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Storm Force
  • Posts: 213
Hi Chris,
I use a 40cm fin with the 7.5. It works great and almost never spinout with it. If I do it's because I'm tired or overpowered. On that board I'll use a 48cm with the 8.5 Lion and the 36cm with the 6.5 cheetah.
I wish there were more windsurfers in my area. :( One day, I'll have to drive down and sail with the chicago windsurfers for sure.

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017 7 months 2 weeks ago #4

  • Chris
  • Chris's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • High Wind
  • Posts: 77
If you come down, let me know. Would be happy to sail with you. BTW, if you don't already know, the yearly Windsurfing Swap at Greenwood is on Sunday, May 21 at 10 a.m.

C.

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017 7 months 5 days ago #5

  • Gregory
  • Gregory's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Storm Force
  • Posts: 213
April 16. Third session of the season.
Lake Winnebago, Taycheedah, WI. Launch in front of Wind Power. 4 kites, 2 Windsurfs. Air temp 68. Wind NW 22-26 knots, gust at ~33 knots. Water temp 50. Conditions: heavy chop / 2 foot waves.
Sailed Naish Starship 100 L + 5.7 & 5.0 Sailworks Revo. TOW 2:00h.

For a first time with the 100 L Starship, this wasn't a walk in the park! Heavy chop waves all over with gusts at +30 knots, the 5.0 Revo felt like a 12-cylinder engin!

The Starship is a huge improvement over the Atom 124 L in high wind heavy chop conditions. The board is a lot more nimble, turns without much efforts. It offers almost no resistance to get on a plane and makes the sail light in the hands. Waterstarts are fast and easy but the single center back footstrap setup was a bit odd since I got used to sail on the rails with the SB Atom. I was missing putting lateral pressure on the fin to lock the stance. I think I might install the fourth strap in double on the back for added comfort... The board is direct like a go-kart. It flies through the chop easy but in a rigid and less mannered way than the Atom. The Atom offers less control in the chop but it seems softer overall. A contributing factor might be the foot pads that are twice the thickness on the Atom versus the Starship, thus absorbing impacts a lot more.
I began the session with the Sailworks Revo 5.7 but after 20 Minutes the wind picked-up a couple of notches and it clearly became overpowered. My impression is that the 5.7 Revo feels as powerful and delivers as much traction as my 6.5 Ezzy Cheetah. The Revo delivers instantaneously without warning. The sail is on or off and nothing in between. No softness there: rapid and direct acceleration that's what I got. Same thing with the 5.0, When the wind started to go down towards the end of the day, the sail had a hard time pulling me through the lulls. If it doesn't move at least a little, the 100 L isn't capable of holding my 85kg + wetsuit/gear/rig: it sinks, period.
Overall, the session went a lot better than I thought It would. I got a few good runs and an impromptu and involuntary takeoff with a scary front door re-entry. ...kinda like half of a forward loop. This was enough to make me swim for my beanie.

Here are a few pics. They never do justice to depict the conditions: the kites on the grass had to be weighted down as they were "walking" the lawn on their own!


IMG_0798.jpg


IMG_0800.jpg


IMG_0802.jpg

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017 7 months 4 days ago #6

  • Ady
  • Ady's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Hurricane Force
  • Posts: 927
Challenging sport ours, no question. And that's a big part of it's beauty actually!

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017 7 months 4 days ago #7

Ady wrote:
Challenging sport ours, no question. And that's a big part of it's beauty actually!


if_it_were_easy.jpg

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017 7 months 1 day ago #8

  • Ady
  • Ady's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Hurricane Force
  • Posts: 927
Hey Greg, you can keep us posted on future sailing plans ahead of time. I'm itching to drive up there for a day on the water once the conditions look promising. Or we can meet at Lake Geneva for any W wind i've heard it's pretty good.

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017 6 months 3 weeks ago #9

  • Gregory
  • Gregory's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Storm Force
  • Posts: 213
April 23. Fourth session of the season. (A week old and no sailing pics but anyway...)
Lake Michigan, Sheboygan, WI. Launch South Beach near Blue Harbor Resort. 5 kites, 1 Windsurfs. Air temp 46. Steady NE wind 18-22 knots, gust 24 knots. Water temp 44 (my guess). Conditions: long 2' swell, minimal chop / flat along south pier.
Sailed Starboard AtomIQ 124 L + 6.5 Ezzy Cheetah. TOW 90 min.
Great session. The wind had just turned from the West to NE so limited shore break and flat water sailing along the south pier. Except for the cold air and water temp, this was perfect.

FullSizeRender.jpg


FullSizeRender_2017-04-30.jpg


FullSizeRender_2017-04-30-2.jpg


Ady, I will let you know ahead of time next time I plan on heading out. I could also travel one day and join somewhere north side of Chocago.

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017 6 months 3 weeks ago #10

  • Gregory
  • Gregory's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Storm Force
  • Posts: 213
April 23 session. A few pics From Linda, a local photographer: 1-linda-mcalpine.pixels.com/

6.jpg


2.jpg


1.jpg


12.jpg

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017 6 months 2 weeks ago #11

  • Ady
  • Ady's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Hurricane Force
  • Posts: 927
Love this one! So dynamic, awesome colors and background too.

IMG_1951.jpg

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017 6 months 2 weeks ago #12

  • Gregory
  • Gregory's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Storm Force
  • Posts: 213
Good sailing on Saturday. Quick Vid for the fun of it!

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds