Saturday, December 16, 2017

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017 5 months 3 weeks ago #25

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Bout time! Looking at the graph you'll be likely on your strong wind gear though.
IMG_2031.png

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017 5 months 3 weeks ago #26

• Gregory
  • Storm Force
Yep! There were +25 knots gusts at times. The wind was very irregular throughout the day with plenty of lulls. Nice amont of crowed on the water, kite and windsurf. Started with 7.5 on the 124L and switched quickly to the 6.5. By the time I was spent I could have switched to 5.7. Didn't want to sail the 100L for my first day back on the water as it is more work than the 124L - at least for me. Had a couple of good fast runs over a couple miles long. The knee held-up ok. Going back Sunday around 3:30-4:00. Awesome to be sailing again!

Mike having fun on his 100L freestyle.

IMG_1159.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg

Kite out, windsurf in.

IMG_1142.jpg

WindPower shop. Kite and windsurf lessons were underway all day

IMG_1143.jpg

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017 5 months 3 weeks ago #27

• Mike
  • High Wind
Seems a bit onshore for you guys, glad it worked out!

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017 5 months 2 weeks ago #28

Glad to see you back on the water, Greg, How's that knee feel after sailing on it? That spot has a good exit for the wind. Looks like it's barely above the water.

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017 5 months 2 weeks ago #29

• Gregory
  • Storm Force
Thank you guys. Knee is feeling ok. A bit weak under lateral pressure, so I'm being careful not putting any torque. Yes, the water level is not too far and there's a convenient set of slippery concrete stairs to access the water. Water is at waist-height for about 80 yards out. The only unappealing part is the sewer color of the water; it is partially due to phosphorous runoffs and water treatment plant "cleaned-up" water releases that promotes algae growth... I red that they are trying to lower the authorized level of phosphorus in the water. That should help I guess...

Sunday was a tone of fun: Drag-race with the kites and plenty of jibes. Using Ady's trick to slightly pull the foot out from the strap before engaging the turn proved to be helpful. Putting more downward pressure on the boom helped going through a few successful ones! Here are a few pics.

June 25 session.
Lake Winnebago, Taycheedah, WI. Launch in front of Wind Power. 4-6 kites, 3 Windsurfs. Air temp 68. Wind WNW 17 knots, gust at ~21-23 knots. Water temp 69. Conditions: small chop / 1 foot waves.
Sailed Starboard AtomIQ 124 L + 7.5 Ezzy Cheetah.

GOPR0454.00_03_16_06.Still034.jpg

GOPR0454.00_39_05_00.Still027.jpg

GOPR0454.00_47_00_19.Still026.jpg

GOPR0454.00_53_24_44.Still023.jpg

GOPR0454.00_46_23_02.Still025.jpg

GOPR0454.00_21_22_42.Still028.jpg

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017 5 months 2 weeks ago #30

• Gregory
  • Storm Force
Mike wrote:
Seems a bit onshore for you guys...

Yes it was, but WNW slightly off to the left by a few degrees which allowed 2-mile straight runs along the shore all the way to Deadwood point and return.

You_Doodle_2017-06-27T04_43_01Z.jpg

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017 5 months 1 week ago #31

• Gregory
  • Storm Force
From the June 25 session

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017 5 months 1 week ago #32

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Cool! Take them to the next level now-planing exits.

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017 4 months 1 week ago #33

• Gregory
  • Storm Force
This week was great up in Wisconsin!
- Friday 07/28: Sheboygan, NNE 15-17 knots, 2' swell, no shorebreak, 124L + 8.5 Lion
- Monday: bar
- Tuesday 08/01: Sheboygan, SE pm thermal 15-18 knots, 2-3' swell, light shorebreak, 159L lightwind + 8.5 Lion (cause crack on the AtomIQ 124L)
- Wednesday 08/02: Sheboygan, NE 17-20 knots, 6-7' swell, moderate shorebreak, 159L lightwind + 7.5 Cheetah (cause still 124L crack not fixed and too many lulls for a 100L+6.5)
- Thursday 08/03: nothing

And tomorrow Friday looks even better with a promising NW. Time to get the 100L Starship back on the water. Likely Winnebago in the afternoon, launching at Windpower or Deadwood.

Edits: memory is failing... was drinking at the bar Monday... and there was no wind Thursday! Ha!

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017 4 months 1 week ago #34

• Gregory
  • Storm Force
Oops! Busted that knee again...

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017 4 months 1 week ago #35

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Gregory wrote:
Oops! Busted that knee again...
Damn it!!! The Starship again?

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017 4 months 1 week ago #36

• Gregory
  • Storm Force
Yep! Overpowered in a gust (was on a 5.0), back foot escapes out the strap over a piece of nasty chop and off I go forward with the front foot that releases a tad late. My skills and physical aptitudes (or lack of) are partially at fault for sure but the footstrap setup is clearly wrong. You remember our conversation on the topic? I set the front out and the back as a single centered. This might be ok in wave riding but going straight in heavy chop in 25-30 knots just means trouble: Back foot centered and front foot outward makes the body slightly turned forward which has a tendency to make the back foot pressure less constant and can provoke an unwanted release off the strap if the ride is jerky because of the conditions. When rethinking the session, I should have called it off sooner. I was not in control and should have noticed something was wrong. Dumb.
I also think I set the stance a bit too wide...

I was in SF visiting family a couple of weeks ago and went to Coyote Point for a couple of afternoon sailing in the Bay. I rented the same Starship as mine but the straps were inboard front and back... Wind 22 knots + chop comparable to Winnebago and no problems.
Live and learn.
Time to create page: 0.249 seconds