Saturday, December 16, 2017

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017 7 months 1 week ago #13

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Did you try the 7.5 the day you shot this video? 18 kts average of steady Lake wind sound like a 6.5 to me, so you should be fine with 7.5 at your weight IMO. I gladly give up some early planing for the benefits of a lighter rig.

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017 7 months 1 week ago #14

• Gregory
  • Storm Force
You are a fine detective! Yes, I rigged and sailed the 7.5 earlie that dayr. The wind was 16-18. Then closer to shore, the wind came down as it shifted more North (Wind shadow) so I decided to rig the 8.5 Lion so I didn't had to cork around for the first 100 yards especially as there was 1 to 2 foot shore break. The amazing thing about the Lion3 is that it has more range than the Cheetah to my opinion. The 2 cambers are giving it very stable shape ready to power up in an instant. When overpowered the sail release better than the Cheetah. It is surprisingly easy to gybe and by far my favorite sail. If the Lion3 was available in 7.0, I would be tempted to buy it and sell the 7.5 and 6.5 Cheetah.

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017 7 months 1 week ago #15

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Sure, cambered could be just the right type for you. As I've said before I had them for a while, but then switched to all cam free. Different people, different styles and tastes obviously. Indeed my style of sailing /or lack of it/ is definitely different then yours. You launch, sheat in and head across the wind in a straight line in a very disciplined manner, while I on the other hand will be all over the place-upwind, downwind, in between doing weird stuff and crashing multiple times perhaps in the process :lol: Sometimes I have my straight days of course, but most of the time it's the queer stuff so you can see why I prefer a more dynamic type of sails and boards.

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017 7 months 14 hours ago #16

• Gregory
  • Storm Force
This week looks pretty good in my area:

Tuesday 16
Winnebago SW 18-20kn, 3-8pm, cloud/sun, 25c
Sheboygan SE 13-16kn, 9-2pm, cloud/rain, 10c
Sheboygan SSE 15-20kn, 3-5pm, rain, 13c

Wednesday 17
Winnebago SSE 18-25kn, 4-7pm, cloud/sun, 23c
Sheboygan S 13-15kn, 4-8pm, cloud, 11c

Thursday 18
Winnebago W 16-20kn, 9am-2pm, cloud/sun, 16c
Winnebago NW 12-16kn, 2-4pm, cloud, 14c

Friday 19
Sheboygan NE 14-17kn, 8am-7pm, Sun, 8c

Sunday 21
Winnebago W 13-15kn, 1-5pm, rain, 11c

I'll probably be sailing on lake Winnebago Tuesday - more likely towards the end of the day 4:30-ish or sooner. 2 possible launch: Deadwood point on the east shore. Or the Launch in front of Windpower, whichever has the best wind exposure and a few people sailing.
Winnebago water temp is already in the lower 60s while Lake Michigan is still mid 40s. Air temp is also much warmer inland. The choice is easy.

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017 6 months 3 weeks ago #17

• Gregory
  • Storm Force
May 16.
Lake Winnebago, Taycheedah, WI. Launch at Deadwood Point. 1 kite, 4 Windsurfs. Air temp 84f / 29c. Wind SSW 20-24 knots, gust at ~28 knots, lulls at 16 knots. Water temp 63f / 17c. Conditions: chop / 1.5 foot waves.
Sailed Naish Starship 100 L + 5.7 Sailworks Revo. TOW 1h.

Everything started well: warm air and water. Felt like summer. Gusty wind but nice when powered up. Then 45mn in, I over-rotated my left knee during a jibe. Still not really sure how it happened... Result: busted MCL, 4-6 weeks off. Bummer. Waterstart and return back to shore was interesting... and painful.

This launch site is small but very nice with grassy area for rigging, sandy beach and a very nice bordering property. Great from South to West to North winds. There's a chest-high sandbar extending westward for about 150-200 yards. Falling and suddenly standing on the sandy bottom this far out is surprising.

Winnebago-20_051617.jpg

Winnebago-19_051617.jpg

Winnebago-21_051617.jpg

Winnebago-22_051617.jpg

Winnebago-11_051617.jpg

Winnebago-12_051617.jpg

Jacob in the background:
Winnebago-08_051617.jpg

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017 6 months 2 weeks ago #18

• Gregory
  • Storm Force
Was getting bored and put the footage of my last session in a Vid. At least I got something to do over the weekend.

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017 6 months 2 weeks ago #19

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Greg, I'm looking at your footstraps and I'm wondering if your injury could have been prevented were they placed inboard-the way it is supposed to be?! We'll never know of course, but is worth trying one more time the right way IMO. Also by placing them in the most forward positions will keep more of the board in the water for better control and at the same time will allow you to use a smaller fin without significantly increasing the spin out rate. Smaller fin =less tail lift and less bouncing while jibing. Just some random thoughts inspired by your latest video.
How is your knee doing btw? How soon back on the water?

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017 6 months 2 weeks ago #20

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
After a little investigation I've found out that it's very common for the Starship to be set up like you did with front straps outboard. Even the team riders have sat it up that way for the photo shoots. Apparently the deck of the board is very flat and the inboard positions don't offer enough support for the heels. Your foot finds the needed support closer to the rail instead. I think the board was intended as a flat water blaster initially, but then they decided to broaden the appeal and started marketing it as a bump&jump/ fsw type. Maybe setting it up with 4 foot straps is not a bad idea?!

IMG_1986.jpg

IMG_1985.jpg

The Kode on the other hand has a very dommed deck so my front foot finds a good support regardless if I pull it more out like when sailing upwind or when stuffed inside fully for wave riding .

IMG_1935.jpg

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017 6 months 2 weeks ago #21

• Gregory
  • Storm Force
Ady,
Yes, initially I thought about it the same as you did: front outboard and back centered might have created an awkward position. However, when sailing, I found it didn't felt weird at all and your investigation confirms that. I looked at the footage and found exactly when I over-rotated (could hear me cursing in the background!). It's really hard to tell what went wrong because it doesn't seem like anything went wrong! My foot came off the strap on the vid before I lost my balance it seems. What I recall tho, it felt like I left my foot in there a fraction of a second too long as I flipped the sail. Some young and flexible bodies would have had no issue riding the board half twisted coming off a jibe. But like you mentioned some time ago, I'm not in my 20s and my flexibility is limited I guess. So I really don't know what really happened and what I could have done different to prevent this from happening...

As you said, I was thinking of setting the back straps in pairs more outboard on the Starship but I like the maneuverability the center strap position offers especially in the chop or swell. Being able to move the board at the slightest pressure of the foot either to go around or pass right above chop and swell is really making this board worth the purchase in wind above 20 knots. Instead, the IQ is like sailing on a rail, which is not as fun when the water gets turbulent. Nonetheless, setting the back strap ouboard on the Naish is quick and worth a try to see if it makes a difference in maneurvrability.

On a similar topic, after my last session on the IQ at the beginning of May, I moved the straps even more outboard: I was sailing with my feet slightly pulled away from the straps and found that the curvature of the deck close to the rail offers a more ergonomically comfortable stance and better leverage over the fin. Haven't had a chance to try that new setup on the Starboard yet...

As far as my knee is concerned, things are improving: i can almost walk normally and go through stairs up and down. I went back to the gym and I'm doing stationary bike to make the joint move without much resistance for now. There are movements that are quite painful to do and it is still swollen. It's been 2 weeks now and looking at the progression, i should be able to go back sailing in 2-4 weeks if things are staying the course.

The funny thing is that I totally stopped watching the weather forecast. No need for additional temptations!

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017 6 months 2 weeks ago #22

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Sounds good. You should definitely wait for the swelling to disappear and then maybe a few lighter wind sessions initially until you get back your windsurfing legs. Hopefully sooner then later!
Btw I'm trying to develop a habit of pulling my feet a little bit out of both straps before initiating a jibe or tack. Just slightly without disturbing the board. Because of the cold water we are forced to wear booties most of the time our feet get stuck in the straps once in a while inevitably and then a few jerky movements to wiggle them free and Im crashing the jibe or stalling in the best case scenario. I still don't do it consistently, but slowly getting there.
Another two very annoying nube mistakes that I should have stopped making a long time ago but still keep doing on a regular basis are hooking up unintentionally while flipping the sail and not anticipating the lack of power in the sail after jibing in a lull /which is whole another mistake by itself/. Those 3 easily preventable mistakes-stuck feet, hooking up and falling backwards account for 60% of my jibe failures more or less :(

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017 6 months 6 days ago #23

• Mike
  • High Wind
Nice photos in this thread! Thanks for posting! Glad to see you are keeping windsurf alive in the Maui of the midwest.

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2017 5 months 3 weeks ago #24

• Gregory
  • Storm Force
Saturday June 24. Heading out to Lake Winnebago after 6 weeks off. 13-15 knots, finally time to get the new lightweight bd kit to good use.

IMG_1135.png
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds