Saturday, May 18, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: The right gap between sail sizes

The right gap between sail sizes 5 years 4 months ago #25

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Caramba...merde! White logo on black panel, pardon monsieur corsaire, I forgot the pirate touch ;)
The red and yellow one looks like a chinese souvenir a bit , no?
31FCA44A-9827-403A-9FA3-DC2C43D942B2.jpeg

The right gap between sail sizes 5 years 4 months ago #26

Reid Fillman wrote:
...On really hot humid days 90 F + the wind felt "soft".

Last year we had a day 93 F and the 6.9 was required in wind that looked like 5.8. Then I sailed a day that was 50 F and the 5.8 worked fine in wind that looked 6.9. Meter readings confirmed both cases.

So on cold dry days you really are feeling those gusts.

Very interesting. Tanks for sharing Reid.

At the end, choosing the right sail when you're on the beach remains fairly empirical and often based on the experience of the particular spot. Local factors such as a bluff nearby, a large structure or building, the water temp difference with the air, overcast vs sunny, etc. are just adding to the equation. For a given spot, the way the wind behaves and the signs on the water can be very different from one season to the next. With the formation of white caps for example, it is my impression that in spring when the water is cold, the air is still cool and white caps seems to form at lower wind speed than in the summer during a afternoon thermal. Is there any scientific evidence of that?

Also, an other determining factor that's been interesting to experience: I found that sailing on freshwater often requires a sail larger than on saltwater for a similar wind speed. In the warm 84 degrees water and air of the Caribbean, I was surprised I could easily plane a 115l with a 7.2 in slightly less than 15kn (I'm 190lb!). In contrast, on Lake Michigan, I need 13-14kn established with the 8.5 and 16-17kn with the 7.0. Of couyrse that depends on how much energy I put in pumping to get the board going but I'm guessing this situation might have something to do with the extra buoyancy that ocean saltwater offers... more floaty, less pushing water and faster release maybe?

The right gap between sail sizes 5 years 4 months ago #27

Ady wrote:
Caramba...merde! White logo on black panel, pardon monsieur corsaire, I forgot the pirate touch ;)
The red and yellow one looks like a chinese souvenir a bit , no?

Chinese Souvenir? Oh merde! Very true! :lol:
No problemo! This is my new Chinese Pirate theme! ...And as long as the White House don't misinterpret this for a naval invasion.

The right gap between sail sizes 5 years 4 months ago #28

How about this? Anything more desirable in these other 3 schemes?

LionColorOption2.jpg

The right gap between sail sizes 5 years 4 months ago #29

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
The second from left cuts it! Pirate flag and everything :)

The right gap between sail sizes 5 years 4 months ago #30

Greg from Sheb. wrote:
With the formation of white caps for example, it is my impression that in spring when the water is cold, the air is still cool and white caps seems to form at lower wind speed than in the summer during a afternoon thermal. Is there any scientific evidence of that?

Tom Skilling WGN-TV chief meteorologist had a nice video segment on this that I can't find. Air temp relative to water temp. You want cool air on warm water for the best "push" on waves. He showed why waves are bigger in the fall than the spring on Lake Michigan. The cold water cools the air 3 feet above the water making a buffer. Warmer air rides over the top. Cool air on warm water makes the biggest waves. Your summer warmer air is riding over the top of the cooler buffer.

Greg from Sheb. wrote:
Also, an other determining factor that's been interesting to experience: I found that sailing on freshwater often requires a sail larger than on saltwater for a similar wind speed. In the warm 84 degrees water and air of the Caribbean, I was surprised I could easily plane a 115l with a 7.2 in slightly less than 15kn (I'm 190lb!). In contrast, on Lake Michigan, I need 13-14kn established with the 8.5 and 16-17kn with the 7.0. ... I'm guessing this situation might have something to do with the extra buoyancy that ocean saltwater offers... more floaty, less pushing water and faster release maybe?

- Salt water buoyancy like you said, and planing power/lift on salt water
- Wind at sea level(more pressure)
- Ocean steady trade wind.
- Warm water - no 3 foot cold air buffer above the water.

The right gap between sail sizes 5 years 4 months ago #31

Greg from Sheb. wrote:
Can't ask a designer to not design, right? So, here are a few color ways. ...I certainly will appreciate the input. Please vote! :lol:

Kevin Pritchard, Ezzy Elite prototype 2019
EzzyEliteprototype.jpg

Kevin Pritchard, Ezzy Elite prototype 2019
EzzyEliteprototype_2.jpg

The right gap between sail sizes 5 years 4 months ago #32

Hey! I did a few Lions like that too! Pirates, that's what I'm talkin' about!
I don't think he moved ahead with that color for 2019 though. A bit too close to Point7 color schemes I'd say.
I suggested he alters the Zeta by switching a couple of clear Xply panels for colored ones, so the design could allow for more bold contrasts but he can't make that change on the fly at the factory...

The right gap between sail sizes 5 years 4 months ago #33

I settled for this below. Thanks to all who provided their opinion and Ady who provided wise observations about the Chinese Souvenir. This should be here in 6-7 weeks. Can’t wait to sail these beauties. Good equipment doesn’t make a good sailor but a good looking pirate sail should scare the kites away! :woohoo:

8BA8EECD-9CF7-4BA8-8D02-BFEF2245BF0F.jpeg

The right gap between sail sizes 5 years 2 months ago #34

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Reply from Sailworks to my question on FB about the concept behind the Hucker sail. I think their answer can apply to most Ezzy sails.
“Hi Ady, the Hucker is Dale Cook's signature sail. It's made for power sailing; go fast, turn hard, jump high. Dale likes to ride very powered up, so there is more rig tension than you'll find on the Retros and Revos, which further increases it's stability vs those sails. The higher center of effort helps to improve jumps and hang time. The power in the sail does allow for rigging a slightly smaller sail than you would when rigging a Retro or Revo. In comparison the Retro and Revo still offer impressive stability which you've probably noticed already, but they also offer a softer more forgiving feel due to a lower center of effort and a bit less rig tension. The Revo (and Gyro) will also de-power for maneuvers or wave rides much more easily when compared to the Hucker.”

The right gap between sail sizes 5 years 1 month ago #35

Ady wrote:
Reply from Sailworks to my question on FB about the concept behind the Hucker sail. I think their answer can apply to most Ezzy sails.

Thanks for looking into this Ady. Yes, looks like the Hucker and Ezzy's have something in common. For now though, I'm going Ezzy all the way! I sold my Revo 5.7 and the corresponding mast. I sold my Ezzy Cheetah 6.5 and I'm still selling my Revo 5.0 and Ezzy Cheetah 7.5 if anyone is interested. Check the Iwindsurf classified adds.

But yesterday I received my new missing pieces: custom-colored Ezzy Lion 6.0, Zeta 5.2 and 4.7! Stoke! Just rigged the 5.2 to see if it had some sizable draft and yes it does! No chance in de-powering this baby! Luckily, I don't need to, since I just go out to blast to my heart's content! :woohoo:

I'm all set, thank you!

Lion 8.5, 7.0, 6.0 and Zeta 5.2, 4.7
QuiverEzzy2019.jpg

Quiver2019.jpg

Junior holding the rigged Zeta 5.2
Zeta52-rigged.jpg

The right gap between sail sizes 5 years 1 month ago #36

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Wow, that Zeta has more shape then a Retro! Your kind of sail :)
8025BD38-23CF-493D-89F3-045D940EAE2B.jpeg
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds