Saturday, May 18, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

• Page:

TOPIC: looking for some gears

looking for some gears 5 years 11 months ago #1

• Sylvain
  • Storm Force
I just come back from a 2 weeks vacation in France and have had the chance to have 5 minutes of good windsurfing, which has not happened in 5 years.
This reminded me how much I love it, and though I told my brother in law 2 years ago I would go windsurf in central Illinois, where I reside, and never did, this time I am serious
So I am looking for some gears. I have nothing.
I used to own a 117 Liters Fanatic bee (2002 or 2003), but 5 years later, I have gained 20 lbs (now at a whooping 185lbs)... I am thinking a 125 to 135 Liter board would be good.
Is anyone looking at re-selling theirs?

From a sail standpoint, I am in central illinois, but it would take me 1 hr or more to reach a lake (evergreen or clinton lake). This means, I could only go on limited days (not an evening). Would a 7.0 m2 or more be my most useful sail.
If so, does anyone has anything.

looking for some gears 5 years 11 months ago #2

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
A good all around size for you would be something between 110-120 L and a 7.0 sail would be a good fit. You can add later a 20-30 L bigger one for moderate wind and a 10-20L smaller for strong wind. I’ll post a link for some used board options and they have used sails too. For a lot more used gear check them out late fall when they release the current rental fleet. The local market is extremely poor , but once in a while some good stuff pops up on this site or Craigslist.
www.bigwinds.com/used-windsurf-boards

looking for some gears 5 years 11 months ago #3

• Sylvain
  • Storm Force
Thanks Ady
I also found this one www.the-house.com/windsurfing.html

looking for some gears 5 years 11 months ago #4

10 pages in Windsurfing Gear. You might reply to these post to see if they're still available (they'll get a notification email). If so, tell them you're sending a Private Message for contact.

2014 JP X-Cite 135L
windsurfillinois.com/index.php/forum/win...-cite-135lt-for-sale

Drops 140 XTC
windsurfillinois.com/index.php/forum/win...rfing-board-for-sale

Goya FXR 125
windsurfillinois.com/index.php/forum/win...r-125-windsurf-board

Exocet Sting 2011 124L
windsurfillinois.com/index.php/forum/win...sed-windsurfing-gear

2015 Aerotech 7.4 Freespeed sail
windsurfillinois.com/index.php/forum/win...-sail-new-in-box-565

2012 Maui Sails Global 6.8
windsurfillinois.com/index.php/forum/win...al-6-8-reduced-price

And a lot more other stuff in the pages look for the red $ tags. There's a lot that don't say "SOLD"

looking for some gears 5 years 11 months ago #5

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Sylvain wrote:
Thanks Ady
I also found this one www.the-house.com/windsurfing.html
I thought you were looking specifically for used gear?! Otherwise Isthmus isthmussailboards.com is a popular store for new stuff. I’ve purchased a lot of equipment from them through the years including all my wetsuits. Are you ready for the initial investment? The amount you may have to spend until you collect a decent quiver of 2-3 boards, 4-5 sails , masts, booms , the rest of the rigging and water wear could be shockingly high!

looking for some gears 5 years 11 months ago #6

• Sylvain
  • Storm Force
I would much rather buy used. Per Reid's recommendation, I am glancing through the past posts on this forum. I assumed that any post more than 1 year old would be somewhat irrelevant.

looking for some gears 5 years 11 months ago #7

• Sylvain
  • Storm Force
Kind of too late to ask for confirmation, but I bought myself a rig today (6.8 m2) off isthmussail website
It seems to be a good deal. What do you guys think?
isthmussailboards.com/2017-gaastra-hybrid-hd-rig.html

looking for some gears 5 years 11 months ago #8

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
I can’t say anything specific since I’ve never had this sail, but it looks fine to me. Straight forward to rig and with a good low end power. Taking into account your weight I would estimate you’ll be fairly comfortable in the 18-22 mph wind range for consistent planing. You should add a bigger sail at some point to be able to lower that threshold to 14-18 mph. Something like this Severne Convert 8.5 will do- isthmussailboards.com/2018-severne-convert.html
How far have your planing skills progressed? Can you plane in the footsraps yet? Do you know how to tune a sail for stronger/lighter wind conditions?
PS: I don’t see any harness lines in that package

looking for some gears 5 years 11 months ago #9

• Sylvain
  • Storm Force
Ady, thank you for the feedback.
I noticed the lack of harness lline in the package so I bought that sepatately
As far as a harness itself, it is a lot more expensive than I remember, so I will get my harness from France ship back to me in the USA.

I will definitely add a sail later, maybe I will wait for the end of the season, hoping to give me time for a good deal

As far as level, I would say I am definitely a (very) slow learner. I use the straps and plan in the straps, but I am a bit clunky going into the straps, so I would say I need more wind than most to plan in the straps. I also feel a lot more at ease only using one strap in the back (placed right in the center of the board) rather than having 2 straps,

As far as tuning my sail, I will admit I have always thought that in high wind you downhaul as much as you can, but over the last 2 days, refreshing my skills, I have found out that this is not true at all. If I go to Clinton lake, it might be useful to have someone correct me a few times to make sure I can translate what I read online in practice

Thanks again for the feedback, the info on wind range for the sail is super useful.

looking for some gears 5 years 11 months ago #10

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
So, you are doing pretty good then. More downhaul and outhaul for stronger wind and vice-versa for lighter wind still stands , just follow the sail rigging instructions and don’t overdo.
Hope to see you at Clinton , although it might not be as soon as I would’ve liked-the weather doesn’t play nice lately :(

looking for some gears 5 years 11 months ago #11

Sylvain wrote:
Kind of too late to ask for confirmation, but I bought myself a rig today (6.8 m2) off isthmussail website
It seems to be a good deal. What do you guys think?
isthmussailboards.com/2017-gaastra-hybrid-hd-rig.html

Pros:

Gaastra Hybrid HD
X-ply. Long good history of sail making.

GT CC60
60% carbon. Constant curve will work with most sail brands now(Gaastra, Goya, Ezzy, Maui Sails...)

Aeron 1-bolt EP tendon base
Tendon

Cons:

GT CC60
It's not RDM. I prefer skinny mast for 490 and down. RDMs have a thicker wall thickness, durability, easier rigging, more effective sail area, less drag.

Exchange upgrade cost: $20 more for a RDM GT CC60

Aeron HD AL standard Medium EP extension
Not RDM.

Exchange upgrade cost: $21 more for a RDM extension to work with RDM masts

Aeron 1-bolt EP tendon base
Not a 2 bolt quick-release. One bolts like to slip without a rubber disk(home made).

Exchange upgrade cost: $32 more for a 2 bolt quick-release.

RRD Flow AL T-8 29mm grip 180
At 180 can't go much smaller than 6.2 roughly. Doesn't have an articulating head. Not a monocoque one piece body. Doesn't have modern bend. T8 alloy not as strong and less stiffness as T9 alloy, 29mm grip. I like 27mm.

Exchange upgrade cost: $89 more for a T9 Alloy monocoque 27mm 150-210cm

Total exchange upgrade cost
Only $162 give or take.

Over $700 to do it later without exchange.

My 2 cents. Hope this helps.

looking for some gears 5 years 11 months ago #12

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
How long have you been windsurfing Sylvain?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds