Saturday, May 18, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

• Page:

TOPIC: looking for some gears

looking for some gears 5 years 11 months ago #13

• Sylvain
  • Storm Force
I have been windsurfing since I was 15 years old (I am 37 now). But, that might be mis-leading, cuz I only windsurfed over the summer, and in reality, I only had 6 or 7 good days per year.
I have completely stopped over the last 5 years. But this summer I rented a 200 L board with a 6.5 m2 in 8 knots (gust at 15) and it was enough to renew the passion.

Like I said, I am a very slow learner, so I am really not all that good. Still can't gybe... that is embarassing.

Like Robbie Naish would say when someone asked him to define what a big wave is: "it is big when your heart is pumping". I am all not that good at all, but when I go straight from one bank of a lake to another at medium speed, it makes my heart pump.

looking for some gears 5 years 11 months ago #14

• Sylvain
  • Storm Force
Thanks Reid
I will hold on on all that for now

looking for some gears 5 years 11 months ago #15

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Indeed, with 6 or 7 sessions a year you can learn only so much. You are not slow learner, you just haven’t invested enough in water time and performance gear. Both of them a critical for a faster skill progression. That’s all right though, if crossing a lake without a crash is good enough then you are all set gear wise. But be warned! Sailing with the Clinton crew may change your mind , their enthusiasm is contagious :woohoo: Don’t miss the chance to meet them tomorrow, it seems like Reid is planning to sail at the Marina.

looking for some gears 5 years 11 months ago #16

Sylvain wrote:
Thanks Reid
I will hold on on all that for now

All I'm showing on the previous page is the upgrade exchange price total is around $162 from Isthmus's items on their site. Once you get any of the current items being sent to you wet all that changes. Meaning there is no more exchange with Isthmus . If I was in your shoes I would want somebody to show me that.

looking for some gears 5 years 11 months ago #17

Sylvain wrote:
As far as level, I would say I am definitely a (very) slow learner. I use the straps and plan in the straps, but I am a bit clunky going into the straps, so I would say I need more wind than most to plan in the straps. I also feel a lot more at ease only using one strap in the back (placed right in the center of the board) rather than having 2 straps,

As far as tuning my sail, I will admit I have always thought that in high wind you downhaul as much as you can, but over the last 2 days, refreshing my skills, I have found out that this is not true at all. If I go to Clinton lake, it might be useful to have someone correct me a few times to make sure I can translate what I read online in practice.

Hope you scored that 135 L. That sweet thing was just sitting there. If so, bring that and whatever gear you have to Clinton sometime and we'll help you with any rigging and riding tips. And have a fun day. We're all learning something. There's a lot of nice videos in the Windsurfing Instruction forum on many topics.

windsurfillinois.com/index.php/forum/windsurfing-instruction

looking for some gears 5 years 11 months ago #18

• Sylvain
  • Storm Force
I should get the rig tomorrow and as far as the JP australia, I am scheduled to pick it up on Monday
If wind allows, I hope to windsurf in Illinois for the first time this month

looking for some gears 5 years 11 months ago #19

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Awesome! Where are you meeting Manuel? Wolf lake or at his home?

looking for some gears 5 years 11 months ago #20

• Sylvain
  • Storm Force
Either his home or his work
I am picking up my 11 years old at O hare, he is coming back from France.

looking for some gears 5 years 11 months ago #21

1. Where do you live in central IL? My guess is maybe some smaller but still sailable bodies of water nearer to you are being overlooked. The lake I sail most is a little less than 100 acres. Sometimes I sail on one that is about 50 acres; sometimes I'm on a river that is only about 200 ft wide.

2. I wouldn't do any of the upgrades Reid suggested. The equipment in that package is certainly more than good enough. Spend any additional money on a larger used sail which fits within the range of your boom and mast plus your extension, or on a wetsuit for extending your season, or on a cheap used longboard for lighter wind days which will also make the smaller, less open bodies of water more sailable.

3. If you can find a nearby parking lot which is 100' by 200' or larger and fairly open to the wind, consider land sailing. Many of the lots which are large enough are also lighted at night. Maybe you can have evening sessions that are only 10 minutes from where you live. I can help with some guidance on finding a large enough board with large enough wheels. Unfortunately, someplace between $75 & $150 is the likely cost of a used mountain board. You can contact me directly
(This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.)

looking for some gears 5 years 10 months ago #22

• Sylvain
  • Storm Force
Del
I live in Peoria, IL. The river would be great, but there is no way I would go in there. Dead fishes floating up at the surface of the water, when you google something like is the peoria river safe and you understand why there are so many dead fish.

Reid:
I got my rig and tried to rig it up in my backyard. It is different than my 1994 Gaastra sail at home. I will definitely take you up on your offer to demo live how to tune it

looking for some gears 5 years 10 months ago #23

Good news.

This is the boom that was in the rig package in the link (previous page)

rrd_flow.jpg

This is the better boom they sent Sylvain without even asking. That's a deal!

rrd_avanta.jpg

Boom! :)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds