Monday, April 29, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

• Page:

TOPIC: WSW for Tuesday 11.06.18

WSW for Tuesday 11.06.18 5 years 5 months ago #1

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
FBC644B3-254E-461B-9AB7-5A30E2B22F87.jpeg

I’m thinking Wolf tomorrow.

WSW for Tuesday 11.06.18 5 years 5 months ago #2

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
3AAAE9AE-2961-4C8B-84CA-4D6407F82EC3.jpeg

9271A0B2-A157-449E-9B1C-2989D0116825.jpeg

2B024CE2-353B-4272-9264-B97B0FEB7F61.jpeg

0FAA7BCE-0926-4933-AABE-4A77D2D1C5D8.jpeg

I think the Lansing sensor represents the closest the conditions on the field . Roman and Bartek were already sailing when I arrived around 10:45. I rigged 5.2 /94 initially, but that was a bit much and I switched to 4.6 /my least favourite/. It was ok , but it’s Wolf-very gusty and the stronger the wind , the worst it gets. It’s difficult with a small board and a lot of work. By the end of the session I switched to 5.2 again and had my best jibe of the day-in the pictures.
Things worth ment are the narrow spread of the harness lines, which I liked and the moving of the back foot before hooking out /copied from an instructional video/. I noticed that I’m not stomping hard this way and there is a less chance if upsetting the board. Over-sheeting worked better, but still feels kinda awkward . I don’t know if its the boom or the board, it doesn’t feel like that when over-sheeting my big sails with the slalom boom and the wide 4 straps Atom.
It didn’t feel too cold, so I managed to sail for 4 hrs until 15:30. Although not my best day , I’m happy to have sailed before the colder weather hits, you never know when the next chance will come -it could be days, it could be months.

WSW for Tuesday 11.06.18 5 years 5 months ago #3

Ady wrote:
By the end of the session I switched to 5.2 again and had my best jibe of the day-in the pictures.

Looks great!

Did you turn the google map off behind tracking? Switching it on or off Is that a function in 7 for the map?

Glad you got out. I see snow in the forecast. :dry:

WSW for Tuesday 11.06.18 5 years 5 months ago #4

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
:( No map tracking option on the Windows GoPro Quick app. No Google maps for Windows either. Let’s see what am I going to “kraft” on the IPhone today .
Not loosing hope yet for sailing again soon . According the Weather Channel it is supposed to warm up a little in the second half of the next week with some SW wind on the way.

WSW for Tuesday 11.06.18 5 years 5 months ago #5

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
The picture below doesn’t need any gps gauges, but a napkin for sure :sick:
5E4A360B-A40F-4902-BE6B-5559DA2A2544.jpeg

I have nose plugs and my sinuses are on overdrive-trying to flush out the blockage. Bad for pictures, good for sinus health-my nose is not stuffy today.
I ruined your dinner, didn’t I :evil: :lol:

WSW for Tuesday 11.06.18 5 years 5 months ago #6

Nice! Awesome that you got out. How polluted is wolf lake? Its been on my to do list for years, somehow i've never made it over there. Thanks

WSW for Tuesday 11.06.18 5 years 5 months ago #7

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
wendell garvelink wrote:
Nice! Awesome that you got out. How polluted is wolf lake? Its been on my to do list for years, somehow i've never made it over there. Thanks
I’m not really qualified to answer your question, but honestly I’m more comfortable soaking in lakes then I would ever be in a park district’s swimming pool. I consider myself a regular Wolf sailor since 2011 and I’m still kicking, neither have I heard complaints from other regulars, it’s the “irregulars” that usually whine and hold their noses. The bad rep , IMO, comes from it’s less fortunate past and the dark, muddy colour of the water caused by the moving bottom sediment /its a river fed lake after all/ and also the foam that sometimes forms along the shore, which may come from dead algae-the same happens along the ocean shore. It’s a dynamic environment teaming with wildlife-lots of fish and all kinds of birds, migratory and not, including swans. In fact the fish is so numerous now, it may become a sailing hazard-2 fat monsters tried to jump on top of my board on Tuesday. Nobody has time to go fishing anymore it seems-the unexpected consequence of record high employment.
On top of it’s natural charm the city of Hammond is doing an incredible job developing the land between the lake and Calumet Ave. for recreational use with a beautiful concert pavilion, miles of paved paths, a new pedestrian bridge over the road, 3 big parking lots and meticulously maintained landscaping and amenities. I don’t know what is the agenda behind all of this investment, but its modernity has started to look a bit out of place surrounded by shabby neighbourhoods and industrial facilities.
Concerning wind conditions, there is not much to brag about unfortunately. Generally anything from S to W direction works more or less, with SW being the preferred wind direction. I like it the most when it’s in the 15-25 mph range for fast blasting on a racy gear . Beware the constantly growing shallows, they’ve eaten a few of my fins.
One of the Wolf curiosities: a few days ago I received an email from Google about a picture that I’ve posted on Google maps 2 years ago that has been viewed 40 000 times! That’s a lot if people interested enough in the location to take the time to browse the numerous pictures.

WSW for Tuesday 11.06.18 5 years 5 months ago #8

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
815F8674-7659-4640-87FC-E64ED56F91EC.png

New personal speed record since starting to use the gps :woohoo:

WSW for Tuesday 11.06.18 5 years 5 months ago #9

Yes!!! That will be a cool thing to keep track of, 30 mph sounds pretty quick to me!
I'm enjoying your videos Ady, nice job!

WSW for Tuesday 11.06.18 5 years 5 months ago #10

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Rich Guttschow wrote:
Yes!!! That will be a cool thing to keep track of, 30 mph sounds pretty quick to me!
I'm enjoying your videos Ady, nice job!
Thanks Rich! Glad you like them!

WSW for Tuesday 11.06.18 5 years 5 months ago #11

I thought I'd ask this group for quick advice. Since I last tried to edit GoPro videos a couple of years ago, GoPro Studio (the editing program) went defunct, and then some software arose that needed Windows10 which I don't have (but could use a kids old computer if I have to with Win10). All I generally want to do is simple splicing together and getting rid of excess video.
The old software expanded mp4 to very large AVI, which then could be cut and pasted, then converted back to mp4. It was dicy at best, prone to failures, I'd find it would get stuck on certain parts of video that I could excise and get it to work.
So what is the simplest way to do all or any parts of the tasks of 1) expanding to AVI, 2) cutting splicing, 3) converting back to mp4, all with native resolution.

WSW for Tuesday 11.06.18 5 years 5 months ago #12

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
I got my camera less then a month ago so I have very limited experience with the software. The GoPro Quick app for Windows 10 doesn’t do much so I did my last video clip on my iPhone entirely using the GoPro Splice for iOS. I think this app has all the editing functions that I need like cutting, cropping and combining again, plus much more. The only option I couldn’t find on it is rotating which the Windows app has.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds