Sunday, May 05, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Lake Forest Area Launch Info

Lake Forest Area Launch Info 2 years 10 months ago #1

Hello Chicago area windsurfers. I am a very experienced 40 year veteran windsurfer and will be in Lake Forest soon after the 4th for a couple weeks. I am looking for more information primarily for Lake Michigan windsurfing launch spot opportunities and information from Evanston north into Wisconsin. Have heard about Greenwood but wonder where you park, actual launch spot, any entry fee, restrictions etc. Can you wind or wing foil there too? Also are there any good spots farther north around Lake Forest into Wisconsin? Thanks for any info and recommendations.
Good winds & waves,
Chuck
North Carolina

Lake Forest Area Launch Info 2 years 10 months ago #2

Here are few Lake Michigan launches in Wisconsin you might want to consider.

Sheboygan, WI
South Beach:
- Moderate 15-25kn S to SE thermals are happening this time of year. Great for fin and foil. Can be more challenging if wind is in excess of 25-30kn because of strong current and chaotic shore break - but fun when behind. White sandy beach launch and free parking off the street just on the edge of the beach. Grassy rigging. At the moment there's a sandbar to watch if foiling about 30-50 yards off the shore. Water is usually very clear but can be on the cold side. Wetsuit needed most days.
- Moderate to strong NE happens once in a while. When it does, swell 5'-10' is not uncommon. Shorebreak can be a challenge. NE wind brings warm currents back to shore so water might be warmer than usual. Once tack upwind a bit, there's great flat water sailing along the south jetty for a few 100 yards and swell+wave sailing further out past the lighthouse: two worlds at once! Easy parking south of the Blue Harbor hotel (open grassy area off the beach).

North Beach:
- Strong SSE or SE wind (above 30kn) can happen and North Beach is a good place to launch from. If caught early, the bay will offer a relatively protected launch with minimal shore break, but as the waves get stronger, the shore break can become treacherous. Also, one difficulty is the 100-yard wind shadow due to the marina building. Not an issue when limited shore break but certainly challenging when it has formed. There's a reef 1/2 mile out in the bay that is fun to surf or to jibe on the swell. Parking is on the street, Grass rigging. easy access to water. This is also THE surfing spot for many locals.

Two-Rivers, WI
- Can be good during SSW and SW winds but can also be a hit or miss. When it happens, nice shorebreak with surfable waves. The beach near the coast gard station just north of the harbor entrance is a good sport or just a little further north is ok as well.

Milwaukee, WI
- Bradford Beach on SW days. Seems like it needs to be at least 20kn to make it a worthwhile place to go. Waves will break near shore and a few windsurfers and kiters are wave-riding on this spot. Parking is more difficult as it is a popular beach during warm and sunny days.

If you stop by Sheboygan, contact me via PM here and I can join you if I'm available.
Cheers.

Lake Forest Area Launch Info 2 years 10 months ago #3

Unfortunately, Evanston (Greenwood) and Wilmette (Gillson) are permit only sites, and you will have to find out if daily passes are available for purchase (they were not during COVID). As your son is a Lake Forest resident, there may be some advantage for Gillson.
Heading up north, there is Waukegan, Kenosha (Alford Beach), Milwaukee (Bradford on N and NE, McKinley on S and SW).

Lake Forest Area Launch Info 2 years 10 months ago #4

Chuck Rhodes wrote:
...I am looking for more information primarily for Lake Michigan windsurfing launch spot opportunities and information from Evanston north into Wisconsin. Have heard about Greenwood but wonder where you park, actual launch spot, any entry fee, restrictions etc. Can you wind or wing foil there too? Also are there any good spots farther north around Lake Forest into Wisconsin? Thanks for any info and recommendations. .

Link: City of Evanston

Evanston_fee.png

Green Beach from the Launches page. Zoomed in so you can see the parking.
Evanston.png

Lee Strreet Beach. The next beach south of Evanston. Street Parking.
Lee_street.png

Gillson Beach. The next beach north of Evanston in Wilmette.
Gillson_beach.png

Waukegan. North of Lake Forest
Waukegan.png

Illinois Beach Park. North of Waukegan.
Illinois_beach.png

With any of the spots on Lake Michigan you'll have to have a day with wind and no shorebreak for foiling.

Lake Andrea, WI as Jason mentioned, " I've been wing foiling at Lake Andrea near Kenosha. Nice safe lake with flat water and good wind. "
Lake_Andrea.png

Lake Forest Area Launch Info 2 years 10 months ago #5

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure the free beach passes do not apply to launching at Greenwood, only public swimming. There will be swimming in a small area of Greenwood. If you got somebody with a permit to take your gear onto the beach (they don't keep track what you shlep in and out after you've checked in), and saunter over to the sailing side......

Lake Forest Area Launch Info 2 years 10 months ago #6

Thanks everyone for all the info. Definitely helps me begin to get familiarized with the windsurfing spots and options there. I expect to be visiting my son and his family in Lake Forest several times a year so look forward to getting some great - lake sailing and foiling sessions in too while there.
Good winds & waves,

Chuck Rhodes
Boone, NC

Lake Forest Area Launch Info 2 years 9 months ago #7

Chuck, just givin' ya a heads up for Thursday afternoon - evening. 7/08/2021

Greenwood base wind forecast 7/08/2021
Greenwood_7_08_2021.png

Lake Forest Area Launch Info 2 years 9 months ago #8

Reid, Thanks for the Thursday 8 July wind forecast however, not there yet. Had to delay trip there until Monday.

Lake Forest Area Launch Info 2 years 9 months ago #9

Chuck Rhodes wrote:
Reid, Thanks for the Thursday 8 July wind forecast however, not there yet. Had to delay trip there until Monday.

It's going on your permanent record.

Greenwood. 2 windsurfers and 3 surfers out.[ /b]
Greenwood_7_08_2021_2021-07-09.png

Wilmette Buoy
wilmette_buoy_7_08_2021.png
Time to create page: 0.246 seconds