Saturday, April 27, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Foiling Thread - Slingshot i84 wing

Foiling Thread - Slingshot i84 wing 3 years 11 months ago #1

• Gerry
  • High Wind
Toward the end of the 2018 season I picked up a Slingshot Hoverglide, the "old" version with the two blue wings. I got it out about 4 or 5 times, slow progress but I was starting to get some rides of about 5-10 seconds (which felt very unstable) when the season ended. In Feb 2019 I went down to Wyatt and Tyson's place in Baja and tried their setup (wizard 125 with the i76) a few times, I think I got a few rides of abut 50 - 100 yards but still felt pretty unstable when flying - but I was hooked!

May 2019 I had back surgery, which meant I lost the summer season last year. Did a trip to Bonaire in December 2019 (after I hit the six month mark post-surgery), I only sailed regular fins but my back felt good which is great. That was the last time I was on the water, I was really hoping to get back on a foil in April in Corpus (Worldwinds rents them) but the virus shut that down. I ended up buying a used Slingshot Wizard 150 for a great price, and just pulled the trigger on the i84 front wing, which came last week. That thing is huge! I have the new wing mounted in C position, which is what's recommended for the 84.

Looking forward to getting back on Lake Michigan to try out this new setup, planning to share my experiences here - and I hope I will get some tips from others! I know Kevin K. has experience with both the 76 and 84 wings and see that Greg from S. is foiling. Kevin, it is nice to see you posting here, you probably don't remember me but you hooked me up with a Maui boom head a couple years ago.

More to come, I will post again after my first session or two. My goal is light wind and maximum stability - which is why I got the big wing. Hope I don't regret it!

Foiling Thread - Slingshot i84 wing 3 years 11 months ago #2

Hey Gerry, I'm looking forward to see and read about you foiling progress this year. Tell us about your experience along the way. Your new kit should allow you to fly in almost no wind! Glad to hear you back is OK.

After finishing last year with pretty good progress and several sessions with runs lasting several minutes without crashes, I've been out once this year and it didn't ended well. But beyond breaking stuff, I felt very unstable and pretty much back where I was last year in July. :( This has slightly slowed down my enthusiasm, and 38-40 degree water isn't helping because I know I'll be in the water a lot more with a foil than on a fin board. Anyhow, let's see how we both progress this year!

Foiling Thread - Slingshot i84 wing 3 years 11 months ago #3

• Gerry
  • High Wind
Hi Greg - yes, I saw your post about the mishap with the nose protector! Nice job with the cold water self-rescue - and I suppose it's good to know that this may be a one step forward, two steps back experience :( The cold water is off-putting for sure, I am definitely expecting to spend more time in the water vs jumping on a fin board.

Looking forward to seeing how we both progress. Here's some inspiration, Tyson makes it look so easy!!

Foiling Thread - Slingshot i84 wing 3 years 11 months ago #4

• Gerry
  • High Wind
This doesn't relate to the foil, but went out on Lake Michigan for the first time of the season yesterday (first time on LM in a full year for me). Wind was onshore and I thought my 7.5 would be enough- but it wasn't. I was on my way back in to rig the 8.5, shlogging deep down wind, when I lost balance and fell in. Heard a strange noise as the sail went down - broken tendon. Arghh. It was at least 10 years old so really my fault for not changing it years ago. Luckily I was almost straight off the beach I started from, less than half a mile. I disconnected the sail (which was hanging on by the safety rope) and was able to sit on the board, hold up the sail a bit, and drift in with the wind. Just had to do a little paddling to stay on course. Very glad it was onshore!

So I looked at the tendon on my second base, no visible cracks but it was bulging a bit like the one that failed. When I took it apart, sure enough there was a little crack by one of the bolt holes - which is where the failure was on the water. I'm replacing both with streamlined tendons, they kind of change color when you need to replace them and fit my chinook bases perfectly.

So you might want to check your tendon . . . . :P I can post pics if anyone would find it helpful.

Foiling Thread - Slingshot i84 wing 3 years 11 months ago #5

Have read several stories about tendon failure, thus curious why they became favored over the classic rubber UJ. Have never had a rubber UJ ever come close to seeming like it would fail. After about 6-8 years, I feel like the cup above the UJ is starts to wiggle a bit more and get worried about metal corrosion, so I replace the whole base, but never suspected any problem with the UJ. The tendon is stiffer to bend to attach the board, less shock absorbing, no advantage for any purpose except the reputation for high performance transmission of sail power.

Foiling Thread - Slingshot i84 wing 3 years 11 months ago #6

Gerry wrote:
I'm replacing both with streamlined tendons, they kind of change color when you need to replace them and fit my chinook bases perfectly.

So you might want to check your tendon . . . . :P I can post pics if anyone would find it helpful.

David Mark wrote:
After about 6-8 years, I feel like the cup above the UJ is starts to wiggle a bit more and get worried about metal corrosion, so I replace the whole base,...

Yep, good points, guys.

Thread: Gear Safety Check "Let's Safen up!"
https://windsurfillinois.com/index.php/forum/windsurfiling-gear/898-gear-safety-check-let-s-safen-up#5573

"...Also how old is the whole assembly? The bolts holding the US cups can eventually shear and there's no strap backup for that, only one for the tendon...."
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds