Thursday, May 09, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Gear Safety Check "Let's Safen up!"

Gear Safety Check "Let's Safen up!" 4 years 11 months ago #1

Tendon

When was the last time you checked your tendon? Ady showed a photo of his torn tendon. The next time I went out I just stepped in the water with my board and sail and remembered to look...sure enough. Here's a picture of mine. You have to bend it to see tears. Also how old is the whole assembly? The bolts holding the US cups can eventually shear and there's no strap backup for that, only one for the tendon.

Marina_5_16_2019026.jpg

Boom Clap Rope

When was the last time you checked your boom clap rope?

Marina_5_16_2019030.jpg

Down-haul Rope.

When was the last time you checked your down-haul rope? How old is it?

Marina_5_16_2019031.jpg

Out-haul Rope.

When was the last time you checked your out-haul rope? How old is it?

Marina_5_16_2019028.jpg

Harness Line Rope and Webbing.

When was the last time you checked your harness line webbing?

Marina_5_16_2019027.jpg

Board Vent Plug Screw Rubber O-Ring

When was the last time you checked the rubber o-ring on your vent screw? That has to be air tight.

Board_plug_screw_zoomed.jpg

Feel free to add to the check list.

Gear Safety Check "Let's Safen up!" 4 years 11 months ago #2

I often check my tendon... especially on a big day. Sometimes they tear at the bolts, and the easiest way to check this is to attach your uni with a connected mast extension to your board. you are then able to bend the uni and look up into the tendon caps to see if there's a tear forming near the bolts. I also use dyneema rope for everything; it's long wearing and resists abrasion well.

Gear Safety Check "Let's Safen up!" 4 years 11 months ago #3

this board was recovered floating down the bay on a big 3.7 day

36649007_477169159397405_3286401729565818880_n.jpg

Gear Safety Check "Let's Safen up!" 4 years 11 months ago #4

Carbon Extension Collar Pin Holes.

I only use my carbon extension for 6.9 sail. I use aluminum for 5.8 and down. So it just sits at the same setting all the time. And with most collar systems you can't see what's happening where the pin meets the hole when the collar is locked down.

extension_pin004.jpg

When was the last time you checked your carbon extension collar pin holes? Any signs of splitting cracking?

extension_pin002.jpg

For extra safety I swapped out the steel pin and collar for Chinook's nylon 4 tab collar.

extension_pin005.jpg

Carbon has strength over distance but to doesn't point load very well. With the new collar it's nylon on carbon, not steel, and the load is distributed over 4 points of contact, not 2. All four tabs would have to fail. I've been using it for several seasons now and so far so good. Tabs look great.

extension_pin006.jpg

I also recommend not using the top setting on an extension. It's hard on the extension and the mast. Go to the next bigger extension.

extension_pin007.jpg
Time to create page: 0.291 seconds