Saturday, May 18, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Punta San Carlos

Punta San Carlos 4 years 7 months ago #1

Did a quick trip to PSC the last weekend of September. I have a buddy in LA who stashes a gear trailer and travel trailer at Fish Camp, so all he has to do is drive his truck in with some food and tow the trailers to The Point. Really cool setup. I flew down with a friend who has his own plane! He stayed at Solosports, but I stayed with my friends on the Point (downwind of Solosports ~0.4miles).

Arrived by noon on Friday and was on the water by 3pm on 4.6/89 (S2 Catalyst 3-batten, Fanatic Grip). Waves were head to logo high, and the wind was not quite enough to plane consistently. Did a fair amount of slogging but was able to get around fine and pick off waves. First time riding this board, and my setup was not dialed, and it wore me out. Also, adding a bit more downhaul to the sail helped the sail release in the top turns and made riding less physical.

Saturday was a lighter wind day. I took out my buddy's rig: Fanatic Grip 99 & S2 Dragon 5.2. Pretty much all slog and ride, but it was fantastic. Wind was 10-15mph, and the wave faces were super clean. Not many from Solosports came down to sail The Point and beyond... it's a long way back to camp for those guys, so it was pretty much endless waves for me and the other one or two sailors who might be out at the same time. I've never actually ridden proper waves with such a big wave board before, and I was blown away. Having that extra ten liters at ~190lbs really made it easy to slog around without expending any energy. I must have sailed for 3+ hours like this, just having the best time of my life. A+ session!

Sunday was windier. Again 4.6/89... probably could have used 4.2/82 but coming back in to change gear is not a trivial matter at PSC, especially on years like this when there is zero sand on the beach. Good waves again, but smaller overall than the first two days. First two days waves were consistently overhead with lots of logo high stuff. Sunday was more shoulder to head high with very few bigger waves in the logo high range.

If anybody here has questions on this place, I would be happy to answer them. It's a really special place!

69987744_464183450975375_8775272316118446259_n.jpg

71852563_141672093762715_8959593584897794623_n.jpg

IMG_6212.png

IMG_6179.jpg

IMG_6177.jpg

Punta San Carlos 4 years 7 months ago #2

Oh man, your beats are so correct. Awesome! Wendell G.

Punta San Carlos 4 years 7 months ago #3

Looks awesome, Kevin. You guys had that spot all to yourselves. :woohoo: I've been following Baja since West Coast Boardsailor magazine. It was non-glossy - newsprint. They always had the cool shot of the lone camper with a peeling wave in the background and the article that I had to read by flashlight while camped at Clinton Lake as the wind buffeted the tent.

Punta San Carlos 4 years 7 months ago #4

Reid, have you made trip to Baja? Nowadays, there aren't many drive in campers at PSC. With the proliferation of swell and wind forecasting, people are making more surgical strikes or they're just flying in with Solosports. There were probably 20 people staying at Solosports, but only two or three other people who drove in on their own. Most of the Solosports guests clear out of the Point and Chili Bowl waves pretty early in the day as it's a longish upwind grind back to camp.

Hoping to get to La Ventana this winter, too.

my friend Ronn and his tent from our October 2017 trip
pscwindytentronn.jpg

Punta San Carlos 4 years 6 months ago #5

Kevin, the farthest I've made it south and west for windsurfing, aside from Maui, is Cabrillo Beach. :lol: Windsurfed there a long time ago. I have in relatives in Southern California and in the Bay area too. Great pics, looks awesome. Like it never changed - still remote.

Punta San Carlos 4 years 6 months ago #6

how often do you get out to the west coast? i grew up a few miles from Cabrillo Beach, and my family still lives in the area, so I'm down there all the time. Good crew down there, and I'm sure the locals could scrounge up some gear for you to use. Same up here.

did a quick trip down to the central coast to Arroyo Laguna (San Simeon). Got some wind and small waves. It's pretty much midway between LA and the Bay Area, so i met some buddies from SoCal there for some windsurfing and camping.

72470274_139704190707904_1978008873425755561_n.jpg

73420569_399691177624498_1826950762044006801_n.jpg
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds