Saturday, May 18, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Lac du Salagou (France)

Lac du Salagou (France) 4 years 11 months ago #1

• Sylvain
  • Storm Force
After strike 1 a couple weeks ago at clinton lake (when I arrived the wind died), now is strike 2
This time way too much wind for me to be comfortable
But it is where I windsurfed the most, and it’s a beautiful lake. So even though I’m mad, I wanted to share

Greg, do you know this lake? It’s north of Beziers

342EB8DB-7DB5-4E09-BFC3-763DC2FC73EC_fix.jpg

Lac du Salagou (France) 4 years 11 months ago #2

Wow, hey it's rippin'. :woohoo: Get out there!

You're gonna need some rigging music to blast from the car...

Lac du Salagou (France) 4 years 11 months ago #3

• Sylvain
  • Storm Force
The unexplainable keeps on happening.
After strike 1 (Clinton lake a couple weeks ago) when the wind dropped as soon as I arrived, strike 2 (a week ago when it was so windy I was strongly “advised” not to go), we are on strike 3 (salagou today). Today was the opposite of strike 1. In spite of a nice 15 to 20 knots, I arrived and it was more like a struggling 10 knots. By the end of my renting time, I had to paddle my way back to the shore. There was literally nothing left. I was a bit frustrated, but on my 20 minutes drive back home, the wind picked back up. Now the wind rotated 180 degrees and seem to be in a 20 knots to 30 knots.
Someone, please someone; tell me
1- I’m not cursed by the god of wind
2- I should not change my hobby from windsurfing to crosswords or scrabble
3- the fourth time is the charm

#feelingdiscouraged

Lac du Salagou (France) 4 years 11 months ago #4

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
I feel you Sylvain! Unfortunately the less you sail the higher the percentage of such mishaps. It’s a fact I noticed myself and it may really have something to do with wind gods or wind fortune. The only way to break the cursed cycle is to increase your sessions, which could be next to impossible when trying to balance family, job and hobby.
#don’tdespair

Lac du Salagou (France) 4 years 11 months ago #5

Sylvain wrote:
Greg, do you know this lake? It’s north of Beziers

Salut Sylvain!

Sorry for the late response... been busy at home and work.
No, I've never been but it looks fantastic. This reminds me of the Lac de Sainte Croix at the border between the Var and the Aples de Haute Provence. Same type of Mediterranean landscape. I used to windsurf there in the 80's there with my brother. Fun times with big long boards and sails that had as much shape as grocery bags.

Looks like you were out of luck on the wind side. I feel your pain! Did you pray the wind gods before going?

Lac du Salagou (France) 4 years 11 months ago #6

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
Looks like an awesome place. What is the water temp there?

Lac du Salagou (France) 4 years 11 months ago #7

• Sylvain
  • Storm Force
Greg, I think my problem is that I lacked moral support. On day 1 it gusted at 40 knots. I think I could have gone with a 4.0 but I chickened out.
Lac du Salagou is about 40 minutes NW of Montpellier or about 1 hr straight North of where Defi Wind is. So the dominant wind is the Tramontane. It’s really beautiful but it’s gusty and the ground is full of very sharp rocks. I hate wearing booties so I always come back with tortured looking feet

C8ECC453-3858-42F3-80FE-2EB102F1D8B0.jpeg

Chris.... it’s not as nice as Clinton Lake. I was there end of May, early April, and a thin wetsuit was well appreciated. Maybe it was about 68 to 70 deg F
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds