Wednesday, May 08, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Bonaire’s recently opened Dunkerbeck Pro Center

Bonaire’s recently opened Dunkerbeck Pro Center 6 years 1 month ago #1

Where to beat the Illinois/Wisconsin weather during Spring Break? Bonaire! Just came back from a week there with 15 to 20 knots, 84 degree air and water and Rum Punch Everyday. That's what the doctor ordered!

I rented equipment from the newly opened Dunkerbeck Pro Center that is part of the Sorobon Beach Resort next to the well-known JibeCity and Windsurf Place. Couldn't be happier with the Dunkerbeck Pro Center:
- All new top of the line 2018 Starboard and Goya kits.
- Super-friendly, very competent and accommodating staff. Talented instructor managed to put my reluctant 10 y-o son on a board and had him sailing with a smile in less than 2 sessions!

I haven't tried JibeCity but I liked the Dunkerbeck Pro Center a lot more than The Windsurf Place - more friendly, better customer service and newer more upscale equipment.

At Dunkerbeck Pro Center I sailed:
Goya Bolt 115 and 125 (freerace), Goya Proton 115 and 135 (slalom/race), SB Futura 117 (or 127?…), and the Goya Volar 125 (freeride). I sailed with the Goya Mark 7.2 and 6.6 almost exclusively (they had not received a collection of new Simmer sails yet) and used the boss’ personal 7.2 NeilPryde Hellcat here and there for a change. They have new SB Carve IQ (replaces the older AtomIQ) and SB Isonic that I didn't try. They also have freestyle equipment. Goya boards were clearly preferred by most customers when I was there.

I was particularly impressed with the 125l Goya Bolt: I never had a board that needed this little effort to get planning - incredible! Also very fast and somewhat forgiving for a freerace board - with maybe a slightly stiffer ride in the chop. The SB Futura is a bit smoother in the chop but has more rocker and demands more effort to take off. It didn't feel faster than the Bolt and the Futura demanded more input and foot control to keep it going at full tilt. My vote goes to the Bolt: more fun, less hassle for same or better performance!

In the larger slalom/race boards, I had a lot of fun with the Goya Proton 135l (84cm wide). Very-very fast and surprisingly easier and more comfortable to sail than I thought. Also very easy to jibe for a board that size. For some reason, the Proton 115l with a 7.2 felt like an untamed mustang! Maybe skill level too average or was the fin too small? I didn't check at the time, but I had a lot of spin-outs and gave up after an hour or so of that treatment!

Otherwise, the Volar is like my 2016 SB AtomIQ: a pair of comfortable sleepers! The 115l Bolt was also a lot of fun to sail but the 125l was again more impressive with early planning in 14-15 knots moving my 87kg with only a 7.2 sail. I don't know if I got a lot more efficient with my sailing but that was a big eye opening for me!

For the looks, the Goya Bolt with its bold graphics in black, white and silver is really stunning -more so than in pictures.

Finally, the Goya Mark freerace are very powerful and balanced no-cam freerace sails. I usually prefer 2-camber sails (like my trusted Ezzy Lion) but the Mark had a really nice initial draft and as soon as sheeted-in, the sail delivered rapid but smooth and constant power. The NP Hellcat felt a lot more direct and raw: still fun and for sure very fast as well.

A couple of advices:

HANDS: If you are like me, an average windsurfer, going to a tropical destination to sail 3 to 4 hours each days over 7 consecutive days in 84 degree salt water, you will be facing the painful effect resulting from the loss of callous hands during the winter months. My best advice to save hands from blisters is to sail for an hour or so and then stop, rinse in fresh water and let your hands dry completely (drink a rum punch if bored), then go back for an hour, and repeat. Resist the temptation to sail for 2-3 continuous hours the first few days, otherwise prepare bandaids, tape and sailing gloves. I learned by experience last year, trust me!

FEET: Sand from dead corals is very abrasive. You won't notice at first, but walking continuously in the stuff will wear off the skin of your feet after a couple of days, guaranty! So, my reco here is to walk with flip flops on the beach whenever possible to save your feet for barefoot sailing instead! Regardless, it is a good idea to bring with you a pair of summer booties along just in case: the sandy bottom of the lagoon is smooth for the most part but random small pieces of sharp dead coals can still be found and stepping on these will cut or puncture. Here again, I’ve learned it from past experience! For the most part, the lagoon is thigh to waist deep and walking the kit in and out of the shallows near the beach is almost certainty your feet will encounter something unpleasant at one point or another!

One more thought: How best to get there?
Using regular airlines, Bonaire is served a few times a week by Delta out of Atlanta, American out of Miami and United out of Newark and Houston. I tried Atlanta, Huston and Newark. Cost set aside, the option I preferred from the Midwest is with Delta via Atlanta.
- Miami can be done in one day on the way out but the return flight arrives late afternoon in Miami and might not offer a way out to a Midwestern city before the following day.
- Houston on the way out can be done in one day as well but the return flight is painfully early in the morning!
- Newark leaves around 8:30am on the way out and requires to lay overnight in a hotel near the airport if coming from Chicago let's say. That's also the longest route.
- Atlanta is about the same as the one through Newark on the way out (fly out the day before and one night stay in a hotel) but will get you in Bonaire early afternoon so you can squeeze an afternoon session the same day and the return flight leaves mid-afternoon so you can also squeeze-in a morning sailing session! Also Atlanta offers a huge choice of option to go anywhere in the Midwest from there with plenty of late flights so the return can be done the same day.

Happy sailing!

IMG_0689.png

IMG_0686.png

IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0684.png

IMG_0685.jpg

Bonaire’s recently opened Dunkerbeck Pro Center 6 years 1 month ago #2

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Awesome! Welcome back to the misery. I would advise against assuming the same kit will feel the same way here. I would suggest the “mantra “ of renting in Bonaire what works for Bonaire and sticking in Wisconsin to what works for Wisconsin /with Lake Michigan being the deciding factor/. IMO the most important characteristic in a good kit for our conditions and life style is RANGE-something I wouldn’t probably care about when on vacation at a paradise location.
PS: Did you get to sail the new Carve at all?

Bonaire’s recently opened Dunkerbeck Pro Center 6 years 1 month ago #3

Ady wrote:
PS: Did you get to sail the new Carve at all?

No, I didn't. I probably should have, it was just right-there! But there was so many new "toys" to try that the new Carve (ex-Atom) didn't feel exotic enough maybe? The new SB colorway though, is just strikingly beautiful! Also the Goya Bolt fitted like a glove and I guess I subconsciously didn't see the point of going back I guess...

And yes, Bonaire is unique and very different than our own Michigan shores: Flat-water (with small chop if any), saltwater (added buoyancy), constant trade winds, no wet-suit sailing! My experience is that a 110-115l board in Bonaire will behave like a 125l in Michigan. The loss of buoyancy makes a real difference I noticed. So for sure, for that and plenty of other reasons, what feels right some place might not in other.
But I prefer speed/race sailing rather than tricks or turns on a wave faces, can't help it! So that's why I was so excited about the Goya Bolt. I've been sailing my giant Fanatic Falcon Lightwind in gusty/choppy/swelly conditions in Sheb well above its intended use with quite a bit of fun, so maybe the Bolt isn't that of a stretch compared to my AtomIQ in such conditions... Who knows?! ;)

Bonaire’s recently opened Dunkerbeck Pro Center 6 years 1 month ago #4

Gregory,
The wife and I were there last year around the end of this month. We did Windsurf Place and I agree with your view/opinion of the place. We're thinking of returning and are trying to talk a 20 & 22 y-o into giving it a try. You gave Dunkerbeck a pretty good review re equipment and personnel, but how are they set up for shore time breaks between sessions? Windsurf Place has the big covered deck and a locker that we thought were pretty convenient for breaks. Can you describe the setting at Dbeck? Restaurant? Menu? Prices? We ate at Jibe City a couple of times and weren't disappointed, but also packed lunches the other days kept in the lockers at WP to eat on the deck out of the sun (and a quick nap!)
It looks like you got the premium package and from what I remember those prices look pretty good. Next time there I'd like to try a few different boards to see if I can feel a difference in them although I'm not all that experienced yet. Eventually I need to understand and feel what you guys are experiencing and talking about but that will come in time.
Your analysis of the footwear is spot on! I probably spent more time on the sand and in the water while sailing than you and have a comment for that. There are more sharp corals, stones or whatever you want to call them than you think. They are like shards of glass and "puncture" is to nice a term. So my opinion is if you're somewhat inexperienced and will be finding your way to the sand, wear something for your feet! The barefoot board feeling might be great, but just hit a few of those old busted up sea shells/coral and you'll be wishing you had something on your feet.
I also forgot to bring gloves. That's a must in my opinion.
Glad your son had a good time! I can only hope we can get the 20 & 22 y-o's to go and enjoy themselves.
Great place to go! Highly recommend it!

Bonaire’s recently opened Dunkerbeck Pro Center 6 years 1 month ago #5

Gary,
Dunkerbeck isn't renting equipment to people that are not staying at the Sorobon Beach Resort, at least for now. So if you want to rent from them, you'll have to stay there as well. Not cheap by any means and the bungalows are quite rustic for the price but the place is very friendly and you can't beat having your bed a few feet away from the beach! I love being able to go out windsurfing for a while, then stop, take a nap on the bungalow's hamac, go back on the water, stop for a drink and some food at the beach bar, lay down in the shadow of on one of the beach cabanas and so on! The good life!

So to answer your questions, the food at Sorobon is pretty good but pricey: seared tuna salad for $16 and a rum punch for $9. I say pricey compared to the restaurant on the beach at the Windsurf Place that is also quite nice but a lot cheaper. Overal, I didn't thought it was that expensive considering you are on a tiny island lost far away from everything...

The Dunkerbeck center is small and doesn't have the large covered deck that the Windsurf Place offers but again, if you stay there, the bar area is very nice and offers shade and plenty of space to relax and enjoy watching others sailing away on the turquoise water. The center has a few lockers about 18" square. Good to put your sun lotion, water, etc...

I didn't rent from JibeCity but it felt like a factory: Everyday they launch a bunch of people on the water. At times it felt like 5th avenue during rush hours, no kidding!
I think it all depends what you are looking for: at the Windsurf Place, I liked meeting and chatting with fellow windsurfers on the deck between sessions, but the staff wasn't particularly engaging. Jibe has good equipment and seemed to have a friendly community of passionate staff but with the volume of people going in and out, the place is bit like a subway platform.

At the Dunkerbeck, no one is rushing because there's not that many people windsurfing there anyway yet! So, the staff takes the time to chat with you about Windsurf or anything... pretty laid back, just the way it should!

If your 20 and 22 y-o want to give windsurfing a shot, I think they'll find very experienced instructors in all 3 places regardless. I like Basil the instructor at the D-beck center. He takes the teaching seriously but always keeping it fun and encouraging - at least that's what I saw with my son who really liked him. The price was also reasonable at $50 for an hour instruction plus 1 hour on your own, equipment included - all new stuff.
And yes, gloves or mittens and booties are recommended-especially if you learn how to jibe and spend time standing/walking in the lagoon.

Hope this helps and have fun out-there!.

Bonaire_deSwarte_03_March2018.jpg

Bonaire’s recently opened Dunkerbeck Pro Center 6 years 4 weeks ago #6

What a shame they're not renting equipment without staying there, but maybe they can be more attentive with quality service without having to deal with the daily masses that flock to the bay.
My wife and I also went with Delta and the Atlanta overnight stay. My sister went to Aruba and had a non-stop flight. I'll have to look into a direct flight from Chicago to Aruba and a hopper. If they have convenient daily hoppers without an overnight stay it might be worth it cost and time wise. We stayed at a 4 unit complex along the water next to town. I'll try to post trip pictures in the next few weeks or so. Very convenient 1 block walk to down town area to eat dinner after a long day on the water. I'd like to stay at Sorobon a few days for the experience and some good lessons, especially for the wife and kids if they go. It was really convenient being in town and it's always nice to be close to the shops for the wife. I think it was about a 15-20 minute drive to the bay. We rented a small pickup and picked up 2 of the kids (amazing Wind Surfers!) that worked at Windsurf Place along the way every day. We also enjoyed talking to other windsurfers on the big deck at Windsurf Place. Many seasoned veterans mostly from California, friendly sharing WS adventures and very supportive.
Thanks for the information!

Bonaire’s recently opened Dunkerbeck Pro Center 6 years 4 weeks ago #7

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
0981E332-7005-4128-8936-A85AA719C281.jpeg

I bet you’ve been watching this video before that ;)

Bonaire’s recently opened Dunkerbeck Pro Center 6 years 4 weeks ago #8

I'm impressed! How did you know?! :blush: I was watching the entire series recently... I like Colin's in particular! And yes, I was playing with the mast foot trim a bit and raised the boom a tad to see if I could get the board to fly over the chop. It was slightly less stable but the ride was smoother: The board was skimming rather than bouncing over the small chop which was amplified with the repeated wake of 40- 50 windsurfers criss-crossing back and forth over the entire area...
Anyhow, sailing between 7:30 and 9:30am before everyone was out, was just smooth-awesome! Maybe "boring" after a while but the feeling of gliding as fast as one can do without effort across the bay was just amazing! That is something we don't get too often here in the Midwest. I need to find a spot like Wellington Point near Brisbane, Australia: perfect offshore-like conditions, clean wind line and no risk of getting lost in the middle of the lake!

Bonaire’s recently opened Dunkerbeck Pro Center 6 years 3 weeks ago #9

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Glad you started messing with these things. I’ve been yapping about the benefits of raising the boom for years. Nothing improves early planing so much and so easy as this for example, to name just one benefit. For me it is a habit: boom up, mast foot back and less downhaul for lighter winds and the reverse for stronger winds.
You may consider upping your game with a vacation to Tenerife and booking some classes with the guys of TWS the next time !

Bonaire’s recently opened Dunkerbeck Pro Center 6 years 3 weeks ago #10

Gregory wrote:
I rented equipment from the newly opened Dunkerbeck Pro Center that is part of the Sorobon Beach Resort next to the well-known JibeCity and Windsurf Place. Couldn't be happier with the Dunkerbeck Pro Center:
- All new top of the line 2018 Starboard and Goya kits.
- Super-friendly, very competent and accommodating staff. Talented instructor managed to put my reluctant 10 y-o son on a board and had him sailing with a smile in less than 2 sessions!

At Dunkerbeck Pro Center I sailed:
Goya Bolt 115 and 125 (freerace), Goya Proton 115 and 135 (slalom/race), SB Futura 117 (or 127?…), and the Goya Volar 125 (freeride). I sailed with the Goya Mark 7.2 and 6.6 almost exclusively (they had not received a collection of new Simmer sails yet) and used the boss’ personal 7.2 NeilPryde Hellcat here and there for a change. They have new SB Carve IQ (replaces the older AtomIQ) and SB Isonic that I didn't try. They also have freestyle equipment. Goya boards were clearly preferred by most customers when I was there.

IMG_0688.jpg

Sounds awesome, Gregory! Pretty neat you get to try a bunch of different gear with the same nice conditions. We've got some Goya Sail fans here. I think if I was forced to use something other than Ezzy waves I'd be looking at the Goya wave sails. According to Stephan at Goya, "Ezzy mast is the closest to the Goya mast in bend." goyawindsurfing.com/question/are-neil-pryde-or-ezzy-masts-ok/ So in that "constant curve" camp too. Thanks for sharing. Do they have a website? Looking forward to your upcoming vid!

Bonaire’s recently opened Dunkerbeck Pro Center 6 years 3 weeks ago #11

Thanks Reid. Yes, I also love my Ezzy’s but the Goya’s are very nice as well. Compatible mast between both makes it easy to give it a try!
Here’s the Dunkerbeck website: dunkerbeckprocenter.com
Vid? Ha! Yes, I have a lot of raw footage from the trip but the task of going through it all looks daunting! ...maybe a short 2min at some point... ☺️
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds