Thursday, May 02, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

• Page:

TOPIC: Trip advice South Padre Island

Trip advice South Padre Island 1 year 4 months ago #1

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
I am going head to South Padre Island next Thursday, will be stopping in Houston on the way. I am looking for information on the Island, places to sail, eat, drink or whatever anyone wants to share from their experience, thanks in advance!

Trip advice South Padre Island 1 year 4 months ago #2

• Gerry
  • High Wind
I go to Corpus every year, but have never gone down to South Padre. Where will you be staying?

Trip advice South Padre Island 1 year 4 months ago #3

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
In my big red van, playing it by ear, I would be interested to know some about Corpus Christi as well. I am playing this by ear going where the wind is blowing. My job allows me to work remotely so I’m spending some time on the Texas Coast taking time to windsurf as needed. If it happens to be windy in Corpus Christi then I would definitely go there and sail for a bit and then head down to South Padre.

Trip advice South Padre Island 1 year 4 months ago #4

• Gerry
  • High Wind
As you may know already, the main spot in Corpus is Bird Island Basin, right by the Worldwinds windsurfing shop. It is inside the Padre Island National Seashore, so you will need a pass for that; but if you happen to have a national park annual pass it's accepted. There is a campground right there, but no electric or running water. Great spot for foiling as well, lots of wingers and wingfoilers but no kites allowed.

Trip advice South Padre Island 1 year 4 months ago #5

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
Thanks, I was not aware of this place, I will get a pass and I
will go there. I have a generator and toilet and all. Have you found any good places to eat worth mentioning?

Trip advice South Padre Island 1 year 4 months ago #6

Corpus and south padre are quite different. I used to go to both when I lived in Austin back in the mid-90s. Corpus has MANY places to sail. I completely disagree that the main place in Corpus is Bird Island. Bird Island is where all the out-of-towners go, because it's easy and flat......like COMPLETELY flat. Great for freestyle, learning to sail, learning to waterstart, jibe or other stuff. Sandy bottom and waist deep for miles, except for the ship channel, which is deep. It's NOT close to town or any services. You gotta drive like 30 min to get back to civilization. All locals go to Oleander, Ponesch, or north beach depending on the wind direction. These places are in the bay, which is more like the gorge when it gets going and much more fun than all the people mowing the lawn at bird island. I only like bird island for freestyle; it's good for that.
South padre is like bird island, and its 140 miles away from corpus....it's a looooong drive. Also, beware of driving on the beach! If you get stuck in the sand, it'll cost you $$$ to get pulled out.....and LOTS of people get stuck in the sand.

Trip advice South Padre Island 1 year 4 months ago #7

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
Thank you both for sharing, I will start at Corpus and go from there, you know I like high wind bump
and Jump sailing. I will also have my big red 135 slalom board and 6.9 sail so I can do either, I’m leaving my lawn mower in the garage though :lol:

Trip advice South Padre Island 1 year 4 months ago #8

• Gerry
  • High Wind
Yes - main place for out-of-towners, slalom guys, and lawn mowers looking to nail buttery planing jibes - and wingfoilers, based on what I saw there last spring!

For what its worth, I have experienced some pretty jarring chop at bird island basin - during the spring thermal season, I think it's fair to say there can be some bump and jump sailing (though not like the bay or ocean side) when it is blowing hard, especially farther out if it has a lot of south. When you are there any winds will be frontal driven, so depending on direction it could be pretty far from COMPLETELY flat, especially if its blowing NW and you venture from shore. But Eric may COMPLETELY disagree :) ;)

Here's more detailed info from Phil S:

windsurf.star-board.com/windsurf-blog/ph...indsurfing-in-texas/

Trip advice South Padre Island 1 year 4 months ago #9

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
I like that write up, thanks Gerry. Seems to be a lot of options. I’ll have to get a old school
Map and mark them all along with best wind direction.

Trip advice South Padre Island 1 year 3 months ago #10

If in Corpus make sure to check out Executive Surf Club. Great food and live music. Nearby Water Street Oyster Bar is also quite good along with the Texas surf museum. Regarding Bird Island, there isn't anything there but that's why I love it. You can be 30 minutes from civilization and feel like you're in another world. Plus the wind is crazy consistent. If you have a north front come through, make sure you hit it early as possible. By noon the wind is pretty much gone. Good luck!

Trip advice South Padre Island 1 year 3 months ago #11

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
Thanks Chris

Trip advice South Padre Island 1 year 3 months ago #12

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
Eric, this is Wednesday Forecast, I am at the Blue Dot, Oleander point at Cole park is about at the red dot I put on the map. Lot less wind on that side, probably just sail right here. Do the locals sail the outside?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds