Monday, May 13, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Ady’s Midwest speed challenge+Club 30 HoF

Ady’s Midwest speed challenge+Club 30 HoF 4 years 6 months ago #13

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Chris wrote:
So why Gopro over a GPS app? Seems the app is more accurately giving your speed. I’m using the GPS app regardless but just curious why it matters. I’m okay with only participating in the site top speed challenge.

Because! It’s the law :angry:
Looks nice, prevents Reid from using Dutch ladies as proxies, eliminates competition, it’s accurate enough . Also there’s no way I’m taking my phone in the water with me /I’m working with it/ and I certainly don’t need another gadget on top of the GoPro. This from top of my head but I’m sure I can come up with a bunch of other reasons later.

Ady’s Midwest speed challenge+Club 30 HoF 4 years 6 months ago #14

It's Ady's thread.
His contest.
His rules.

...but it's my Dutch ladies. B)

Ady’s Midwest speed challenge+Club 30 HoF 4 years 6 months ago #15

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Reid Fillman wrote:
...but it's my Dutch ladies. B)

Say “kaas” :lol:

Ady’s Midwest speed challenge+Club 30 HoF 4 years 6 months ago #16

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Another member of the Club 30-Reid! - 5.8 Ezzy Tiger wave, RRD 95 L FSW, MFC 27 cm freewave

Marina_10_12_2019_GoPro_00025.jpg

Ady’s Midwest speed challenge+Club 30 HoF 4 years 6 months ago #17

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
This is obviously a work in progress and because it hasn’t been done before I’m learning as I go. First Greg’s speed screenshot is disqualified as he claims that to be a glitch. I appreciate his honesty and learn a lesson not to jump and post pictures without their owners approval . Sorry Greg, my bad!
Second. Shall I limit this challenge to boards over 100 L only or not. I’m not sure, I need your input on that.

Ady’s Midwest speed challenge+Club 30 HoF 4 years 6 months ago #18

Why so many rules? I see no reason to be as inclusive as possible. Let people post their gps and run whatever they want. Why make trouble?

Ady’s Midwest speed challenge+Club 30 HoF 4 years 6 months ago #19

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
I’m more curious about the reason behind the rule regarding GoPro only, that is only related to Ady’s challenge which has already been met. For the site speed challenge Reid does not have that restriction. Nor the restriction of mid west only. As Bob proved wind and water is wind and water and there is no disadvantage sailing in the mid west. I think I’ll spend several hundred bucks on a GoPro which is proven not to be 100% accurate, a few grand on a speed board, and several hundred bucks on a race sail just so I can be competitive, NOT! I’m just going to try to break 40 on my gear, now thats a real challenge!

Ady’s Midwest speed challenge+Club 30 HoF 4 years 6 months ago #20

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Wendell G. wrote:
Why so many rules? I see no reason to be as inclusive as possible. Let people post their gps and run whatever they want. Why make trouble?

You are right, that’s one rule too many. Rules are productive only in moderation. This rule will create more issues in reality then it will solve. My reasoning was that I started first posting speeds and challenging myself after I got my GoPro to inject some excitement in my moderate winds blasting routine which can get old quickly without some kind of competition. Another question that bothered me is how different say a freerace kit to a freewave kit is and kind a didn’t make sense to me to put them against one another /but who am I to judge/. So I thought maybe I should start another competition for high wind boards. Then I finally realized that a speed competition is not a good fit for freewave kit and I would hate to retune my beloved Kode into a dull blasting board. Ok, Im thinking tricks and jumps competition would be a good fit, but how do you judge this stuff-its too subjective and I’m too old for anything above basic. And here comes the GoPro to help again /I don’t know yet/ -it has a G force measuring gauge besides speed and a G force competition could be a very fun free for all competition that fits perfectly trickster boards. I’m not sure how well the sticker looks and measures, I’ll check it tonight but it would be hilarious to see the G force spike in a high speed crash for example :lol:
So there you go-out of one bad idea another good one may spawn!

Ady’s Midwest speed challenge+Club 30 HoF 4 years 6 months ago #21

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Chris wrote:
I’m more curious about the reason behind the rule regarding GoPro only, that is only related to Ady’s challenge which has already been met. For the site speed challenge Reid does not have that restriction. Nor the restriction of mid west only. As Bob proved wind and water is wind and water and there is no disadvantage sailing in the mid west. I think I’ll spend several hundred bucks on a GoPro which is proven not to be 100% accurate, a few grand on a speed board, and several hundred bucks on a race sail just so I can be competitive, NOT! I’m just going to try to break 40 on my gear, now thats a real challenge!

Chris, please! You are starting to sound like a crybaby. Get over it!

Ady’s Midwest speed challenge+Club 30 HoF 4 years 6 months ago #22

• Bob M
  • Gale Force
As much as I love my GoPro, I’m starting to think the GPS speed can vary quite a bit depending on how it is mounted. For example if it’s mounted on the top of your mast and mast drops back quickly and then slingshots forward 12 inches or so the GPS speed could jump to a much faster speed than you’re really going. Just something to think about.

Ady’s Midwest speed challenge+Club 30 HoF 4 years 6 months ago #23

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Bob M wrote:
As much as I love my GoPro, I’m starting to think the GPS speed can vary quite a bit depending on how it is mounted. For example if it’s mounted on the top of your mast and mast drops back quickly and then slingshots forward 12 inches or so the GPS speed could jump to a much faster speed than you’re really going. Just something to think about.

As long as we have fun, I don’t care. If someone can climb on top of the mast while sailing and swing it to show 40 mph I’ll give them top honours and a case of La Fin . Nothing beats a good picture for me that also displays data. GoPro rules !

Ady’s Midwest speed challenge+Club 30 HoF 4 years 6 months ago #24

• Bob M
  • Gale Force
Ady wrote:
Bob M wrote:
As long as we have fun, I don’t care. If someone can climb on top of the mast while sailing and swing it to show 40 mph I’ll give them top honours and a case of La Fin . Nothing beats a good picture for me that also displays data. GoPro rules !

Sounds good to me!
Time to create page: 0.517 seconds