Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: GPS speed: GoPro Quik phone app vs GoPro Quik desk

GPS speed: GoPro Quik phone app vs GoPro Quik desk 2 years 3 weeks ago #1

Same GPS data from one camera - GoPro HERO6 Black. Comparing GoPro Quik phone app vs GoPro Quik desktop

GPS speed: GoPro Quik phone app vs GoPro Quik desk 2 years 3 weeks ago #2

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
To me there is no question the desktop is off. It spikes to 39 but we know that you didn't go 33 - 39 in a blink of the eye. My phone application has been tested against motorcycles and was found to be spot on so I know what I am posting is accurate. I would challenge others who use the gopro to post the video showing they reached the speed they say they did. It is easy to see from video if the speed was really reached. I had my doubts when someone previously posted 39 on a day at Clinton I know damn well that would have been impossible. I guess we have to trust that people will make the right judgement when reviewing their footage as you did. It's all in good fun so lets try to keep it real.

GPS speed: GoPro Quik phone app vs GoPro Quik desk 2 years 3 weeks ago #3

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
GX010660.jpg

GPTempDownload306.jpg

My speed readings are slow, both on my phone and on my desktop :blush: In my defense, I didn't try to be fast just to be on the board :lol:
Seriously though, I think the desktop readings are the accurate ones. Why not reaching 39 mph when the wind is gusting over 40 and you are pushing it hard. Reid you shouldn't have opened the Pandora box, nobody was objecting!

GPS speed: GoPro Quik phone app vs GoPro Quik desk 2 years 3 weeks ago #4

Ady wrote:
...I think the desktop readings are the accurate ones. Why not reaching 39 mph...

happy-sad.gif

GPS speed: GoPro Quik phone app vs GoPro Quik desk 2 years 3 weeks ago #5

Try comparing mast placed camera versus helmet camera and analyze using the desktop app in choppy high wind conditions. Any difference would be attributable to the fluctuation created by mast flex and movement. Although the phone app clearly averages the data over a period of time, the outliers in the desk app may not be false readings if they go away when camera is in more stable location. Mast movement could be fore or aft swivel from the base supplemented by or subtracted by mast flex. Sorry, I do statistics for a living.

GPS speed: GoPro Quik phone app vs GoPro Quik desk 2 years 3 weeks ago #6

The desktop does the same thing when the camera is mounted on your head. The GoPro GPS is 18hz. The desktop over calculates acceleration of every little wiggle and jostle. Also Quik tries to calculate speed in 3D. Think bounding over chop.

The GoPro Quik phone app looks like it has an algorithm looking at the data of a whole second. And gives a pretty solid number IMO. (35. something mph)

The desktop did touch 36 mph 4 times in the run. Would that show up as a MAX on a GPS watch. Don't know.
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds