Saturday, May 04, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Windsurfing Southern Illinois

Windsurfing Southern Illinois 3 years 8 months ago #1

Headed down in mid october tp camp and windsurf.
I have windsurfed at Little grassy lake off of sam point.
Can anyone give me the scoop on best places to luanch in crab orchard wildlife refuge?
Thanks in advance.
Bob

Windsurfing Southern Illinois 3 years 8 months ago #2

Hi Bob,

I live in Carbondale. I moved here about 10 years ago and followed some threads from the old SIU sailing group and club. I brought my windsurfing equipment here when I moved but never made it out. You might want to follow this old thread on sailing at Crab Orchard. The office for day permits is on Rt. 148 which is a little ways off from the boat launch where I think a lot of surfers start from. My old board aged badly in my garage when I moved and I've been on the look out for a new board so I can pick it up again. (I seem to miss the good used gear for sale in Chicago) I'd still be ready to go but need a board.

windsurfillinois.com/index.php/forum/win.../691-carbondale-area

We get some good hot wind in late summer and fall on Crab Orchard and I'm always kicking myself for not getting on the water. I think it would be really cool to get a group out to surf. It's a large enough lake that there could be enough folks to band together.

Thanks for starting a thread!
Best,
Mark Pease

Windsurfing Southern Illinois 3 years 8 months ago #3

My wife's relatives are from Carbondale/Murphysboro. Would enjoy sailing this lake in the future. Post up if you go and let us know the specifics on the launch sites.

Windsurfing Southern Illinois 3 years 7 months ago #4

Here are some old low resolution videos of Crab Orchard and Rend Lake

Here are the rest of the old videos.
www.youtube.com/user/windsurfsiu/videos

Windsurfing Southern Illinois 3 years 7 months ago #5

Thanks For sharing the videos!
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds