Thursday, May 02, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Tutorial: What is wrong with my jibes

Tutorial: What is wrong with my jibes 5 years 6 months ago #13

• Sylvain
  • Storm Force
I tried also looking into the turn

6.png

7.png

8.png

Tutorial: What is wrong with my jibes 5 years 6 months ago #14

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
:lol: Right, points for trying to both of us, but we have to relax and do the right thing at some point. We know what to do, Reid’s pictures display it as good as it gets, we just have to find the courage and do it. You can see my main mistake in most of my strong winds jibing pictures-the front arm pulling. It’s less severe then your mistake and lets me finish at least the less powered jibes successfully, but still it’s a shame with my sails that depower so easy, just pushing forward with my front arm and they go flat-like pushing a lever. Instead I freak out by the look of the fast approaching lines of swell and chop that I have to fly over , my brain stops functioning and I just squeeze the boom like a mad man, knuckles white, eyes about to pop out of the sockets , sail wide open and board bucking around like a wild bronco. The game is over in a flash and I go down to meet the fishes.
Have faith my friend, we’ll get there eventually!

Tutorial: What is wrong with my jibes 5 years 6 months ago #15

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Sylvain wrote:
I tried also looking into the turn]
Mmm, looking much better here! Bravo! You didn’t have a chance that day though, your kit was just too big for the conditions.

Tutorial: What is wrong with my jibes 5 years 6 months ago #16

Try this if you want be planing out of your jibes:
1. You need speed. Bear away (you will gain speed and go through significant portion of the turn before you even start carving)
2. Go wide. It gives you more time to do all the carve jibe steps.
3. Don't stay stationary. As soon as you sheet in, guide the rig to the other rail with straight mast arm. (Hands wide apart for leverage)
4. Look out from the turn.
5. Try holding the rig clew first for a little bit before you flip the sail. (You can always eliminate this step once you get better)
6. Slide the mast hand close to the mast before you flip the sail (It makes the flip easier)

Also, go for a duck jibe. It has been the first planing jibe for many people.

Tutorial: What is wrong with my jibes 5 years 6 months ago #17

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
32CA0F3E-08B5-4004-96BD-D0AFB6FA05AF.jpeg

574E1527-7E4A-4664-A5D7-244003D10A65.png

I believe I figured out what’s going on here. I think my “bite the boom “ jibing style is a result of perpetually underpowered sailing. By leaning forward heavily over the boom I create tons of mfp, pushing the board nose down while keeping the sail up and open and preventing a loss of power due to oversheeting . It works really well in moderate winds and flat water, conditions encountered a lot on lakes like Wolf, with almost guaranteed planing out of the jibe. Unfortunately it becomes counterproductive in steep chop and strong wind. The low nose in this situations plows head on through the walls , the hits creating massive surges of power in the sail while my forward leaning stance is easy to be tripped over in a catapult style of fall. The right approach in strong wind and chop would be what Reid brilliantly performs in his picture-his body in a more over the tail position with straight arms giving him plenty of room to manoeuvre, leverage to sheet in or lay down and keeping him in a best balance possible for the incoming chop hits.
Peter Hart has released several articles through the years about being stuck in the root and the need to take a different approach for jibing in different conditions. It’s time for me to heed those tips and stop doing things on auto pilot. Ugh, I thought I’m all done with the jibes and moved on to other challenges, turns out I’ve been wrong and have to go back to elementary-in strong winds at least.

Tutorial: What is wrong with my jibes 5 years 6 months ago #18

Ady wrote:
I believe I figured out what’s going on here. I think my “bite the boom “ jibing style is a result of perpetually underpowered sailing.

Here's a shot of you going into a 360. You've got your sail nicely over-sheeted and leaning over and forward. Front arm is straight like it should be. Rail is hooked in and engaged. If you flipped the sail right here you would have a nice strap to strap jibe or a step jibe. "Dive" into your jibes like a falcon as you're doing here in your 360s, but instead flip the sail when you hit the "vacuum" and go out on a broad reach.

F13_5_1_2018042.jpg

Here's a shot of you going into a duck-jibe. Same thing(as I said above). You've got all the nice technique for an over-sheeted lay-down style going into a regular strap to strap jibe or step jibe.

F13_5_1_2018012.jpg

Tutorial: What is wrong with my jibes 5 years 6 months ago #19

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
I’ve done some strap to strap jibes, but very few successful, so I generally avoid them. I’ll start to go for them from now on, they are perfect for strong winds.

Tutorial: What is wrong with my jibes 5 years 6 months ago #20

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
A9F84584-E5AA-4443-B13F-91C54D8EF888.jpeg

Reid, is this how you depower the rig? Body forward, rig back? Your back foot is very forward, on purpose or it just happened so? Trying to analyse what’s happening here.

Tutorial: What is wrong with my jibes 5 years 6 months ago #21

Ady wrote:
Your back foot is very forward, on purpose or it just happened so? Trying to analyse what’s happening here.

I usually have my heel on the back pad. If it's more up front than that I've made a judgement about the lack of solidness of the wind I see on the water ahead of me. It can be streaky in the boat ramp cove. A lot of variation also in 4.2 wind.

Ady wrote:
Reid, is this how you depower the rig? Body forward, rig back? Trying to analyse what’s happening here.

I just moved my foot out of the back strap and placed it. I think I'm countering streakiness - a gust or a lull with the 4.2 sail. You want to depower the sail by bearing away with speed and progressively over sheeting and progressively rolling the sail over as you feel the wind "come off" and you hit the "vacuum". Front arm gets straighter and straighter. The bottom of the sail almost touching the top of my foot in that photo sequence.

14 photos in that sequence: windsurfillinois.com/index.php/photos/63...mid=194&photoid=4701

TheRoad_10_20_2018vlcsnap-00062.jpg

Tutorial: What is wrong with my jibes 5 years 5 months ago #22

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force

I’ve found the perfect video instruction! By no other but Peter Hart of course. Clearly shown what happens if you can’t control the rig in overpowered conditions and the solutions at hand. Either by opening it and going for strap to strap /like Reid suggests/ , or by over-sheeting as you bear away and lay it down /like Reid in his photo sequence/.

Tutorial: What is wrong with my jibes 5 years 5 months ago #23

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force

Another good video on the topic. What caught my attention here is the instructor/Andy Chambers/ is placing his back foot on the rail BEFORE hooking out. I haven’t done that and I’m not sure if it’s useful, but worth a try. Compare the over-sheeting in this powered jibe to the open rig all around in the moderately powered jibe in the next video /it’s quite powered actually but you get the point/:

Tutorial: What is wrong with my jibes 5 years 3 months ago #24

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds