Thursday, May 02, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Tutorial: What is wrong with my jibes

Tutorial: What is wrong with my jibes 5 years 1 month ago #25

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force

Tutorial: What is wrong with my jibes 5 years 3 weeks ago #26

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
An easy one and perfectly executed by the women’s slalom world champion:
www.facebook.com/159452045352/posts/10156865196730353?sfns=mo
In my last session I had the funny conditions where I could jibe underpowered on one tack and overpowered on the other. It made me realize how important is to have a very, very, low stance for stability and very, very, wide arm spread for sheathing in on the powered side, while the same things on the underpowered side were counterproductive.

Tutorial: What is wrong with my jibes 4 years 9 months ago #27

• Sylvain
  • Storm Force

It’s better
I see that I lose lots of speed
Also, stepping forward after I switch side is something I have not done well
I see progress, albeit slow progress

Tutorial: What is wrong with my jibes 4 years 8 months ago #28

Sylvain,
Love your jibe attempts video. Clear progress. I subscribed to your channel. And it looks like the whole family had some fun during your summer vacation in France. Nice vid.
I often found that I get lousy results with my jibes if I’m lazy or tired towards the end of a session - i’m a bit too stiff, on the defensive, no flex joints, and slow or not fluid with the successive steps - in particular if I delay too much the feet switch. I get better results when fully committed and a bit more aggressive and forward on my stance. Like Ady mentioned, when the back hand isn’t far back enough on the boom, the sail control is adversity affected and the chance to come out dry isn’t a sure thing!

Tutorial: What is wrong with my jibes 4 years 8 months ago #29

"I see that I lose lots of speed"

You're spinning out when you initiate the jibe, in the first couple especially. Much better in the last couple. If you push too hard laterally on the fin with your back foot, it'll spin out and kill your speed, along with failing to carve. To prevent this, you need to rock the board onto the leeward rail in one smooth motion. When you pull your foot out of the back strap and step on the board (what you think of as "initiating the jibe") it should not stomp on the deck or feel like you're catching your balance.
Jibing is the first free-style trick anyone ever learns, and as all free-stylers know: board speed is critical. If you can maintain board speed, everything is easier. Key to that is correct pressure on the fin and rolling the board from rail to rail with your knees.

Tutorial: What is wrong with my jibes 4 years 6 months ago #30

• Sylvain
  • Storm Force
Thanks for all the advices guys
Still not there with the jibes
I could say, as an excuse, that this year, I only had 5 good sessions on the water
Here is a video of the latest attempt on Oct 21 2019

Here is my analysis
Successes:
- good initiation of the jibe
- speed maintained good enough
- good carving, good aggressivity
- sheet in the sail pretty good
- back end positioned far back on the boom

Failures (from the least important to the most important):
- knees could be bent a bit more
- head is not turned in the direction of the turn
- at the end of the jibe, forehand is not close enough to the mast
- what the heck is my front foot doing in its strap far after I try to flip the sail

Tutorial: What is wrong with my jibes 4 years 6 months ago #31

Jibing is the first freestyle trick that most people learn...but they don't realize it's a freestyle trick. Learning to do a correct planning jibe is MUCH MUCH more difficult than learning to forward.
From your clip:
0 -11 sec mark: Perfect! Don't change a thing! Seriously, that's exactly how you set up a good planning jibe.
12 sec mark: here, you can clearly see how failing to release your back hand has allowed the sail to pull you over and off balance. At this point, you need to let go, allow the sail to rotate, without backing off the carve. Wyatt Miller will tell you, "Don't let the sail just rotate naturally: grab the mast below the boom with your (former) back hand and rip it across the wind and MAKE it rotate to the new side." This is how I do it, I really try and rip that sail across as fast as possible. I use skinny masts, so they're really easy to grab, and 95% of the time I grab the mast. Common mistake: when you concentrate your attention on the sail flip, your feet stop carving the board, so it just goes downwind and kills your jibe.
Keep at it! You're 80% of the way there!

Tutorial: What is wrong with my jibes 4 years 6 months ago #32

Sylvain,

The rig that "stays behind" still happens to me here and there. I'll add my 2-cents too! Hopefully, keeping it consistent-enough to avoid confusing things more! :lol:

1. Release your back hand a tad sooner (Sailing clue first too long has for consequence to leave the mast behind you which makes it hard to reach for the boom and shifts the weight of the rig towards the back of the board)
  2. Almost at the same time (or very soon after), slide front hand closer to boom clip (a small thing but huge in consequence)
  3. Flick the sail with the front hand across and towards the inner side of the carve in a quick sideway pull of the rig so you don't to have to reach back for it (Basically avoid shifting body weight on back foot and keep sail flip time to a minimum)

The initial part of the turn looks awesome.

Tutorial: What is wrong with my jibes 4 years 6 months ago #33

I’ve been looking at a lot of videos and thinking about what I do, and wondering if the release of the back hand can help with the critical step of scooting the front hand towards the boom clip. If you shove the boom away from you with the back hand at the same time as you loosen your grip on the boom with the front, it will help move the front hand to the right place quickly. Then do step 3 as per Greg. From there you can either use the old back hand to grab the mast and further guide it to the right place or it can grab the other side of the boom. On many of the videos these guys seem to sail clew first a pretty long time, but still with great speed, and the sail flips very fast.

Tutorial: What is wrong with my jibes 4 years 6 months ago #34

anybody have a copy of Alan Cadiz's jibe instructional video? For me, it was incredibly helpful and really did a good job of breaking down the styles, steps, and mechanics of the jibe that no other video/instructor has. If someone does, have the VHS tape, I would be happy to digitize it for the group. I don't see it for sale anywhere on DVD or online streaming. Don't see it on eBay either.

Sylvain looks like he's doing a carve jibe/step jibe hybrid often trying to change feet and sail at the same time and not pulling the mast across the centerline on the rig flip.
-carve jibe: flip sail then change feet
-step jibe: change feet first then flip sail

One common mistake is to flip the sail along the axis of the mast. You actually want to flip the sail around the COE of the sail which is roughly where the harness lines are. Your mast tip should draw a circle when you flip the sail (especially on a step jibe or coming out of clew-first sailing)

The COE of the sail has to go to the inside of the turn on the initiation, and once you pass dead downwind, you want the COE to cross over to the outside of the turn. This can be done by pulling the mast across the centerline of the board, but it can also be done by flipping the sail early like in a carve jibe. For step jibes, which is how modern jibing is taught, you open up your sail and shoulders while your hips and feet keep rotating into the turn. Need to learn to decouple your upper body (sail) and lower body (board)

Jibing is incredibly hard to describe/coach over a forum, and there are tons of steps. I took some backymount footage of a jibe that shows how the mast and COE cross from inside to outside of the turn after passing dead downwind

Tutorial: What is wrong with my jibes 4 years 6 months ago #35

Kevin, these are really useful insights, that I have never heard before in years of reading and watching, yet they make perfect sense. If someone was spinning a sail in a vacuum, it wouldn’t spin around a vertical mast, but a tilted mast. The center of gravity of the rig would be directly over the base. When you see these guys do a no-hands sail flip its like spinning the sail in a vacuum. I’m thinking that its the center of gravity of the rig that needs to maintain downward pressure on the mast base, resulting in the mast shifting to the outside of the turn momentarily before it goes back as the sail flips along its center of gravity. If there is still a bit of centrifugal force at this point in the turn, center of gravity might still want to be slightly inside.
Great stuff!

Tutorial: What is wrong with my jibes 4 years 6 months ago #36

Not only a smooth AF jibe sequence, but also a kick-ass shove-it at the 4 second mark!
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds