Saturday, May 04, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: 2017 Starboard Kode 103

2017 Starboard Kode 103 4 years 4 months ago #1

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Look what arrived just in time for Christmas-more corn candy! I may even test it tomorrow. The question is how to set it up- 3 or 4 straps, 1 or 3 fins?

457E4912-7E86-4F98-BB56-86B46E10E1E6.jpeg

2017 Starboard Kode 103 4 years 4 months ago #2

Wow! Looks awesome.

cat_looks.gif

2017 Starboard Kode 103 4 years 4 months ago #3

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
The difference in width looks bigger then 3.5 cm.

2213B588-A0D8-41C4-9FAE-667FE0F06C92_fix.jpg

2017 Starboard Kode 103 4 years 4 months ago #4

2017 Starboard Kode Freewave specs (I fixed their typos)
kode_2017_specs.png

For comparison to Kode Freewave specs...

Your Starboard AtomIQ 110
Length : 235
Width: 74.5
Tail width: 47.8

For comparison to Kode Freewave specs...

My RRD FSW 108 (2012)
Width: 68
Tail width: 41

My RRD FSW 95 (2009)
Width: 60
Tail width: 37.5

2017 Starboard Kode 103 4 years 4 months ago #5

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Since we are getting into the details, we can’t skip the promo ;)

2017 Starboard Kode 103 4 years 4 months ago #6

Ady wrote:
The question is how to set it up- 3 or 4 straps, 1 or 3 fins?

I like your choice of 3 inward straps (as you show above). I would go single fin.

I have my straps all the way up front. And mast base all the way back. Well, as far back as a two bolt will allow.

2017 Starboard Kode 103 4 years 4 months ago #7

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
What is your reasoning for placing the straps all the way forward? I have mine in the middle positions on the 94. It feels right and it’s nicely centred over the pads. I placed them the same way on the 103. The recommended position for the mast foot is spot on for an all-round sailing as well. I just move it a bit back or forward for different conditions, but mostly back a cm or two, because all Starboards tend to be sticky low riders with shapes leaning towards the upper end it seems. Better, tighter turns and easier tacking also.

2017 Starboard Kode 103 4 years 4 months ago #8

Ady wrote:
What is your reasoning for placing the straps all the way forward?

I felt it gave me more low end and up wind ability (stay in the straps longer in lulls). My mast bases are at 132.5 cm (factory markings to the side of track) for both boards. That's as far back as the two bolt will allow. I like having the swing weight(straps & mast) to the center of the board.

Do they have mast numbers on the Kode? And if so, what is the triangle mast track indicator number?

2017 Starboard Kode 103 4 years 4 months ago #9

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Hm, interesting findings! Measured the distance between back of the board and the recommended mast foot position and this is what I found:
2012 Kode 86: 130 cm
2016 Kode 94: 127 cm
2017 Kode 103: 130 cm
2014 AtomIQ 110: 137 cm

The Atom was the biggest surprise-a whopping 137 cm !! Probably the major reason why it’s so sticky.
I bought the Kode 94 used from the Big Winds rental fleet and it from the darker area that their mast base left on the deck you can tell they had it a bit forward of center, maybe because of the only 127 cm to the back. That was good to know.

2017 Starboard Kode 103 4 years 4 months ago #10

some things to keep in mind

-different manufacturers put the mast tracks in different positions both by brand and by model and size. example for freestyle boards some years ago, RRD had their mast tracks several inches further forward than JP & Fanatic, so if you switched back and forth from say a Fanatic Skate to an RRD Twin Tip with both boards set mid track, your stance/sail geometry would be totally different. Also, depending on the brand, the mast track on a new school wave board is likely to be a little further back than on a freewave board or more traditional wave board. also, sometimes the brand puts the mast track in the wrong place. for example the 2012 Fanatic Skate 99 TE... I had to run the mast track all the way back to get the board trimmed correctly. For 2013, they kept the shape the same but moved the mast track back about 3 inches, so now I was running almost dead center. This was a really long way of saying, don't just stick the uni in the center and trust that it's perfect! Lots of personal preferences for mast track location and trim can vary with sail size, sail type, stance, etc...

-mast track adjustment range: the Chinook 2-bolt plate has a very wide bolt spacing that limits how much adjustment you can make. Streamlined makes a 2-bolt system with the screws much closer that gives you about 50% more adjustment range (although streamlined is harder to get in the USA these days). Duotone makes a single-bolt with detachable plate system that gives you the full adjustment range of your mast track. I've been using this for two years now, and really like it. My foil board has the uni slammed all the way to the back of the track, a position not possible with 2-bolt baseplates.

-mast track measurements marked on the board are to the end of the tail: i prefer to measure to the midpoint of the fin or so. For simplicity's sake, I measure to the power box screw hole. I do this because boards have big variance in fin position relative to the end of the tail. STBs the fins are quite close. 2007-2009 vintage Fanatic Freewaves had a lot of tail sticking out behind the fin. Modern wave boards have this distance shortened quite a bit over the last 5+ years. Another way to do this is to measure to the back strap (useful with some multi fin boards like quads where your back strap is standing directly over the two rear fins.). with power box boards, the rear strap usually screws in right near the leading edge of the fin.

-with many power box fin-equipped boards with inboard straps, I like to set the back strap all the way back, set my mast base relative to the back strap/fin hole, and then set the front straps to get my preferred stance. The fin is the one thing that doesn't move, so I basically set everything relative to that and make adjustments as needed. Some shapers and fin designers have suggested this method also.

-my STBs and Skates, just going by the factory numbers to the tail, I set in the 120-121cm range, although these boards don't have a ton of length behind the fin. also, I am admittedly a track back kind of guy and sail smaller sails with high and forward draft.

Hope I didn't bore you guys to death! YMMV!!
Time to create page: 0.273 seconds