Saturday, May 18, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Recommendation for a new sail

Recommendation for a new sail 5 years 5 months ago #1

• Sylvain
  • Storm Force
Thanks Ady for the other link and word of wisdom.
I am definitely not on a rush, just looking for a good opportunity from now until April
I also need a 5.7 ish m2 sail.
I think on bigwinds there is a used Goya banzai x 5.7 in A+ condition for 400 bucks.
Seems like a good deal (www.bigwinds.com/goya-17-banzai-x-5-7-used)

Recommendation for a new sail 5 years 5 months ago #2

• Sylvain
  • Storm Force
Seems to be a wave sail... does that matter a lot? Same here, I’d rather wait for a better match than just buy something half good for my need

Recommendation for a new sail 5 years 5 months ago #3

Mast compatibility is critical for sails. Google Unifiber masts to find a chart that shows similarity/disimilarity of different brands.

Recommendation for a new sail 5 years 5 months ago #4

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
The Banzai is probably a very good sail and 5.7 is a popular size. I never have tried one unfortunately.
I have a hard time recalling, did you have another Goya sail? The one you used at the Road launch?
I second David for mast compatibility! I’ve seen too many terribly rigged sails due to use of random ancient masts. A wrong mast can make your sailing very hard and uncomfortable. I’m a bit obsessed with sailing comfort and just slight discrepancies can drive me nuts. What masts do you have and could you remind me also what other sails you had / too lazy to look back in older posts/.
I also would urge you to think hard what kind of sailing you want to do-speed or manoeuvre!? Not long ago I wrongly assumed that above 20 mph and sails under 6.5 m everybody likes to ride manoeuvre kit that has “wave” somewhere in its name. Gregory deservedly proved me wrong though and I feel a bit guilty for influencing him into buying sails and a board he doesn’t like much. He discovered consequently that he likes speedy slalom type boards and powerful, super-stable cambered sails. On the other side I did exactly the opposite in my first windsurfing years and wasted a lot of money-my second bord was a slalom and my second sail was a cambered Ezzy Infinity and I kept buying the same stuff although I didn’t quite like it until I had enough and replaced everything with a significant loss.
So think about it, do some research and try to find an answer for yourself. Everyone has unique tastes and race and wave-a-like boards and sails are hugely different . I don’t want you to waste hard earned money on something you won’t like. It’s also true that with experience and age our likes and needs change quite a bit, but well thought out decisions can save us money and frustration in a short run.
In a perfect world we would travel to the popular sailing centers and rent different styles and brands of kits to find out exactly what suits us best, or we would have Mercedes Sprinter vans full with all the latest equipment. Unfortunately in my and apparently your situation our only choice is to trust our intuition and our peers and hope for the best.

Recommendation for a new sail 5 years 5 months ago #5

• Sylvain
  • Storm Force
Currently, I have a Goya guru 4.7 m2
A gaastra manic 5.3 m2
A gaastra hybrid 6.8 m2

So I am in desperate need of a 5.8 m2

As far as mast, i have a sdm for my 2 small sails and rom for the 6.8. I bought the 6.8 as a complete rig off isthmus website.
Everything else I bought from someone that used to windsurf on wild lake and moved to Florida (he is originally from Wales)

Recommendation for a new sail 5 years 5 months ago #6

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
And that would be my old friend Brian :)
You also need an 8.0 to take advantage of that big board in moderate winds, but that will involve a longer mast and maybe even a bigger boom if yours is not long enough. I wish I could help you, but I don’t know how. Gregory mentioned that he wants to sale his Revos 5.7 and 5.0 but he’s silent about it now, maybe not sure yet. I only have a 4.6 that I don’t need anymore.
As for the masts, I don’t won’t to confuse you any farther, then I already did. Let’s assume you are all set in that department.

Recommendation for a new sail 5 years 5 months ago #7

I created a separate topic with its related replies.

Recommendation for a new sail 5 years 5 months ago #8

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Just found something decent:
www.2-rad.com/gun-sails-groove-5-8-2010-a-condition/
Add to that the Hawk from the same store and you’ll get yourself a sail and a board for less then 500$
www.2-rad.com/fanatic-hawk-108-2008-b/

Recommendation for a new sail 5 years 5 months ago #9

Ady wrote:
Gregory mentioned that he wants to sale his Revos 5.7 and 5.0 ...

Yep! Still want to sell my 5.7 and 5.0 2016 Revo (Bought them in early 2017!). They both had little use and are in great condition. From memory, I probably sailed the 5.7 less than 15 times and the 5.0 less than 10 times since I got them. Very few creases to the sail cloth (I try to rig and de-rig with care!). One thing worth noticing on the 5.7 tho: The silk-screened "Revolution" logo at the bottom of the sail has partially flaked-off. Just a cosmetic issue. Besides that the sail is in top-notch condition.

Sylvain,
If you are interested, I can send you my contact info and we can chat. You can take one or both. I'd like to sell the 5.7 for $300 and the 5.0 for $330. (They retail new above $600 and I think I paid mine slightly below that). I'll take a few pictures today so you see what they look like. In case you wonder why I want to sell these 2 sails: I own Ezzys that have a deeper draft and a more locked-in feel and that's what I feel more comfortable sailing with. The Sailworks Revo are really great sails but they tend to be more maneuverable and de-power more easily than an Ezzy Zeta for example.)

Recommendation for a new sail 5 years 5 months ago #10

Greg from Sheb. wrote:
Yep! Still want to sell my 5.7 and 5.0 2016 Revo

Sylvain,
I posted pictures of the Sailworks Revo here:
www.windsurfillinois.com/index.php/forum...5-7-and-5-0-for-sale
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds