Sunday, May 05, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Looking for a 125L-ish board

Looking for a 125L-ish board 11 months 1 week ago #1

• George
  • Fresh Breeze
Hi all! First post on this board.
I am looking for a 125L-ish board, and my budget is up to $900 (for a newer, well taken-care of board).
I windsurf out of Northwestern's sailing center, so it has to be versatile enough to handle chop, hold a plane during lulls decently, and uphaul when needed. I'm a decent windsurfer but not great (i.e., I can sorta do a planning gybe, I can water-start most days, but I like to go fast).
Thanks, George

Looking for a 125L-ish board 11 months 1 week ago #2

Hi George,
Looks like no one is selling used 125-ish boards. However, if you are willing to put a b it more cash towards it, there are shops around the country that are doing interesting deals.

At Big Winds or North Beach Windsurfing, there's a Goya Volar Freeride 120l or 130l for $1,270. That's a great deal for a brand-new board. Their shipping fees are $99 if you can pick up the board at a freight facility near your local airport.
https://bigwinds.com/products/goya-volar-freeride-single-2022/
https://www.nbwindsurfing.com/shop/Windsurf/Windsurf-Boards/p/Goya-Volar-2023-x42492589.htm

If you want a faster board in the 120-130 range, you'll have to fork a bit more cash: Check out the Goya Volar Pro ($1,695) or the Goya Bolt Pro ($1755) in both stores; they are also on sale! Those are also great deals when you consider other brands selling similar boards for above $2,500!

One more great deal at North Beach Windsurfing is the Severne Fox V2 120l. This would be an investment that will likely last you a long time since this board is so versatile. Perfect for Midwest conditions (Choppy, gusty, etc.) but will take some getting used to (fairly narrow and more difficult to uphaul that the Goya's).
https://www.nbwindsurfing.com/shop/Windsurf/Windsurf-Boards/p/Severne-Fox-V2-x42549254.htm
Cheers!

Looking for a 125L-ish board 11 months 1 week ago #3

• George
  • Fresh Breeze
Thank you very much Greg! These do like great deals for a new board indeed. Do you think an intermediate windsurfer can take the advantage of the Goya Bolt or the Volar Pro, or is better off sticking to the Volar Freeride?

Looking for a 125L-ish board 11 months 6 days ago #4

Did Bob sell his Goya Bolt at the swap meet? It's a great looking board (125L/72cm) and I think he was asking $1,200 for it so not too far off from your price range.

windsurfillinois.com/index.php/forum/win...r-for-sale-mint#8591

Looking for a 125L-ish board 11 months 6 days ago #5

if you can ride hooked on harness lines and in the straps fully planing, then either of these boards will deliver plenty of speed (25-30mph, more if you use smaller carbon fin and performance freeride/freerace sails).
The Bolt can be a bit faster than the Volar Pro but it will be a bit more physical too.
The Volar Pro has a full range of footstraps positions that can be helpful especially if you are not use to ride on the outside footstrap position. The Bolt will be more difficult to get in the back footstrap if you are not yet fully confident with that. Regardless, none of these 2 boards will be boring if you like blasting back and forth.
They are both lighter but more fragile than the regular Volar and require more care. If you still launch or catapult once in a while, I recommend you use an Ion Mast Board Protector to save you board’s nose.

Can you waterstart easily? What is your weight? What size sail do you plan on using? This might be important to consider to pick the right board size.

Regardless, if you are a progressing windsurfer riding mainly between 13-20kn on Lake Michigan, I would suggest you buy a board with enough buoyancy to let you uphaul even in fairly choppy conditions.

If Bob still has or wants to sell his 125l Bolt, I would go for that! Otherwise, based on what you mentioned, the Volar Pro seems to be the best option for you

Looking for a 125L-ish board 11 months 6 days ago #6

• George
  • Fresh Breeze
Thank you for the replies!

Yes, Bob is still selling his board - we're just a bit away on price.

Greg, I can waterstart but I wouldn't say easily -- let's say I manage half of the time. I weigh 170 and I'm usually on a sail anywhere between 5-8 sq.m depending on the week. Would a 125l Volar/Bolt give me enough buoyancy? I feel quite comfortable getting into the straps even in the most outward position, albeit on 145-180L boards.

I do catapult every once in a while (or more than once). Went out last Wednesday for the first time this year and it was quite tough for me on a 7.5 on 16-20kn wind.

Looking for a 125L-ish board 11 months 6 days ago #7

Yes! A 120-130l is plenty of buoyancy for your weight. I'm 190lb and can uphaul a 115 liter/69cm wide board in choppy conditions.

If you plan on going out a few times a year as a summer activity but not fully committed to the sport yet, I suggest you get a used board like you are trying to find and see if this is for you. Probably more than in many other sports, the time you commit to this activity will define your progress rate. I've seen casual "progressing" sailors that are frustrated with their lack of progress while they go on the water windsurfing once in a while. So, without trying to discourage you to keep going for it, my advice would be for you to know what this activity represents for you and how much time you are willing to devote to it.

However, if you are hooked on this sport, and want to invest the necessary time and effort to keep progressing, then invest in the 120 Volar Pro or similar 120-125l freeride board. The standard Volar would also be fine if budget is a factor.

But again, I haven't seen you sailing so it is hard for me to say whether or not you'll be able to manage a 120l/72cm board. If you can't consistently waterstart in most conditions and consistently ride in harness+footstrap in full planing mode, then go for a 130l/77cm version. It will be easier to progress with (easier to uphaul, more stable and will get on a plan faster too!)

Looking for a 125L-ish board 11 months 6 days ago #8

• George
  • Fresh Breeze
Everything you said makes a lot of sense Greg! Thanks a lot!

My office is a 10' walk from Northwestern's sailing center, so I do try to get out there any weekday there's good wind during the summer. By the fall last year, I felt pretty comfortable gybing, waterstarting most of the time, and riding in the footstraps, but the first time out this year it felt tougher.

Looking for a 125L-ish board 11 months 11 hours ago #9

• George
  • Fresh Breeze
Ended up buying Bob's 125L Bolt! Thanks a lot Greg for the advice.

Looking for a 125L-ish board 10 months 4 weeks ago #10

George wrote:
Ended up buying Bob's 125L Bolt! Thanks a lot Greg for the advice.

Good for you! This board is awesome: Easy and fast!
Hope you'll like it as much as I have since 2018!
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds