Sunday, May 05, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Boom Slayer

Boom Slayer 2 years 6 months ago #1

Can I break 3 chinook booms in 18 months? ...Yes, I can!
I received a new 180-246cm Chinook Carbon boom a couple of weeks ago. Sailed it 2 times and the third time it completely disintegrated under the tension of my 8.5 Lion (well within this boom specs). This is the third Pro 1 Carbon boom that breaks in 18 months. The newer they are, the faster they break it seems!

I could hear the fibers snapping sharply repetitively while sailing yesterday on a nice NE. The carbon fiber snapping sound was a providential warning that made me zoom back to shore in a hurry. The boom failed as I was only 100 yards from shore. Lucky!

I know I sailed a bit over-rigged but still, those booms shouldn't be this weak. Despite the fact that Chinook was graceful and provided me with 2 new booms free of charge this year, I think I'm done slaying their booms for now. B) Time to switch brands.

3 years ago, I purchased a large 190-250 North/Duotone Platinum Boom to rig my 9.4. I was complaining about how slightly heavier it was compared to the chinook. I do not complain about this boom anymore. :lol:

GOPR0545.jpg

GOPR0546.jpg

Despite this failure, I had a good time and managed a fairly decent speed with my freeride 8.5 Lion.
GOPR0549.jpg

Boom Slayer 2 years 4 months ago #2

UPDATE: CHINOOK MADE A BOOM JUST FOR ME!

I talked to Chinook about the issue but didn't want to update on their answer until there was a final resolution one way or the other.
I have to say that Chinook provided customer service well beyond my wildest expectations: Without hesitation, they decided to send a new boom completely free of charge, but that's not all of it: They custom-made the boom just for me with an extra layer of carbon for extra strength. What company would ever do this for its random customer? This is pretty special and I cannot thank them enough for persisting in providing a resolution to the situation. Great people.

I might give this boom a go next week if the warm forecast still holds.

Now, I have a new reinforced boom and an identical spare repaired boom just in case! With 4 working booms in my quiver, I could literally rig 4 sails all at once! Ha!

Boom Slayer 2 years 2 months ago #3

that's awesome of them. Chinook is a great company.

we used to have to reinforce all the carbon booms for racing. extra layers of carbon around the front end tube extending maybe 6" onto the arms. People haven't had to do that for many years now, though.

Boom Slayer 2 years 2 months ago #4

Yeah, that's true: Very generous of them.
Good to know; I might reinforce as well eventually.

Boom Slayer 1 year 10 months ago #5

Bye-bye Chinook Carbon Booms. This time, they really didn't hold and are gone for good.
Trying the new TabouFifty 2 days ago. Hard stop on a clump of seaweed followed by a nice catapult. Result: A brand new boom in 4 pieces. 30 minutes later, same kit but with a similar boom I previously repaired, and again, same thing: Over the handlebars and no more boom. Sad but proud that at least my repair held up well, ha!
I could buy a board for the price of these 2 booms. :sick: Breaking booms at this rate, my bank account will thank me if I switch to aluminum.

IMG_3610copy.jpg

Boom Slayer 1 year 10 months ago #6

• KM
  • Storm Force
Yikes, what do you think the issue is? Seems like it's failing pretty much everywhere it's getting loaded against the tube or where it turns. Think the laminate schedule is just too little or it's some sort of build issue?

Boom Slayer 1 year 10 months ago #7

Funny: I really thought I had replied to your question. I guess not!

In about 18 months, I went through 3 brand new 180cm Chinook Pro1 carbon booms - one of them broke a second time after being repaired (repair held up the crash!). This cannot be a coincidence. The first Chinook Carbon boom I had back in 2016 lasted almost 4 seasons and survived through a large number of catapults back then. Then they changed the design and that's the one that didn't survive more than a handful of sessions each. I ride often well powered but I take care of my stuff; minimize UV exposure, no hard surface rigging, no dings, stored vertically hung on a hook at the boom clip...

I wouldn't recommend this boom to anyone being on the heavy side, still catapulting regularly, or sailing aggressively and powered.
Pics of last week's catapult and new boom exploding in 4 areas (boom clip, tail piece, and both sides near harness line). This time, Chinook won't offer me a replacement (I can understand that and wouldn't want a replacement anyway).

Initially, I thought it was a clump of seaweed while it was a dead fish that throw me over the handlebars
GH010802_Moment42.jpg

Hard stop and launched
GH010802_Moment6.jpg

Sail and I hit the water. Done! Notice that I DIDN'T land on the rig or the boom
GH010802_Moment8.jpg

Dead fish scuffed the white paint off the brand-new fin
GH010802_Moment10.jpg

Boom clip crack (Starboard), Mid-boom crack (Port)
GH010802_Moment122.jpg

Tail piece near outhaul (Starboard)
GH010802_Moment16.jpg

Tail piece at adjustment clip (Port)
GH010802_Moment18.jpg

Boom Slayer 1 year 10 months ago #8

• KM
  • Storm Force
Any thought's as to what you'll do with the bits? Maybe make a camera mount? Themed planter for the garden?

Really wonder what changed, I can tell you on the yachtie front the grades of carbon available seem to be quite unpredictable. Had a customer's radar mount get made out of ultra high modulus carbon for no good reason besides that's what was available in time.

Boom Slayer 1 year 9 months ago #9

KM wrote:
Any thought's as to what you'll do with the bits? Maybe make a camera mount? Themed planter for the garden?.

My wife already claimed the salvageable bits of her tomato plants!
Maybe set an online store to sell Chinook boom clips, collar sets, and outhaul blocks recovered from the destroyed booms!

Boom Slayer 1 year 9 months ago #10

• KM
  • Storm Force
I've thought about getting some mast bottoms and making a hammock out of them. Bought a wood frame one that's falling apart after a few months.

Boom Slayer 1 year 2 months ago #11

Had to make a short vid with that...
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds