Sunday, April 28, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Sheboygan Chronicles - 2019

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2019 5 years 1 month ago #1

The 2019 season wouldn’t be right if it didn’t start with a trip somewhere warm! So again, Bonaire was the destination of choice! I left the family at home (don’t ask me how much I had to give up for that to happen!) and went for a week with an improving windsurfer friend from Appleton, WI. He was there to successfully sail with feet in the straps and he did! Good for him!

We had a great time! 84-degree air and water and the wind never dipped below 17 knots. Most days it was 20 to 25 knots with a few “lulls” here and there! What else can you ask for? Waves for sure! Of course, no waves, just moderate chop and flatwater. It was busy but always manageable. Though, at peak hours (11am and 2pm), I counted more than 60-70 windsurfers on the water! To avoid slaloming between those learning on the lagoon, the best is to tack upwind and stay further away from the beach closer to the reef, or just sail before 10am, during lunch or after 4pm.

We rented from Dunkerbeck Pro Center and I sailed mainly slalom and freerace gear. Although, one morning it was blowing 25 knots and I took a Goya One 106L for a ride. That was fun but since I’m used to flatwater gear, in comparison, the One in thruster configuration expectedly felt slow and demanding more input to get going. After all, this made me think that my Starship isn’t a bad choice for something a bit “in-between” for the conditions at home.

I sailed the Goya Bolt 105, 115 and 125 liters depending on the conditions and availability. The 115 on saltwater behaves like my 125 on freshwater. I have to say that the 125 on saltwater is a bit dull compared to the 115 and 105. The 105 would definitely be one I would have if I was sailing on saltwater.

Goya Proton 106 Litter was fun as well, but I don’t think I was able to take it to its full potential. Maybe my average skill level and the “rental” fin have something to do with that…

On the propulsion, I stayed faithful to deeper draft sails with the Simmer 2XC (2 cam) sail in 6.5, 7.1 and 7.8 and the freerace Mark from Goya in 6.2, 6.6, 7.2. The Mark is very powerful and great to handle but for some reason this side by side comparison confirmed my preference for freerace cam sails – even in sizes as small as a 6.5.

Finally, I spent 2 hours taking a private foiling lesson on a Starboard Foil 147 and a Starboard GT Carbon Freeride I think. The experience was amazing. I spent a fair amount of time IN the water, but I cracked that nut in about 90 minutes. What I mean is that by that amount of time I understood how to pop the board on the foil and how to maintain things under control for flights about 200 to 300 yards long. It was really fun and a great experience. As expected, this demanded a totally different stance on the board and approach to the rig... I came to Bonaire this year with the primary goal to get a first try at this with a tutor that has mastered the art. I feel that this has given me a fair amount of confidence to keep perfecting on my own throughout this coming season.

On the sidenote: I managed to hurt myself everyday in one way or another – head and leg cuts, blisters on my left hand (I’m right-handed, and that side might be a bit more callous I guess) and came back with a cold! After 6 days of sailing, I was glad it came to an end! I beat my personal Max speed with 33.91 mph on a Goya Bolt 115L and a 2XC 7.1 and a grind-up rental fin. Going back and forth on your own has its charm but it doesn’t last. After some of that I was eager to measure up with whoever wanted to race a bit and found a bunch of “buddies” to do just that. That was a tone of fun. I sailed a total of 115 miles over 6 days and made sure a cool Pina Colada or Mojito was avail for some people-watching between sessions! Finally, I worked on improving my stance and somehow rediscovered that keeping a straight front leg was putting more mast-foot pressure and helped gaining more speed and control over the chop. Good to know!

A few pics. More here: www.windsurfillinois.com/index.php/photo...eg/album?albumid=210

Paradise!
SorobonBeachResort.jpg

Happy Hour Already?
ProtonHappyHour.jpg

Swoop that jibe!
Bolt105.jpg

Racing Ben, the Dunkerbeck Pro Center Manager. He is on a 107 Isonic and I'm on a 125 Bolt and I managed to keep up with him and even gain ground! Not bad for a tourist!
RacingBen.jpg

I fly!
Foiling1.jpg

Foiling2.jpg

My personal best (Since I started tracking my speed back in November)
33-91mph.jpg

6 days, 115 miles.
115miles.jpg

Last hour on the water: clearly that beat-up guy needs a vacation
Beatupface.jpg

This was day-2. That hurts the first day and then you just don't feel anything as the salts eats up the nerve ends! Ha!
IMG_4941.jpg

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2019 5 years 1 month ago #2

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Awesome experience and tough at the same time! With my unlimited ability to injure myself I doubt I’d last a week of constant riding. I’m glad you were able to try different equipment and confirm to yourself that you made the right choice for boards and sails. Hope to see you soon and hear more about this adventure! Great pictures!

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2019 5 years 1 month ago #3

Great report and pics, Greg! Congratulations on your top speed. Makes me want to get a gps.

Greg from Sheb. wrote:
...blisters on my left hand (I’m right-handed, and that side might be a bit more callous I guess) ...This was day-2. That hurts the first day and then you just don't feel anything as the salts eats up the nerve ends! Ha!

I think I see 3 different gloves being used in your pics.

ION Amara Gloves Full Finger - emerald/marine
Dakine Full Finger Sailing Gloves
(unknown) - black and white

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2019 5 years 1 month ago #4

Thanks you both for your comments.

Yes! I used 3 different sets of gloves in my quest to protect my hands! Obviously that wasn't entirely successful. But let me share a piece of advice anyway: Sounds like an evidence but it is hard to avoid the onset of tiny blisters from overheated and excessive friction on softened skin. Once it starts, salt water won't stop digging unless you stay out the water till it heals (which is not doable!). The "pros" at the beach renting equipment and sailing everyday still have blisters and opened wounds; I saw it! So, first that's not just a tourist thing and second, gloves are not really meant to avoid blisters but rather to protect them from direct contact and make sailing possible. Honestly, the only good remedy is to build callous hands before going windsurfing in warm tropical waters. So, go ahead and tackle the construction of the deck you've put off for so long and build yourself good "worker's" hands!

Gloves I tried:
  • First, a pair of Under Armor Football receiver gloves. Used them for a day and half. Great for the grip but they tend to loosen up too much and slide back and forth on my hands which increases friction on skin and provokes blisters.
  • Then I used a pair of Dakine Fullfinger. Great for the conditions. I buy them slightly undersized so they fit tight for the reason above.
  • Finally, I wanted to try something different and bought a pair of Ion at the Jibe City shop. Comfortable, holding tight on the hand and the most flexible of the 3 pair I used.

In terms of durability, I think the Dakine seems to hold the best: The fabric is a bit more thick and resilient but also a bit more stiff and can be felt a bit more under the fingers. The Ion might not last as long as the Dakine but they are the most comfortable and doesn't bunch up at all at the knuckle joints while griping on the boom. Ion's were my favorite for the conditions (warm ocean water, multiple consecutive sailing days, more than 2 to 3 hours /day on the water)

WindsurfingGloves.jpg

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2019 5 years 1 month ago #5

Cool!

I've been sailing with Cutter gloves for several seasons now. It was a game changer for me coming off the Dakine gloves. I'm able to sail for 6 hours in a day. No blisters and more importantly no forearm fatigue. And very durable. When I first got them I had to learn to have a light grip and not a death grip that was no longer needed.
cutters-rev-pro-solid-adult-football-receiver-gloves-10_2019-03-09.jpg

When it's cold I also love the UA ColdGear. Another game changer for me. Warm. Good down to 50 F air, 50 F water. Super grip with no forearm fatigue. Very durable.
gloves_cold_gear_front_2019-03-09.jpg
gloves_cold_gear_2019-03-09.jpg

I have the Under Armour ones you have, but haven't tried them yet.

You should drop your ION review in the "The right gloves for the job" thread.

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2019 5 years 1 month ago #6

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Greg, nobody is riding the reef , right? Too shallow I guess.

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2019 5 years 1 month ago #7

Reid: I'll have to try the cutters you are showing. I liked the grip on mine for sure but, no so much the flimsy light mesh fabric between palm and back grippy fabric.

Ady wrote:
Greg, nobody is riding the reef , right? Too shallow I guess.

Exactly: No one rides the reef. But some windsurfer and kites ride the pass. On big days you could surf breaking waves on the pass.

MapBonaireLacBay.jpg

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2019 5 years 1 month ago #8

Greg from Sheb. wrote:
Reid: I'll have to try the cutters you are showing. I liked the grip on mine for sure but, no so much the flimsy light mesh fabric between palm and back grippy fabric.

You might also try these(below). Cutter makes one with less mesh on the back of the hand and fingers. I use these in spring and fall warmer days. They do feel more solid. I use the mesh ones(previous post above) in the summer.

Cutters Rev Pro Solid (black) (less mesh sections)
cutter57_2019-03-10.jpg

They make them in white too. Cutters Rev Pro Solid (white) (less mesh sections)
oncza3jhh2j4mngmkekg.jpg

I think you're right about the more mesh the tighter the fit you need. Also a trade off between solid/durable and flexible.

Tip: Make sure you never get sunscreen inside the gloves. Wiping your hand on your suit of shirt is not good enough at the launch. Now I put my sunscreen on and wash my hands with a little bit of dish soap before I ever get in the car.

Greg from Sheb. wrote:
So, first that's not just a tourist thing and second, gloves are not really meant to avoid blisters but rather to protect them from direct contact and make sailing possible. Honestly, the only good remedy is to build callous hands before going windsurfing in warm tropical waters. So, go ahead and tackle the construction of the deck you've put off for so long and build yourself good "worker's" hands!

Working out with weights every other day in the winter will help. Pull-ups is one that will really toughen your hands.

kill_bill_kungfu.jpg

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2019 5 years 2 weeks ago #9

What going on in Wisconsin? I don’t know! I’ve been traveling almost non-stop for the last 3 weeks and spent the last few days in Milan, Italy for a trade show. But wait, Milan is 2 hours away from Lake Garda! :woohoo:
That’s where I am for the weekend but the weather and wind is uncertain. Maybe Sunday morning might work ok for a couple of hours. If not, maybe ...kayaking? ;)
In the meantime, here’s a few tourist pictures of the Malcesine area on Lake Garda. Very pretty place.

5190CA65-54C9-4452-B47C-619C7A506ED0.jpeg

FB9871B0-F430-4485-BB37-F7898E1B4374.jpeg

93F8B0C3-F8BD-4889-8204-961EADB3E601.jpeg

DE5B3D51-EB06-4982-988E-7A0D247DA44F.jpeg

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2019 5 years 2 weeks ago #10

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
They have the Windsurfer regattas there. Take one for a “spin “. Don’t forget your speed tracking watch, those things can get fast! :whistle:

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2019 5 years 1 week ago #11

No big windsurfer reunion but a bunch of Sunday morning Laser races everywhere on the lake. Instead I spent 90min on the water in super gloomy conditions. The wind line (15kn) was about 300 yards out. The temp was 48-ish in and out the water. When the wind kicks in, the lake becomes choppy a bit like Winnebago! Did you knew Lake Garda was 1131 feet! That’s super deep for a pretty narrow lake. Anyhow, I went to Wwwind Square in Malcesine on the eastern shore. They were friendly and as the season just started this weekend, I was lucky to find someone who would rent me some gear. The board is a I-don’t-know in 120l with a NP sail in the 7.5-ish. The board was sticky and the sail was pulling like a tractor! Being a bit out of shape too, a powerful sail on a board that doesn’t release easily is just tiring twice as fast. After about an hour+ on the water, the wind died... At least I can say I’ve been there! Overall I was a bit unlucky bc normally the wind comes up more regularly I’ve been told.

12290090-B048-42FA-8229-E8FDDA0BF10F.jpeg

C6CC68CE-5B62-4289-A135-E7D440B82895.jpeg

29B93EA6-1E87-4C57-9231-4760644CF42A.jpeg

11880D45-61ED-4597-8496-B2BED3889A9C.jpeg

95E4DE27-87C9-4D76-8541-C458DFA83BD8.jpeg

Sheboygan Chronicles - 2019 5 years 1 week ago #12

Awesome, Greg. Yeah, Lake Garda is a mecca of windsurfing. With several rental centers around the lake. Wind funnels through the canyon. Wish I would have made a trip over when I was in Milan. And stayed a week.

GARDA LAKE - Wind and More Part 2 [2018]

Pure Slalom Windsurfing | Lake Garda
Time to create page: 0.348 seconds