Sunday, May 12, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: NE Sheboygan Thursday 5/17

NE Sheboygan Thursday 5/17 5 years 11 months ago #1

Well, looks like forecasters are predicting NE wind at 16-17kn with gusts at 22-25kn on Thursday in Sheboygan. So, If this holds, I'm planning to be there by 8:30-ish till 11am, then back to work... I might also do a come back at the end of the day after 4:30 for a last run!

If anyone travels all the way here, don't shoot the messenger if the conditions are not delivering! Like probably many of us have experienced, things can be disappointing. Although, I rarely seen a NE day being disappointing! Usually it is SE days can be erratic here in Sheb. ...but you never know, the weatherman has been wrong more than once! If that's the case, there are plenty of great places to grab a bite in town!

Anyhow, see below map for best launches.

I recommend the north end of South Beach for smaller shore break and some flat water along the south jetty (though that requires a few back and forth upwind to reach calmer waters). This launch is usually quieter. Parking on a empty kinda grassy lot along the beach located at the end of Illinois Avenue (enter via a dirt driveway on the right).
Or the launch in the middle of the beach at the deadend of Clara Avenue. Also a large grassy field that offers easy parking and great rigging. That launch is a bit more popular with Kiteboarders but everybody gets along nicely. In windy days, Kites from Milwaukee, Chicago, Madison, GreenBay, Fond du Lac will show up here and it can be a bit busy! Also shore break can be more pronounced at this launch. Usually, after a few hours of steady NE, swell will grow and can reach fairly close to shore. Best place for wave-riding. There's a non written rule on that lot is that cars park 30-40 yards off the edges of the grass and the beach to allow rigging and kite launches without having to go between cars to walk the equipment to shore.

Note that water level on Lake Michigan is high and shallow waters extends out 40-60 yards out in places, so beware of this precious fin and fin-box!
Cheers!

You_Doodle_2017-09-19T13_53_23Z_2018-05-16.jpg

IMG_0699.png

IMG_0700.png

NE Sheboygan Thursday 5/17 5 years 11 months ago #2

8:45 - wind is going strong. Nice swell and white caps. At least 20kn and more in the gusts. 2 kites on the water along the south Jetty. Probably the north launch of south beach is best. Other possibility for the acrobat: launch from the south jetty near the Blue Harbor Hotel entrance: nice parking, grass for rigging but rocks down to the water. A bit perilous with a Windsurf. Kitboardrrs do this all the time though.

911CC35C-C1A5-4936-A74E-AD3F52AE7E09.jpeg

Views from north jetty

NE Sheboygan Thursday 5/17 5 years 11 months ago #3

View from south beach / north launch. Big swell. Some breaking quite far out. Intimidating. Wind 25kn.

5589737F-20BE-43B6-9923-C6365B89578B.jpeg

NE Sheboygan Thursday 5/17 5 years 11 months ago #4

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
It wasn’t meant to be for me. Gotta work :(
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds