Saturday, April 27, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Best summer destinations on the lake?

Best summer destinations on the lake? 6 years 1 month ago #1

• Sepi
  • Strong Breeze
We want to drive up north (from central Illinois) to spend vacation on the big lake for the first time in August. The ideal location would combine windsurfing with some beach fun for a baby. What are the best locations for that time of year? Any insights are highly appreciated :0)

Best summer destinations on the lake? 6 years 1 month ago #2

I think August is the month which usually has the least wind. For instance, check out the stats from the Harrison-Dever Crib just offshore of Chicago. Other people may have good suggestions for windy spots though...

EDIT: If you look at the glass half full, even though August is the least windy month in the linked stats, it still gets 17 days with at least 15 mph on average B)

Best summer destinations on the lake? 6 years 1 month ago #3

Little Sable Point!

Best place on the lake for wind and a beautiful beach at the awesome Little Sable lighthouse :-)

www.google.com/maps/@43.6539368,-86.538602,17z/data=!3m1!1e3

Drew

Best summer destinations on the lake? 6 years 1 month ago #4

Just north of Little Sable point is Ludington and Hamlin lake...Great place to sail and less crowded than areas south on the lake. You've got the best of both worlds. Sail the big lake for the waves and chop in the state park or hit Hamlin lake just over the dunes to rip on the flat water. The tiny tot will have fun in both spots and so will you!

Best summer destinations on the lake? 6 years 1 month ago #5

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
You better hurry up! There may not be many accommodations left to book. There is no bad place on the MI side, but in general the farther away from the Chicago weekend crowds the better.

Best summer destinations on the lake? 6 years 1 month ago #6

Besides the paces already mentioned, I like to go to Traverse City, Empire, Indiana Dunes and Door County, WI. Most likely the wind will be light. I'd go camping and hiking unless it's windy.

Best summer destinations on the lake? 6 years 1 month ago #7

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
I have a better idea for the light wind days: inflatables! After all, baby wants to have fun too :woohoo:
Start with a small one:
818F6899-737B-41E2-BCC7-C31120DA93B8.jpeg

...and as the family grows:

A996834F-EEDC-403A-B24C-EEA3F3C5D339.jpeg

... and keeps growing:

2F4F29E7-971E-4DF5-BC29-F9292D99FEB3.jpeg

...and growing...
83D641AE-A308-48A8-BDE1-1C99598EDDC6.jpeg

...I’m sure you get the idea :lol:
Attachments:

Best summer destinations on the lake? 6 years 1 month ago #8

We've been going to Door Co. Wi for over 40 years usually late July early August. Bailey's Harbor has a nice family beach for when the wind is out of the south. Sail out of Egg Harbor on northerly days on the Green Bay side. You also have Clark Lake for fresh water sailing. We bring bikes, boards, and a laser sailboat as well. Lots to do in a relatively short drive from STL (9 hours)

cm

Best summer destinations on the lake? 6 years 1 month ago #9

• Sepi
  • Strong Breeze
Thanks everyone for the great pointers! Ady, we do have an inflatable windSUP for low winds and love it! We’ll definitely take it with us.
Has anyone been around the Crystal lake, MI area?
Time to create page: 0.335 seconds