Sunday, April 28, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: 2021 Session Log and Stats

2021 Session Log and Stats 2 years 3 months ago #1

Happy New Year!

2021 was big! Here are a few stats and observations:

93 sessions total in an average air temperature of 68F / 20C degrees
53 sessions (57%) happened at my home spot in Sheboygan, WI
21 sessions (23%) happened on Lake Winnebago, WI
First session: March 21 / Last session: December 15
I was lucky to sail in Hatteras, NC, and in Hood River, OR for a few days
I sailed my EZZY Lion 8.5 to its maximum lifespan since the fall of 2018 (starts to all apart!)
Managed less than 1/2 a dozen catapults and didn't have any significant injuries
Archived fully planning jibes on both tacks, a top speed year best of 34.29mph and a long 55 miles sailing during one single session
Been riding an intimidating 12' swell on Lake Michigan on an awesome NE day
Definitely prefer ridding freerace kit better than FSW
Foiling saved the day in summer with 15 light wind sessions in July and August
I didn't manage a single successful foil jibe (Tacking was all I could do!)
Experienced 40kn gusts with a 4.7 rig which made no sense whatsoever!

2021SessionLog-TotalSessions.jpg

With what board?
1: Goya Bolt 125l was used the most (56 times)
2: Foiling on the Goya Bolt (27 times)
3: Starboard Kode 109l (15 times only!)

2021SessionLog-BoardTypeCombo.jpg

With what sail?
1: Ezzy Lion 8.5 (45 times)
2: Ezzy Lion 7.0 (30 times)
3: Ezzy Lion 6.0 (15 times)

2021SessionLog-SailSizeCombo.jpg

NB: total usage of sail and board is higher than the total number of sessions as I sailed multiple boards and sails during the same session on a few occasions.

Sheboygan Lighthouse Sept. 27, 2021
SOBC3615_2022-01-02.jpg

2021 Session Log and Stats 2 years 3 months ago #2

• KM
  • Storm Force
What a great idea to track all this, and sounds like you had an awesome year.

When you're sailing Sheboygan is it right off the boardwalk by the river? Seems like the breakwall by the YC would make for a nice flat spot on NE days. For the first time ever my wife wants to do a resort vacation next year around July, so I was wondering about the reosrt just south of town there.

2021 Session Log and Stats 2 years 3 months ago #3

Thanks.

See below for the various Sheboygan launches and their respective best wind directions.

When I sail inside the harbor between the 2 break walls, it's usually during moderate to strong NE wind. I tend to launch from the Municipal South Beach and tack upwind until I can enter the mouth of the Sheboygan River. This is fun and offers the best of both worlds: big swell outside the harbor and flat water inside.
Also, since Lake Michigan water level receded a bit in 2021, the east dead end of Pennsylvania avenue features a shallow sandy patch perfect to launch right from inside the harbor. The only issue is that, there's no close-by public area to rig and the end of the street features a 30"-high concrete obstacle with a few rocks that you need to go over with your kit in order to access the water - not difficult, just not straight forward. That launch is nestled right between the Sheboygan Yacht Club and the US Coast Gard. The nearby Yacht Club lawn would be great to rig but since it's private property, I would advise asking for their authorization first. So far, the only people I've seen launching from there are a couple of wingfoilers this past season.
One last thing regarding sailing inside the harbor on the Sheboygan river: I would never sail here after a rainy period because the river carries a fair amount of natural debris, including full-size trees trunks and limbs that can be hard to see in the brackish (but relatively non-polluted) waters.

The resort you are talking about is called Blue Harbor Resort. It's pretty nice with room options with a view of the Lake, an attached indoor water park and outdoor swimming pool, the windsurfing launches just a few yards away, and a good selection of restaurants nearby. In July, winds tend to be light and the beaches offer a great place to perfect or learn new skills on fairly shallow shores thanks to a couple of sandbars. A wetsuit is usually needed (water temps vary depending on wind directions: from 50 to 65). Beware of strong rip and lateral currents during moderate to strong offshore windy days: Bathers and out-of-town folks are getting in trouble here every year!

EDIT: Oh I forgot, no one ever sails in Sheboygan in off-shore wind conditions. Too gusty and fluky near shore; plus it's not safe...

ShebLaunches.jpg

2021 Session Log and Stats 2 years 3 months ago #4

• KM
  • Storm Force
That actually looks like a pretty sweet place to sail. Work takes me up to Port Washington a lot in spring, I might try it sometime.

I sail a lot on boats, I am painfully familiar with summer's light air. Our own boat is great in heavy air, but in light air it's still life.

2021 Session Log and Stats 2 years 3 months ago #5

PM me the day you plan to stop by Sheboygan.

2021 Session Log and Stats 2 years 3 months ago #6

• Chris
  • Gale Force
Sweet stats, Greg from Sheb. Thanks for sharing!
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds