Sunday, April 28, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: 5/28 Sheboygan NE - I got defeated

5/28 Sheboygan NE - I got defeated 2 years 10 months ago #1

Not every windsurfing session is happy, showing how skillful we've been and how lovely the conditions were. That NE day in Sheboygan was that day for me: I rigged a 6.0, launched, and realized the wind had picked up. Can't hold that sail. I then rig a 5.2 and give it another go thinking that this will be it. Nope! The 5.2 gets ripped out of my hands and I get tossed in the shore break. The wind had picked up even more and became gustier with peaks around 35kn. My next move should have been to rig that 4.7 and save the session? Nope. I folded everything and went home. Frustrated? Impatient? Disappointed? Scared? Maybe a bit of it all. This might sound like a childish tantrum but more importantly, I might just realize that what my 30-year-old mind wants to do, my body and 56 yo abilities can't anymore. Or was I just in the wrong mindset? Next time, if I don't feel it, I'll stay home.

Dave, Jake and Jon came too and managed to have fun. I hope they'll have a few good pictures to share. They looked awesome out on the water.

5/28 Sheboygan NE - I got defeated 2 years 10 months ago #2

Got to add "cold" to your list, if a cold weather session doesn't start off excellent I'm very likely to pack it in.

5/28 Sheboygan NE - I got defeated 2 years 10 months ago #3

David Mark wrote:
Got to add "cold" to your list, if a cold weather session doesn't start off excellent I'm very likely to pack it in.

Very good point, Mark.

5/28 Sheboygan NE - I got defeated 2 years 10 months ago #4

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Not having the patience to wait for the wind to settle some is a mistake that I make a lot. This usually forces me to change rigs and boards 2 sometimes even 3 times a session. The difference to your case is that small lakes are much more forgiving then Lake Michigan and I am still not too exhausted to keep sailing although not in best shape for the best wind of the day. On the other hand I also remember a few times when my impatience has paid off and those who've waited got skunked while I got some sailing at least.

5/28 Sheboygan NE - I got defeated 2 years 10 months ago #5

Yep, you are right! On that day, I clearly wasn't patient with anything: waiting for the wind to calm down a tad (which it did later in the day) or rigging smaller. The temps would have been 60 or so, I might have put a bit more effort. It was 48-50 degrees that day and the older I get, the more I need warmer conditions to put a smile on my face!
But the weather is warming up now and the next NE day will be mine to own! Ha!
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds