Thursday, May 16, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Thursday 8/29

Thursday 8/29 4 years 8 months ago #1

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
Anyone else thinking about sailing this afternoon? Looks like the better wind will be a little North of Clinton. We will see, I’ll probably sail from the marina launch.

Thursday 8/29 4 years 8 months ago #2

It does look good for the afternoon. I'm thinking about it.

Clinton Lake Forecast
8_29_2019_Clinton_Lake_forecast.png

Thursday 8/29 4 years 8 months ago #3

Schlog-fest. Got out there around 2:00. Dark rain cloud to the S was killing our wind. The wind even turned to S from the nice SSW. Rigged my 5.8 with 108 FSW anyway. We headed up to The Narrows. I was able to get on plan a couple of times. Chris was doing a little better with his twin cam 6.5 and Big Red. Rick saw us moving at a speed faster than paint drying and came up to join us with his 6.5. I practiced boom to boom tacks - one movement. Around 5:30 the wind came up a little and I was able to get some planing rides back. Fun day, good exercise, great to see you guys.

You can see the rain cloud (that was just south of the lake) kicking Decatur's ass around 1:00 in the graph.

Bloomington
bloomington_8_29_2019.png

Champaign
champaign_8_29_2019.png

Decatur
decatur_8_29_2019.png

Me coming in (5.8 sail). (Photo by Chris)
58AE72C7-4E9D-4956-A29B-CB6FD7F1CF86_fix.jpg

Thursday 8/29 4 years 8 months ago #4

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
This years summer doldrums have been very unkind to you guys. Cheer up, it’s almost over.

Thursday 8/29 4 years 8 months ago #5

Ady wrote:
This years summer doldrums have been very unkind to you guys.

Yup, we were out 7 times for Jul and Aug last year. This year only once.

Thursday 8/29 4 years 8 months ago #6

Horrible July & August at Clinton Lake, Kansas as well. About the same: 2018 had about 7 days (2 were epic), 2019 had 3 (one of which I really shouldn't count and none were epic).

It's been so bad, that I was seriously considering making the 6 hr drive to Illinois to enjoy the potential wind you might have next Tuesday (9/3).....why couldn't it be on Monday (9/1)???? Everyone has the day off!

Thursday 8/29 4 years 8 months ago #7

The way you keep from hurting your brain, and I've said this before, is to write off Jun 15th to Sep 15th. And then any day you get in that window is a bonus day. They feel special. Been doing that for years. I do have to say, getting a 5 batten 6.9 wave sail has expanded my days. But I like the trick ability of a 5.8 sail.

Eric, come on over (weather permitting). I'll post a Tuesday (9/3) thread as we get closer.

Thursday 8/29 4 years 8 months ago #8

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
I enjoyed the day, was fun to just sail and keep moving, even did some board yoga, standing on one leg, the ape hang, the kneeling on the board Exonerated warrior stance. Then got plaining for a bit and even got the fin out of water, chop hop?! Is what it is, made something out of seemingly nothing, rigged when no visible wind, left Rick reading a book on the bench:)! Then ended up having chilled fun on awesome day! Life is what you make of it!

Thursday 8/29 4 years 8 months ago #9

You guys should migrate north in Wisconsin and start sailing 8.0 riggs. B) You could experience frigid water temp, 12kn pumping fest sessions and a summer that stays stuck in winter. :)
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds