Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

• Page:

TOPIC: Thursday 6/13 Recon Visit Next Week

Thursday 6/13 Recon Visit Next Week 4 years 11 months ago #1

Have seen you guys sailing at Clinton Lake and plan to drive down next week on Thursday from the QC to check it out. Would appreciate any advice / info you can provide. Will be bringing my Volar 130 and my Naish 150 foil board. Hope to try the foil out if the weather permits. Anybody tried foiling there? Thanks for any info. Ed

Thursday 6/13 Recon Visit Next Week 4 years 11 months ago #2

Come on down, Ed! I'll meet you out there.

Dietrich Ed wrote:
Anybody tried foiling there? Thanks for any info. Ed

The Para-Foilers are going on 6 years now. I haven't ever seen them do it when I can't 6.9. And I've seen them out when I'm on a 4.7. :dry: And they still seek out flat water behind docks and in coves for some reason. :dry: The lake is deep and the dark water helps to keep it weed free. There are some weeds near shore this time a year, but no big deal.

Thursday 6/13 Recon Visit Next Week 4 years 11 months ago #3

Thanks Reid. See you next week.

Thursday 6/13 Recon Visit Next Week 4 years 11 months ago #4

Dietrich Ed wrote:
... plan to drive down next week on Thursday from the QC to check it out.

Is Thursday 6/13 your only crack at it that week? I'm about to fire up a wind alert for a different day that week. I can still make your day. Just seeing what's doin'.

Thursday 6/13 Recon Visit Next Week 4 years 11 months ago #5

Boom!: Upgrade for Thursday. What was 10 to 12 mph is now this...

Clinton Lake Forecast
6_13_2019_Clinton_Lake_forecast.png

That would be a perfect day for The Road. Launches page > Menu > more > Clinton Lake, The Road.

Click the Directions Icon on The Road. (circled in green)
The_Road_directions_icon.png

New window opens. Type your Start Point in the field.
The_Road_directions_icon_2.png

Shortest walk of any launch. Plenty of grassy rigging that's sheltered from the wind. Pull over so your tires are off the pavement.
the_road_parking.jpg

Let's hope this holds. Models are fuzzy beyond 3 days out. Will give updates.

Come on down Sound Byte

Thursday 6/13 Recon Visit Next Week 4 years 11 months ago #6

Thursday is the day for me, but looks like it’ll be a good one!

Thursday 6/13 Recon Visit Next Week 4 years 11 months ago #7

Gust Forecast 1:00 pm

6_13_2019_gust_forecast.png

"...some pretty strong personal feelin's about nuclear combat."

Thursday 6/13 Recon Visit Next Week 4 years 11 months ago #8

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
I’m planning on sailing tomorrow, hopefully it’s a better direction to accommodate the road launch site than Monday. What’s your thoughts Reid now that we are 24 hours out?

Thursday 6/13 Recon Visit Next Week 4 years 11 months ago #9

Update: Looks like it settled into a solid NW wind in the 5.8 to 4.7 range (170 lbs). For The Road launch still. I've never seen such a back and forth from wind to no wind to wind. 8 times. It shows why you don't want to look out beyond 3 days - you'll hurt your brain. NAM model has NW this time over NNW last Monday. Wind forecast to be 315 to 325 degrees. Clinton has a history of very good luck with new folks their first time to Clinton. Air temp low to mid 60s. Wear a 3.2 suit. Water will feel like a heated swimming pool. I plan on getting out there early!

6_13_2019_11.jpg

30.forecast_2019-06-12.gif

6_13_2019_2.jpg

30.forecast_2019-06-12.gif

Clinton Lake Forcast
6_13_2019_Clinton_Lake_forecast_2.png

Gust Forecast - Euro model. 1:00pm
6_13_2019_gust_forecast_2.png

6_13_2019_morning.jpg

Driving music for Ed.

Thursday 6/13 Recon Visit Next Week 4 years 11 months ago #10

Thanks, should be there around 11AM

Thursday 6/13 Recon Visit Next Week 4 years 11 months ago #11

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
I’m getting out of work at 10am so should be there by 11am as well.

Thursday 6/13 Recon Visit Next Week 4 years 11 months ago #12

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
When I arrived Reid was out sailing on a 4.7 and the wind was pretty steady. I rigged my 4.7 on my 93ltr board and headed out. Got some good runs and then took a break to give my ankle a rest. Then went back out to find the wind was less consistent but I was still getting some good rides. I got off the water once it start to back off quite a bit. Rigged my 5.2 in the free-b (98ltr score). It doesn’t perform as well as my 93ltr, doesn’t carve as smoothly but helped get me through the lulls. After sailing the fee-b for awhile it was time to call it a day since my ankle was getting fatigued. Met up with Ed, Rich and Reid at the Power Jibe Pub for a cheeseburger and a couple beers and was really content with my day. I’m not ready for flight but enjoyed the fast rides and appreciated being able to get in and out of the foot straps with my bum ankle. I think wrapping it in duck tape helped it a lot, gave it that extra support it needs right now. Was good to meet Ed, seems he is having a challenge finding good spots to sail in Iowa but Rich and Reid offered up some suggestions, I’m interested to hear how that pans out.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds