Thursday, May 02, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Thursday March 14 2019

Thursday March 14 2019 5 years 1 month ago #1

• Jake
  • High Wind
Hi Guys,

Looks like Thursday could be huge--I have a good friend in WI who is thinking about making the "pilgrimage" down to Clinton lake and I thought I'd check in with the locals. Two questions for you guys:

1) It looks like it is going to be either SW or SSW: How well does Lake Clinton work in those conditions? (I know it sets up very well on a straight west!)

2) Where do you guys launch in a SW?

I'm out for another month or two recovering from shoulder surgery, but hopefully I'll see you on the water soon in early summer. I'm due for another session at Oval beach soon... Have a great spring season!

Cheers,
Jake

Thursday March 14 2019 5 years 1 month ago #2

Hey, Jake! Long time no see or hear.

Jake wrote:
Hi Guys,Two questions for you guys:

1) It looks like it is going to be either SW or SSW: How well does Lake Clinton work in those conditions?

Here you are 4/03/2016 on your 3.7 with 68L board. SSW-SW at F13 in the campground

F11_4_03_2016121.jpg

Link to sesh: windsurfillinois.com/index.php/forum/cli...348-sunday-4-03-2016

F11_4_03_2016104.jpg

Jake wrote:
2) Where do you guys launch in a SW?

F13, F12, F14... in the Mascoutin campground. I just had a back end upgrade to the site and the Launches page is temporarily down. Hope to be bigger and badder.

Jake wrote:
(I know it sets up very well on a straight west!)

Straight west is one of Clinton's worst directions.

I will post updates for the day. Looks raging SW. Will know more when models get within their 3 days out range.

What's his smallest sail? Your friend needs to sign up to the site and get updates and share the stoke, even at his local spot.

Get well soon, Jake!

Thursday March 14 2019 5 years 1 month ago #3

• Jake
  • High Wind
Thanks, Reid!

Apparently my memory is getting suspect with age regarding wind directions....

I'll pass this along and try to get my friend, Tomek to sign up. I'll tell him to bring his 3.3. and 2.9...

He's super fun to sail with--wish I could be joining in on the fun. Kill it out there for me!!

Thursday March 14 2019 5 years 1 month ago #4

Purple haze, all in my brain
Lately things they don't seem the same
Actin' funny, but I don't know why
Excuse me while I kiss the sky

Purple haze, all around
Don't know if I'm comin' up or down
Am I happy or in misery?

3/14/19 1:00pm ECMWF Model Gust Forecast Color Map mph
3_14_2019_gust_forecst.png

Thursday March 14 2019 5 years 1 month ago #5

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
I am going to have to just watch if anything, I broke my ankle, still have an air boot on, trying to get it healed as quickly as possible so I can join the fun.

Thursday March 14 2019 5 years 1 month ago #6

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Chris wrote:
I am going to have to just watch if anything, I broke my ankle, still have an air boot on, trying to get it healed as quickly as possible so I can join the fun.
That’s a shitty timing. Get well soon Chris!

Thursday March 14 2019 5 years 1 month ago #7

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
Thanks Ady, surprised you are not doing Wednesday- Thursday thing.

Thursday March 14 2019 5 years 1 month ago #8

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Chris wrote:
Thanks Ady, surprised you are not doing Wednesday- Thursday thing.
Will do for sure, but probably on Wolf . I’ll check it Wednesday if the ice has melted. The forecast looked too brutal for Clinton a few days ago, but it keeps going down so I’ll decide Wednesday where to sail. I’ll synchronise with my “nordic” buddies Greg and Mike aswell and they probably will prefer the shorter drive to Wolf if it’s clear. Anyhow, the main news is that it seems we are out of the woods finally and the season can start for real now, woohoo!!
I’m sad for you, what happened?

Thursday March 14 2019 5 years 1 month ago #9

Ady, please let me know how Wolf Lake looks like. I asked my father in law about his lake in Michigan(usually about the same temps as Wolf Lake) and it is still frozen.

Thursday March 14 2019 5 years 1 month ago #10

Winter Storm Ulmer, May Bomb Out and Smash All-Time Low-Pressure Records

"The storm may strengthen rapidly enough to "bomb out," a term meteorologists use when the pressure of these low-pressure systems drops by at least 24 millibars in 24 hours or less....The lower the pressure in a storm, the more intense it is."

weather.com/safety/winter/news/2019-03-1...essure-record-plains

plains-blizzard-ulmer-ecmwf-3_14_2019.gif

Thursday March 14 2019 5 years 1 month ago #11

There's a chance I drive to Clinton tomorrow for first time, as my daughter needs ride home from UIUC. However, I check the launch section of this site and its all gone, I have no idea where to go. Help??? Never been there. Will 4.5 sail be small enough, or should I bring out the ancient no-name 3.8?
David Mark

Thursday March 14 2019 5 years 1 month ago #12

David, see second post. Link to campground map in that post. Bring your smallest sail. I'll be giving another weather update soon.
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds