Saturday, May 18, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: My 2018 Season in Charts

My 2018 Season in Charts 5 years 4 months ago #1

My 2018 season in charts. All made from the seshes posted in the forum. And a chart from 2017 with each 2018 chart for comparison.

2018_session_sail_size.png

2017_session_sail_sizes.png

2018_session_sail_size_pie.png

2017_session_sail_sizes_pie.png

2018_session_board_size.png

2017_session_board_sizes.png

2018_Session_Wind_Directions.png

2017_session_wind_directions.png

My 2018 Season in Charts 5 years 4 months ago #2

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Ha, surprise! I never realized or just forgot that you don’t have a 5.2. That’s my most used sail with the 94L. The consistency in your charts shows how well you have familiarized yourself with your kit -the somewhat limited number of sails and boards makes it a bit easier also probably-and the playground you are playing on.
The significant differences in mine on the other hand show that I’m still trying to place my pieces right especially the 5.7 which I used 11 times with the 94L in 2017 and only once in 2018, one more time with the 110L. Definitely missing the right board for this sail size unfortunately. Regardless though it’s so versatile for our conditions that it is the only sail I’m using across 3 boards including the windsup. I also struggled with the 4.6 Revo which is more like a 4.5 and doesn’t fit in my quiver. That problem is hopefully fixed now with the recently bought 2015 4.7 that will replace it. The 5.2 and 7.5 remain my favored choices for the 94L and 110L respectively beeing used very consistently the last 3 years and this probably won’t change in 2019. Hm, well who knows- I’m still work in progress.

My 2018 Season in Charts 5 years 4 months ago #3

And all with 1 boom. Yep, I used to have a 5.2. That used to be the biggest sail in my quiver and one board, a Mistral Wave 73L (1998). Folks really wanted to know when I was going out. Weather was more volatile then. It could be 70F in December or -20F. And more wind. Board shapes have improved, rockers/balance/V, so higher volume boards perform great in higher wind condition and you don't have to be on something that sinks to your waist when schlogging (pre freestyle wave).

When I got the 5.8 it felt like the 5.2. And I found myself over and over going from 5.8 to 4.7. If Chris is ripping on a 5.2 I rig for 4.7. And it works great. I also like the mast drop with each sail size. The 5.8 is my crossover sail for my two boards. Schloggy 5.8 or ripping 5.8. The water on Clinton makes the biggest change at either extreme of the 5.8, from flatness to chop.

Looking at the charts the RRD FSW 108 was a good purchase for extending my summer sailing. Love this board. Luckily the RRD Firemove 110 was nowhere near me the first day I went across the lake and ripped a turn on the RRD FSW 108 or I would have given the Firemove a Viking funeral right there at West Side. I also sold the 7.5 Ezzy freeride.

The Ezzy 6.9 Tiger(188cm boom) on the RRD FSW 108 feels like cheating. If I can't get that going, rig a 9.5. I'm also dropping the 3.5 SE from my quiver. Even if you get everything tuned right in those conditions it's still a battle I don't want to fight on the water.

One way a 5.2 might come back into my quiver would be a full blown Freestyle sail.
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds