Wednesday, May 01, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Fri 04.19 and Sat 04.20 strong N

Fri 04.19 and Sat 04.20 strong N 5 years 1 week ago #1

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Anyone sailing on the Big Lake? I can’t today but I’m considering Saturday. I’m thinking the Wall as the water is too cold still for wave washouts.
I'm sure there will be “hundreds”of replies to this post, so please be polite and take turns :lol:

766E4B09-99C4-4AD0-A4CF-3F9EBF950CAA.jpeg

Fri 04.19 and Sat 04.20 strong N 5 years 1 week ago #2

I might go tomorrow, provided I can secure babysitting.

Fri 04.19 and Sat 04.20 strong N 5 years 1 week ago #3

Never been there, how do you launch and get out of the water?
David M.

Fri 04.19 and Sat 04.20 strong N 5 years 1 week ago #4

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
David Mark wrote:
Never been there, how do you launch and get out of the water?
David M.
It’s a bit complicated unfortunately David. Not so much launching, but getting out. Both are executed from 2 different concrete platforms that are difficult to see on sat maps. I think we had a discussion before about this, but it’s still advisable to have somebody show you on the spot. If I go, I’ll be in the 87th st / Steelworkers park lot by 11:00 and we can meet. Stefan and/or some other guys might be there too.
Steelworkers Park
E 87th St, Chicago, IL 60617
(312) 747-6651
goo.gl/maps/HWeqRqrzFv1KHxDb9

Fri 04.19 and Sat 04.20 strong N 5 years 1 week ago #5

David, I just updated The Wall on the Launches page. Launches page > Menu icon("Open launch list") > More > Lake Michigan > The Wall.

As Ady said it's advisable somebody walk you through.

The_wall_screen_grab.png

Fri 04.19 and Sat 04.20 strong N 5 years 1 week ago #6

Will there be a new GPS speed record for The Wall?

GPS_speed_record.gif

Fri 04.19 and Sat 04.20 strong N 5 years 1 week ago #7

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
On my way. It’s 10 mph down from yesterday, 5.7-6.5 I guess and it’s going to drop some more. Still enough to have fun I believe, ignoring the cold.

Fri 04.19 and Sat 04.20 strong N 5 years 1 week ago #8

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
D459488E-8A34-434E-9AF4-E2862C9C9E48.jpeg

The cold N packs a punch as usual. I think I’m going with the 5.7.

Fri 04.19 and Sat 04.20 strong N 5 years 1 week ago #9

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
And Im done. Stefan tried to warn me that 5.7 might be too much, but I went with it regardless and sailed overpowered the whole time hoping the wind will start dropping . It didn’t , it kept blowing relentlessly and that N wind is so dense and heavy-it hits like a jackhammer. Stefan on the other hand went with 4.7 and his 96 L Fanatic Freewave and was just fine. For me it became a tack practice, because out of the 4 or 5 jibing attempts I managed to finish just one successfully-too overpowered to sheet in. We must have looked like dr. Jibe and mr. Tack out there, funny. On top of all I forgot my GoPro mount, so no pictures today.
Now I have to remember-if Crib shows 28-30 mph, rig 4.7 for the Wall. Wow!!!

DD7803F3-A375-4D26-84B8-A1E26A378862.jpeg

Fri 04.19 and Sat 04.20 strong N 5 years 1 week ago #10

Looks like fun. I should have looked your post and drive down... Here up north there was barely10kn at best.

Fri 04.19 and Sat 04.20 strong N 5 years 1 week ago #11

I showed up, decided it was too cold, but it looked good, and the launch not too bad. Ady launched from the place where you get out, Stefan launched from the spot 40 ft north. I think I'll go there on a good strong N day when I don't feel like fighting Greenwood shorebreak, like a 5.0 day. I need 50 degrees air temp at my age.

Fri 04.19 and Sat 04.20 strong N 5 years 1 week ago #12

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
The water in Lake Michigan is still VERY cold. The air was fine with the bright sun, but every time I fell in the water-and I fell a lot-it was painfully cold, especially on my finger tips.
This was the second time I launched from the “landing “ platform, but the first time I used the south path to access it and it was actually easier especially when carrying the rig. I arranged the sticks visible in the picture to place my board on them with the tail hanging outside the platform, same thing placing the rig with the boom outside the platform . The key is minimising the contact between equipment and rocks which are rough and every little touch can inflict damage. Those are actually not a natural rocks, but the metallurgical coke or whatever is called the shit left behind by the steel mill that has been on that place many years ago, hence Steelworkers park.
It is relatively shallow immediately in front of the platform so connecting board and rig is not a problem, but you still have to be careful where you step because the underwater “objects” are slippery. Most other guys still launch from the north platform though which has an easy access. My problem with it is that every time I launch from it with connected gear the rig and/or board touches the rocks-which as I said already equals damage. A few times I have thrown the rig from the platform and jumped after it holding my board, but that’s kind of dramatic looking and the water in front of that platform is deep so connecting board and rig is more difficult while swimming.
Greg, if you check WI more often you’ll stay informed and you won’t miss the good days in Chicago ;)
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds