Monday, April 29, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: 10/20 Not a good day to try new board on Lake

10/20 Not a good day to try new board on Lake 5 years 6 months ago #1

Bought this new (for me) Fanatic STB freewave 95, so I had to at least get it wet despite the nasty conditions. At Gillson it was side shore and I decided to go when 2 other guys were there. They were extremely competent (looping), but it was 28 gusting to 40. Went out once fully powered in a relative lull, then it gusted, too much, came back barely hanging on with a 5.0. Other guy Paul said not a very safe day, if you let go of your board it might fly away to Indiana. Only positive was relatively non-freezing water, no booties needed.

10/20 Not a good day to try new board on Lake 5 years 6 months ago #2

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Congrats David! Can’t wait to see it. You are one tough guy, man! Barefoot , wow!

10/20 Not a good day to try new board on Lake 5 years 6 months ago #3

That looked hairy for Lake Michigan. Way to go, David. The wind forecast maps had Lake Michigan in purple. :dry:

If you get time, feel free to give a review and or pics of your Fanatic STB Freewave 95 in the Windsurfing Gear forum. Let's see that baby.

10/20 Not a good day to try new board on Lake 5 years 6 months ago #4

11183007.jpg

So I got this new (used) board (picture not my board, same model). I wanted a 90-100 L board that would be smooth and easy in rough water, and everybody makes a FSW in this size. I was most impressed by this review: www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/...-TE-95-review?page=1
Secondly, a good friend did the same comparison with old Fanatic FSW and concluded no contest, STB better. In particular, very smooth, and planes out of jibes. Thirdly, Kevin at Sunset Sailboards in SF said it was a Crissy chop eater. Lastly, I was intrigued by tri fin option to alter character of ride. I like that it is narrower than other FSW this size range yet reports insist it is an early planer. I'm a bit nervous about handling such a short board and standing so far back at the tail, plus I don't get to sail a small board as much as I used to.

10/20 Not a good day to try new board on Lake 5 years 6 months ago #5

Cool! It's the same width as my RRD FSW 95 L (2009) at 60 cm width. It looks like the planing power from the reports is coming from the tail. I'd be interested to know what the tail width is 30 cm up from one of the diamond points.

10/20 Not a good day to try new board on Lake 5 years 6 months ago #6

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
Does it have any rocker?

10/20 Not a good day to try new board on Lake 5 years 6 months ago #7

Not sure how to characterize it. Fanatic website describes it as a freewave rocker line, which I guess means less rocker than a true wave board.

10/20 Not a good day to try new board on Lake 5 years 6 months ago #8

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
B73EAAE5-A3BA-4801-A578-47D98F1DE693.jpeg

Not sure if you’ll be able to read it.

www.windsurf.co.uk/test/fanatic-freewave...5l-2018-test-review/
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds