Wednesday, May 08, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: 63rd Fun! Sort of. Sunday, 07/22/18

63rd Fun! Sort of. Sunday, 07/22/18 5 years 9 months ago #1

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
I got there around 4:30, after debating all day whether was worthy or not. I'm glad I did. I rigged my 6.8 Elite on my Madd 135lt twin fin. At first I could only plane coming in with the waves, but later, around 5:00 the wind got stronger, between 18-21kts, and that let me plane back and forth for about an hour.
The wind was N-NW (355), which is a good direction for 63rd because it allow you to get out from the beach, as oppose to be stuck parallel to the beach when is NE.
I may go back today. If the wave came down, I'll rig my Retro 8.0, which I don't really like it that much. I find the sail very heavy by itself, let alone when it's fully rigged. It makes everything so much harder. By the way, wind on 63rd will be more on-shore than yesterday.

63rd is my local beach. I've been sailing there for about 17 years now. Best wind are NNW, N, E, ESE. NE is ok but keep in my it would on shore, any you'll be riding parallel to the shore, which make it harder to get away from the beach. Nonetheless, I ride NE on 63rd a lot.

63rd Fun! Sort of. Sunday, 07/22/18 5 years 9 months ago #2

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Ha, missed you by an hour or less. I checked the 63rd on my way to the Wall. There were only 3 surfing kayakers at tis time at your spot. I met Roman in the 87th parking lot and we chatted for a while. It was too light for him so he left for home while I went back to Rainbow.

63rd Fun! Sort of. Sunday, 07/22/18 5 years 9 months ago #3

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
Ady, you should've read my mind and wait for me :) I saw the kayakers. They left soon after I arrived. How did Rainbow go for you?

63rd Fun! Sort of. Sunday, 07/22/18 5 years 9 months ago #4

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
It went nice. I actually like it better then 63rd St . It has a huge parking lot and it’s never crowded /not a popular picnic place either/, parking close to the water edge and launch sheltered from the waves. I park at the very S end of the S parking lot right next to the path -very convenient. The sheltered launch there makes it a peace of cake to sail out behind the shore break and with the NNW wind direction this is where I turned on the outside before going back in the breaking waves. I have to start visiting it more often, instead of going to Greenwood for example , at least until the swim season is over. On top of everything it’s 5 min from the Wall in case I’m in the mood for flat water blasting. Great location!

63rd Fun! Sort of. Sunday, 07/22/18 5 years 9 months ago #5

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
I use to go there to teach my son windsurfing, back when there used to be a beach in the south end, about 3 years ago. Since them most of the beach in that corner is gone since the lake water has been raising for the last few years. That south end is perfect for teaching, super flat water and shallow.
63rd parking is not bad at all, except for really hot days when the beach get crowded. During the week nobody goes there and in days like Sunday, cloudy and cool, you have the entire beach for you, plus a bunch of lifeguards watching for your safety. Also, they have nice shaded green area for rigging.
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds