Tuesday, May 07, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Recently moved to Chicago

Recently moved to Chicago 5 years 9 months ago #1

Hello everyone
My name is Luis I just moved to Chicago from Lima in Peru. I am a life time surfer and have ventured into windsurfing and a bit of kite as well.
I would like to windsurf in Lake Michigan. I live in downtown.
So I am looking for any information you guys can give me on where to go, if a can rent equipment somewhere, meet people etc
Thanks!

Recently moved to Chicago 5 years 9 months ago #2

• Gerry
  • High Wind
Hi Luis - welcome to Chicago! Here is some info to get you started.

Unfortunately the access to the lake in Chicago is not what it should be (my 2 cents) but if you pick up your own gear there are several places to launch, they are listed on the LAUNCHES tab.

As far as renting gear, the only place I know of is the Northwestern Sailing Club in Evanston, north of Greenwood beach. Here is a link.

northwesternsailing.com/windsurfing-membership.phtml

A little more detail:

Most popular places are probably Wolf Lake south of the city (actually in Indiana), Greenwood beach in Evanston, and Montrose beach in Chicago. Greenwood is probably best place to meet other windsurfers on the North side, and Wolf Lake on the South side - there are usually people there on windy days. To sail in the summer months at Greenwood you have to buy a pass, I believe there is also a fee to park at Wolf Lake.

No kiting allowed at Greenwood, and only at Montrose in Chicago - but you have to take a proficiency test. Kiting is allowed at Wolf Lake last I checked, someone will correct me if it has changed. A benefit of Montrose is that it's free to sail, go all the way to the end of Wilson.

Gotta run but others will probably chime in - this is a great place to come for info!

Gerry

Recently moved to Chicago 5 years 9 months ago #3

Welcome, Luis!

Not sure what your skill level is. Lessons are available at...

Northwestern University Sailing Center (Evanston, IL)

Private Windsurfing Lessons

"Private lessons offer one-on-one instruction for windsurfers of all levels who would like to improve windsurfing skills and techniques. Private lessons are taught on skill-appropriate boards and sails. Public:$80/hr "

northwesternsailing.com/windsurfing

Beginner Board Guide link
"First piece of advice – don’t just buy that £100 board you see on eBay as it’s likely to be the windsurfing equivalent of a wooden tennis racquet! Have lessons first, hire for a while and then you’ll have a better concept of board sizes, names and what you want from the sport. When you’re ready to buy, select a board that offers long-term potential for your needs and aspirations, but isn’t too challenging to sail. In basic terms, boards are of similar length, but they vary more in width and volume. Wider, higher volume boards (140-200L) are more stable and easier to sail and suit beginners, improver-intermediates, lighter winds and inland waters."

"The new ‘widestyle’ boards are so much easier and lighter than boards from a few years ago. They’re at least 75-90cm wide, which reduces your chances of falling off and increases your control and ease of getting ‘planing’. They’re undoubtedly the easiest boards to sail on the market! The ones we’re suggesting here aren’t the massive white 200-220L school ‘platforms’ you might have had your lessons on: these are sporty, fun and perfect for embracing the early stages of the sport."

boards.co.uk/how-to/boardwise-beginners-board-guide.html

Windsurfing Gear For Beginners | Choosing Your First Windsurf Board And Other Equipment

"You will probably learn to windsurf using a training sail (under 5m) but it isn't worth buying a training sail, as once you come to the point where you are ready to purchase kit, you want it to help you progress. You don't want it to be too big otherwise it is too heavy and hard to control. As a general rule, most beginner adults buying their first sail would look at a 5m to 6m sail, but it really does depend on your height/weight and ability."

mpora.com/adventure/windsurfing-kitesurf...beginners-equipment/

Luis wrote:
I am a life time surfer...

There is a surf scene on Lake Michigan. In fact there's more surfers than windsurfers on Lake Michigan. The surfers wish surfing was as underground as windsurfing is on Lake Michigan.

Photo from Surfrider Foundation - Chicago Chapter www.surfrider.org/coastal-blog/entry/lak...rs-water-quality-cam
south_end_surf_surfer.png

If you're willing to drive over 5 hours there's secret spots.
untitled5_fix.jpg

How about a warm day? It's possible. Michigan City
MC_michigan_city_surf.jpg

St. Joe. More photos in album >> windsurfillinois.com/index.php/photos/63...bumid=73&photoid=834

Southend Festival Edit

vimeo.com/224848916

If you feel the "journey is the destination" and "the reward is in the struggle" talk the Ryan at Third Coast Surf Shop he'll set you up and give you the ins and outs. He has a surf shop in New Buffalo, MI and St Joseph, MI

Back to windsurfing...

You can always come down to Clinton Lake and we can take you through the basics of windsurfing on some beginner gear.

Hope to see you on the water somewhere,
Reid

Recently moved to Chicago 5 years 9 months ago #4

Thanks a lot!

Recently moved to Chicago 5 years 9 months ago #5

One more.

Larry Cavero of the Toronto area that grew up in Lima Peru.

vimeo.com/185271186
Time to create page: 0.452 seconds