Tuesday, May 07, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Lake Michigan Fri 7/6

Lake Michigan Fri 7/6 5 years 10 months ago #1

• Gerry
  • High Wind
Just had a couple good hours on an 8.5. Started a little before 11 on my Magic RIde 118, had to schlog out at least 1/2 mile before I could get to the wind line. Did a couple runs and had to schlog back in, it just wan't working very well without enough power. Switched to my big board and the wind picked up, had a very relaxed time for over an hour with plenty of power and really nice swells. Made my day!! :) Wore a 3/2 wetsuit but booties not needed.

Didn't see anyone else out up in Evanston, I sailed from Rogers Park as usual. Hope others are finding some wind today!

Lake Michigan Fri 7/6 5 years 10 months ago #2

Sweet! What size is your bigger board? Great views out there.

Lake Michigan Fri 7/6 5 years 9 months ago #3

• Gerry
  • High Wind
Well you may laugh at this - but I'm used to it!

My "performance" big board is a 2004 Starboard Free Formula, which I use only with a 10.0. But the waves were pretty big and I was already getting slapped around on the MR 118. So I grabbed my trusty 2000ish Starboard Start, which I still use in certain conditions - like when the waves are much bigger than the wind and I need an 8.5 or 10.0. Believe it or not I will also use that board in gusty offshore winds, it sails great overpowered. Rides like a Cadillac, absorbs huge gusts, and goes through holes amazingly well - probably because it's so heavy!

The board had a reputation as kind of a sleeper way back when, it's from before they added the centerboard. It has a center fin box, but I have a plug in it - and I don't think I'll ever get rid of this board! I have the straps all the way outboard and use a 60 cm formula fin, my top speed on the board (wearing my GPS) is 28 mph! Of course its great for teaching too. So I get over the embarassment and just keep on sailing it and having great sessions, usually on days when I am debating going out at all.

I did see one other sailor out in Evanston later in the afternoon, but not planing - it looked stronger than it was.

Tragically a girl ended up dying last night a couple blocks south of our beach, there were choppers and rescue boats everywhere. The beaches were closed because of the shorebreak, but they went in after the lifeguards left and apparently there was a rip current. Very sad.

chicago.cbslocal.com/video/3895475-teen-...gan-off-rogers-park/

Lake Michigan Fri 7/6 5 years 9 months ago #4

Gerry wrote:
Well you may laugh at this - but I'm used to it!

Never. We celebrate all windsurfing.

Gerry wrote:
So I grabbed my trusty 2000ish Starboard Start, which I still use in certain conditions - like when the waves are much bigger than the wind and I need an 8.5 or 10.0. Believe it or not I will also use that board in gusty offshore winds, it sails great overpowered. Rides like a Cadillac, absorbs huge gusts, and goes through holes amazingly well - probably because it's so heavy!

The board had a reputation as kind of a sleeper way back when, it's from before they added the centerboard. It has a center fin box, but I have a plug in it - and I don't think I'll ever get rid of this board! I have the straps all the way outboard and use a 60 cm formula fin, my top speed on the board (wearing my GPS) is 28 mph! Of course its great for teaching too. So I get over the embarassment and just keep on sailing it and having great sessions, usually on days when I am debating going out at all.

Checkout what's drying under the tree on our last sesh out. >> windsurfillinois.com/index.php/forum/cli...rfers/760-friday-7-6
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds