Saturday, April 27, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: 02.26.24 Wolf Lake

02.26.24 Wolf Lake 2 months 18 hours ago #1

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
I've used the beautiful weather to score some runs. In February! How awesome is that! I had my 110/7.5 and although I started getting overpowered at some point I still didn't downsize. It may have been gusting up to 30 mph but I was too tired to switch. This is my top speed of the day. Not a whole lot but that's the max that I'm capable of with what I have.
GX020767_2024-02-26-2.jpg

GX010769-1_2024-02-26-2.jpg

02.26.24 Wolf Lake 2 months 17 hours ago #2

• Guille
  • Strong Breeze
That is awesome!! what would you say the water temperature was ? I have a 5/4 but at my skill level haven't ventured too far offshore in Lake Michigan.

02.26.24 Wolf Lake 2 months 8 hours ago #3

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
The water is freezing cold no question, but as long as you have a wetsuit and booties and it’s a bright sunny day you’ll be perfectly fine even if you have to spend time submerged in any small lake. I fell in a few times and it was unpleasant when the cold water flushed my wetsuit but as soon I was back on top the sun warmed me up right away. Clinton’s water will be warmer for sure but you’ll still need a wetsuit.
Now, Lake Michigan is a different beast and I would stay away from it until June if I’m not experienced. The danger there is for you to get separated from your equipment after a bad crash. It’s a rare situation but if it happens there is a good chance for you not to be able to catch up to your board quick enough and that’s when the shit will really hit the fan especially if you are far out and no one is around.

02.26.24 Wolf Lake 2 months 6 hours ago #4

I complyagree with Ady regarding Lake Michigan. I do sail on it early in the season but I don’t go far at all (300-400 yards-ish max) in case I need to swim back in 38 degree water!

02.26.24 Wolf Lake 1 month 3 weeks ago #5

Unusually warm and windy days in February meant 6 days of close to 60 degree days sailing (winging) on the big Lake. They have been S wind days from Montrose beach , which is actually offshore wind from the beach, but most people stay pretty close. Yesterday again SE wind, which is offshore from Montrose beach but side-one shore for beaches further N, so a bit safer. Today again should be good from the S at Greenwood Beach.
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds