Saturday, April 27, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: This week Greenwood 9/20 and 9/22

This week Greenwood 9/20 and 9/22 1 year 7 months ago #1

It is looking promising for Greenwood this week, no permit needed any more, but don't park in the lot, they could possibly ticket. On Tuesday, could be an easy day with wind not so strong, directly sideshore SE clocking to S, so very flat on the beach, time to try the big lake when it is flat and warm. On Thursday, very promising forecast for straight North wind, big wave day with wind starting overnight. The straight N usually means pretty easy shorebreak since you are able to go directly against the waves, and sometimes light right at the beach. Hoping to wing on Tuesday and wsurf Thursday.

This week Greenwood 9/20 and 9/22 1 year 7 months ago #2

• Guille
  • Strong Breeze
What time? I can try early/mid afternoon

This week Greenwood 9/20 and 9/22 1 year 7 months ago #3

• Jake
  • High Wind
Hi David,

Looks like it's going to clock from NNW to straight N throughout the day. How does Greenwood work for wave riding if it's a little west of true north?

I see that there's pier protecting the powerboat launch. Is it possible to park and launch by the boat launch (i.e., just in the lee of the pier)? Or do you normally just launch from the swimming beach?

Fingers crossed for another fun wave day!

Jake

This week Greenwood 9/20 and 9/22 1 year 7 months ago #4

NNW is a very good direction for Greenwood because the beach has an angle, so slightly W is actually directly sideshore. Best way to launch is to drive into the lot, drop your stuff off on the rigging grass and park on Greenwood 20 yards away. You can launch from any swimming beach in Evanston now, including Clark Beach to the north of the boat launch. North of Greenwood long walk from street parking to beach. Lee street to the south very close street parking to beach. Greenwood was a sailing-only beach all this year due to lifeguard staffing shortages. I'm not sure we really get actual wave sailing at Greenwood, at best the swell smoothes out as you approach shore.

Guille, experts only on Thursday, Tuesday mellow flat water day maybe starting around noon.

This week Greenwood 9/20 and 9/22 1 year 7 months ago #5

• Jake
  • High Wind
Thanks for the intel, David!

That's all super helpful. I'm going to keep looking for a wave location that will work on that direction, but if I can't find anything that looks promising, I'll come join you guys in Greenwood. Should be a super nice day with some good-sized swell.

This is the best time of year to be a windsurfer in the Midwest!
Time to create page: 0.240 seconds