Saturday, April 27, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Evanston 4/23/22

Evanston 4/23/22 2 years 5 days ago #1

Expecting a warm windy day (or 2) on Saturday, mostly South meaning only slightly offshore, but likely to be gusty. Water temp is now 43, still need winter wetsuit but too hot while riding.

Evanston 4/23/22 2 years 2 days ago #2

Was very nice windy day at Greenwood, 5.0 conditions all day, 6 people came out. After I left at 5:00 there was a search and rescue for a supposed downed kiter, John says he thought he saw a downed kite tumbling north. Boat and helicopter were dispatched, the search was called off at noon Sunday, there had been no missing person reported. It would have been crazy to launch at any Chicago beach that day, I'm wondering if someone was practicing with their kite on Montrose or planning to stay in the large deep shallow area there, and it got out of hand.

Evanston 4/23/22 2 years 13 hours ago #3

• KM
  • Storm Force
That looks lovely. Freaky about the wandering kite, guess they move pretty quickly when released to the wild.

Regarding the Evanston beaches, Friday looks warmer and forecast looks ESE for now. You posted how that was a good if rare direction for Evanston. What beach works best for that? Whats parking like early season? I'm really looking to get out this week after not getting out Monday or the weekend.

Evanston 4/23/22 2 years 7 hours ago #4

The wind is forecast ESE, which is different than SE, I don't think I've ever sailed that direction, not sure if it is any good, for sure will be more waves at the beach, versus being protected by the break walls at the south end of each beach. More south than east is better. I will check it out if the wind is good, looking like more wind on Saturday. If you launch at Lee St, you have Greenwood as a safety beach one beach north, but there is Clark Street one beach north of Greenwood. Parking no problem right now, I don't know if they are selling season passes yet, Lee St is street parking, easy rigging on park strip grass. If the waves are big, be confident in water starts or your uphauling ability.

Evanston 4/23/22 1 year 11 months ago #5

If the wind is ESE, then Gillson Beach in Wilmette appears to be perfectly side shore. Have never sailed there on that direction, NW is great but often transient wind, a side shore coming off the whole lake could be epic, I'll check it out on Friday and/or Saturday.
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds