Saturday, April 27, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Gusty day on L Michigan Greenwood 4/6/2022

Gusty day on L Michigan Greenwood 4/6/2022 2 years 2 weeks ago #1

So it was supposed to be decent SW day at Greenwood, mid-50's air temp, SW winds. Alex, Chris, Chris's son, myself, Jason (wing), all out trying to sail. Extremely gusty, both instantaneous gusts, as well as long minutes-long lulls, followed by minutes-long gusts, widely variable direction from SW to WSW. I was overpowered on a 6.0, wind seemed to shift straight west for a while, I am on the way out from Greenwood but heading towards Lee St which is just one beach south of Greenwood. Just decided to schlog back to make sure I made it back to the beach. Meanwhile, the wind picked up my good board on the rigging grass and rolled it onto some concrete blocks, several minor dings to fix. Haven't had high wind this bad in a couple of years.

Gusty day on L Michigan Greenwood 4/6/2022 2 years 2 weeks ago #2

• Guille
  • Strong Breeze
I am unmaliciously jealous of your skills given such adverse weather conditions.

Gusty day on L Michigan Greenwood 4/6/2022 2 years 2 weeks ago #3

It's taken every bit of the 30+ years I've been sailing to feel confident and safe on those offshore days at Greenwood, some improved water start capability I picked up in the last 2 years, trying more extreme offshore angles on nicer days, knowing the limits of particular gear, warmer wetsuit. PFD, other sailors.....
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds