Monday, May 06, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Advice on the Wall or Calumet boat launch

Advice on the Wall or Calumet boat launch 2 years 8 months ago #1

Its setting up for a potentially good NE wind on Lake Michigan on Wednesday, but since its starting out NE Tuesday night its possible that shorebreak might be impassable by Wednesday afternoon at Greenwood when its supposed to be best, I'm wondering if anybody has gone to the Wall lately or has sailed Calumet boat launch to give me advice. Never sailed either, but I showed up at the wall one spring day 2 years ago and passed on it (too cold) and it seemed not too difficult. The Lake level was extremely high as waves were breaching the wall, and the water was waist deep by the concrete stepping off point, seemed doable by myself. If Calumet boat launch works easily, maybe just launch there.

Advice on the Wall or Calumet boat launch 2 years 8 months ago #2

Also interested in this launch. Seems perfect and would love to know if anyone here has been out there this season and hear the pros and cons. Also looking at this launch for September - November.

Advice on the Wall or Calumet boat launch 2 years 8 months ago #3

For winging, I think the wall is a piece of cake. The main potential problem for windsurfers is taking your gear out of the water onto an elevated concrete plank. Wing no problem, board I think you flip it upside down and easily put it on concrete block either standing on the bottom or on the concrete block. Nice flat water on N or NE when I went there and watched a couple of guys launch and sail. It was easy for them when the lake was at its highest levels. Apparently there is a shore resting area if you work your way upwind all the way to the wall.

Advice on the Wall or Calumet boat launch 2 years 8 months ago #4

I've never been to that sketchy launch but this reminds me of a few kiters in Sheboygan that built a small 3-to-4-steps 2.5 foot-wide staircase a few years ago to launch and exit through the south jetty (over the rocks). It was done with a few pieces of pressure-treated lumber. if I recall correctly, it was attached to the rocks with a couple of hooks on short lengths of chain that was secured to a couple of eye bolts that had been cemented to the rocks with some kind of JB Weld adhesive inside pre-drilled holes. The guys removed the staircase at the end of each session because waves from south-oriented winds would have destroyed the contraption (Was easily transported in a minivan or an SUV). But if conditions at the Wall remain flat, a permanent installation would be possible. Now getting the authorization for this might be a bit more tricky. In Sheboygan, it was done completely without any auth. That's a bit involving but maybe a great winter project for Chicago locals to promote slalom/freerace sailing? :)

Advice on the Wall or Calumet boat launch 2 years 8 months ago #5

I screenshot this apple maps picture of the wall shoreline and the concrete slabs. Some permanent steps would indeed be sweet, but may not be necessary. From the concrete slabs up to park level is also a bit of a steep slope and scramble.

IMG_0065.jpg

Advice on the Wall or Calumet boat launch 2 years 8 months ago #6

The Wall looks like a great spot for a fast downwinder all the way to Calumet Beach for an easy out! Just need one or two windsurfers dropping a car at the arrival point. Has anyone in Chicago done this ride already?
Downwinder02.jpg

Similarly but on a SE day, I've done a downwinder from Kohler Andrae State Park to Sheboygan Kite Beach along with Kiteboarding friends and this was a tone of fun.
Downwinder01.jpg
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds