Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Rejected on Montrose Beach

Rejected on Montrose Beach 2 years 9 months ago #1

I tried to launch from Montrose Beach yesterday and a life guard stopped me and said I can only go out on a Red Flag day. First he said that I couldn't bring my kite out and then I explained that I was windsurfing which is not really true because I'm wing surfing. I asked him for the reasoning for the policy and he spoke to me like a child. "Think about it! You could hit a pedestrian!". I told him I would only start sailing once I got out past the swimmers but he wouldn't allow it. Does anyone know what the policy is on Montrose or who i can talk to about it?

Rejected on Montrose Beach 2 years 9 months ago #2

Another case of ignorance of a newish sport. Last year in Evanston same thing, this year they know about wings. Windsurfing has always been allowed on Montrose, they think winging is kiting. Probably too late this year for anything to change.

Rejected on Montrose Beach 2 years 9 months ago #3

I don't know. I asked another life guard about "Windsurfing" and he still said no. The beach was crowded and they told a guy that he couldn't bring his little rubber ducky raft out there. It was a Green Flag day. But they have to allow paddle boards and kayaks right?

BTW - Greenwood Ave allows wing surfing now. You just need to buy the $200 sailing permit!

Rejected on Montrose Beach 2 years 9 months ago #4

Ok. I marched down and talked to the Captain, Captain Rob. He says I was erroneously ejected because they though I had a kite (even though I explained it wasn’t a kite again and again). He says windsurfers and wing surfers can launch from the Dog Fence (which I always do) or all the way south next to the catamarans and bird sanctuary. There are little red buoys that indicate the launch area. He says if there is a problem call 312-742-7526 or go to the Montrose Lifeguard Office.

Some of the lifeguards don't know what a windsurfer is, much less a wing surfer. I had to explain to a 18 year old lifeguard that a windsurfer was a paddle board with a little sail attached to it. He then said no surfing unless it's a red flag day. So that's when you need to speak to the Captain.

Rejected on Montrose Beach 2 years 9 months ago #5

Sorry you are having trouble. Montrose is the closest place for me to windsurf, but I have given up on it completely during the season (and pretty much never sail it anyway) due to parking issues and carrying equipment, and the wind is really crappy compared to Evanston for every direction. I used to sail it on straight west and it has potential on a northwest, but I got comfortable in Evanston on those directions now. I can see how it really has potential for winging, given the light wind capability and great maneuverability up and down wind. Could be amazingly scenic winging toward downtown.

Rejected on Montrose Beach 2 years 9 months ago #6

Montrose is really nice on an offshore or southern breeze because the wall protects the water from waves which are not an intermediate foiler's friend. I have a cart to drag my gear down. But I agree that the grassy area at Greenwood is very nice for setting up. Plus no barking dogs at Greenwood.

Rejected on Montrose Beach 2 years 9 months ago #7

Jason D Martino wrote:
... So that's when you need to speak to the Captain.

apocalypse_now.gif

Rejected on Montrose Beach 2 years 9 months ago #8

• Chris
  • Hurricane Force
Ask the captain if someone can meet with the life guards and explain things.

Rejected on Montrose Beach 2 years 9 months ago #9

Rejected on Montrose Beach 9 months 4 weeks ago #10

David,
I've looked for policy on the CPD website that confirms your assertion regarding windsurfing always being allowed, but I can't find anything. I've also tried calling the numbers here www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/parks-facilities/montrose-beach

Any chance you know of a site that explicitly states windsurfing is allowed?

Rejected on Montrose Beach 9 months 4 weeks ago #11

I sailed at Montrose during the lifeguard season for the past two years. But I was just informed today that there are no wind sport activities allowed except on yellow or red flag days. So before you go, check the Montrose website at www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/parks-facilities/montrose-beach

Green flag = no go
Yellow or Red Flag = go

Lifeguards don’t arrive until 11am.
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds