Sunday, April 28, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

• Page:

TOPIC: ABSOLUTE Beginner. Where to start? (Libertyville)

ABSOLUTE Beginner. Where to start? (Libertyville) 2 years 2 weeks ago #13

• KM
  • Storm Force
Hi Guillermo

I'm pretty new too, but since I got real gear last fall pretty much all my sailing has been colder. I used a 3/2 Oneil cheapo suit for October, but once the air temps started getting lower I got 2 suits, and both were great. My bottom limit for comfortable sailing helps though as I don't really like going out below 43 degree air if it's sunny, or 47 if it's cloudy.
I had an Ion Strike Amp 4/3 which was awesome, but started tearing at the seals after 4 uses, so got warrantied. Replaced with an RRD 5/3 Celsius which has been nice as well, easier to put on but lacks the fleece lining that made the Ion a bit nicer.
It was funny, as it colder, every windsurfer I talked to recommended gloves, and that was definitely the limiting factor on the one day I quit early on. Since then I got palmless mittens which are really nice to keep cold air off wet hands.

Isthmus sailboards is probably the closest place to try on a wetsuit. Jon Massmann has helped me out with buying my new gear and lots of little extras since.

ABSOLUTE Beginner. Where to start? (Libertyville) 1 year 11 months ago #14

• Guille
  • Strong Breeze
Wohooo! I managed to use the harness and the harness lines for the first time !!!!
What a relief, I don't think I could have lasted much longer without them, been experiencing some lower back discomfort.
Did some very very basic jibes for the first time too. Very rewarding session. Was scared I was going to hurt my back again but what a difference.
The photos you guys have been posting on the neighboring posts surfing on the local lakes have not gone unnoticed and actually inspired me

ABSOLUTE Beginner. Where to start? (Libertyville) 1 year 11 months ago #15

Guillermo wrote:
Wohooo! I managed to use the harness and the harness lines for the first time !!!!

Way to go!

ABSOLUTE Beginner. Where to start? (Libertyville) 1 year 11 months ago #16

• KM
  • Storm Force
Congrats Guillermo. Great work and you're on your way as it opens up a lot of other skills. I started with the harness last fall and the best part about it was being able to get less tired so I could sail longer sessions. Where did you sail?

ABSOLUTE Beginner. Where to start? (Libertyville) 1 year 11 months ago #17

• Guille
  • Strong Breeze
Punta Cana, quick little vacation.
I still haven't got cold gear for sailing here. Will have to do the trek to Madison soon for gear.

ABSOLUTE Beginner. Where to start? (Libertyville) 1 year 10 months ago #18

• Guille
  • Strong Breeze
Watching with positive envy your recent outings.
I've been getting a little better on the harness but still planning eludes me.
It seems everytime I lean back and out I either veer upwind or stall the sail and fall back.
Getting close to the footstraps but if I get closer I sink the tail which might be due to lack of.speed
On the positive side I can at least go out on a 130L board, either my Blast or a rental after spending so much time
on 220 L or more boards
Should be getting a suit for the cooler water temperatures to finally try getting the water here.

ABSOLUTE Beginner. Where to start? (Libertyville) 1 year 10 months ago #19

From your past posts it appears your kit is 130 Blast and 5.9 Nexus. This needs a lot of wind to plane and when it does it will be very fast pedal to the metal ride. It won't plane through lulls like a wider higher volume board, so a bit more stop and start sailing. Ultimately it is a great choice for light to medium free ride for 8.0 to 5.5 sail free riding, just know that for this early stage it is a bit challenging.

ABSOLUTE Beginner. Where to start? (Libertyville) 1 year 10 months ago #20

• Guille
  • Strong Breeze
Yes I have had very good days and days were I just question myself hard why I got myself into this.
Mainly it has to do when falling in the water and not being able to waterstart, then uphauling in choppy waters with a 130L board becomes exhausting after the 5th time.
Currently pondering on hopping on a big Gecko to help with learning, Or, carry on with the plan on the Blast which there has been improvement and save for a faster board.
Got myself a wetsuit so should be getting in the water here finally.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds