Monday, May 06, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

• Page:

TOPIC: Lake Andrea launch - rocks on the shore

Lake Andrea launch - rocks on the shore 2 years 7 months ago #13

• KM
  • Storm Force
That's more or less where I was. I got the impression that you could actually launch anywhere on the lake so it's really up to where you can park and how far you want to walk. Mostly I wanted to see for myself what the launch was like and it's really not bad, if I'm tired I'd probably separate rig and board and carry over the rocks but I feel like it would be doable even with my biggish board.

Less clear was whethere you actually need the day pass out of season. Signs say yes but when I asked a park employee he shrugged and chuckled, make of that what you will.

Have not sailed there but it seems like it would be really nice in ENE, OK in E or N, at least from that spot. I was at Silver which was excellent for all of 20 minutes before the wind shut off and stormed up. Naturally as soon as I put the last of the gear in the truck the wind was back on. Trying to sail all the local spots this fall when I can!

Lake Andrea launch - rocks on the shore 2 years 7 months ago #14

I've been going there all summer. No Pass required. Lots of people windsurf on Lake Andrea. Never had trouble parking either. Again, path down to the lake cuts through the rocks if you're going to jump right in. Else you need to walk a 50 yards up the coast to the larger beach where you can relax and there are no rocks whatsoever. Go on a sunny, windy weekend and you'll see others in that spot.

Lake Andrea launch - rocks on the shore 2 years 7 months ago #15

• KM
  • Storm Force
Yeah, I was there today and it's no problem to launch at the google maps pin. There's a gravel path over the rocks and it's quite easy to get over. I had initially though I'd launch on the other side as it looks like the lot of the recplex has a nice sand walkway, but its permit entry and after I launched you could see that side is quite steep. No issue with the launch but man was I shocked at how fast the seabed drops off! Very used to silver lake where you have to hike 50yds out to launch. I jumped in thinking I would be walking and then had to tow the board for a while! Lot of other sailors there rigging up as I left, looked like it was getting good!

Lake Andrea launch - rocks on the shore 2 years 6 months ago #16

• KM
  • Storm Force
How is Andrea in straight E wind when it's breezy? I found I liked it N and NE but tried earlier this week in light NW and it was awful; very shifty and then no wind within 100' of shore so not great. Was thinking about going up today but it's going to be nearly 90 E so was wondering if it's worth while.

What's good in NW breeze around here? I have only sailed at Silver and Andrea and Montrose. Still learning so not into big waves.

Lake Andrea launch - rocks on the shore 2 years 6 months ago #17

If you don't mind a bit of travel, you can try Lake Winnebago in Wisconsin. Just east of Fond-du-Lac, there are 3 launches that work well in NW:

Roosevelt Park: Easy parking and grassy rigging. Launch through a set of concrete (and a bit slippery) stairs down the water. Less than waist heigh sandbars for 50 yards, then enough depth for any kind of fin/foil. Good side to onshore exposure from W to NNE winds. Foiling is good here in West to NW winds as long as you walk your kit past the 3rd or 4th sandbar. The place is just in front of WindPower surf shop. Great place for beginners and intermediate on moderate wind.https://goo.gl/maps/VMhnDCL5K6H3EPNU7

Deadwood Point: Small communal stretch of grassy land between a small stream and a lakehouse villa. Offers easy rigging but limited parking (usually enough space except when it's summer and windy where it can get a bit crowded). The launch is through a small beach area. Wear boots to avoid zebra mussel's nasty cuts on your feet. A sandbar runs from the point out west for a few hundred yards. Avoid that area with Formula board size fin or foil. Foiling there is ok northward of the launch but preferably not a place for foiling in NW wind. OK foiling in SW wind. Good spot for intermediate to advance. https://goo.gl/maps/tgCkecdHRjRrFLzg9
Both places above are friendly spots where windsurfers and kiteboarders mingle and happily share land and water. Better for intermediate and above.

Columbia Park: A a few miles more north along the western shores. The place is a boat launch. parking is along the side of the road on the right in front of the restaurant Jim and Linda's Lakeview Supper Club. Rig just next to your car pon the grassy area under the trees. Usually better sport for wave and small swell riding when the wind blows above 25kn. Shore drops relatively quickly at launch. Ridding more North will give access to an open bay and very quickly puts you away from shore where swell tends to be bigger with nice ramps. Better during windy conditions and for experienced windsurfers. https://goo.gl/maps/qqu72NBhWzomjgZKA

I recently been sailing on a small inland lake closer to Milwaukee: Pike Lake. It's a bit like Lake Andrea: Small, short runs but super-flat water. When I'm tired of the excessive bumpy rides of larger lakes, I go there for some speed runs. Access is through a State Park entrance (Need a WI state park sticker). Easy parking and rigging on grass. The launch is through a wide-open beach. The lake is shallow near shore but I managed to sail my 90cm mast foil without a problem everywhere else. The water is relatively clear so it's easier to gauge acceptable depth. Perfect for learning and good fun for all levels who look for fast and easy runs. https://goo.gl/maps/ofbvP355GgwrQdSC9

Lake Andrea launch - rocks on the shore 2 years 6 months ago #18

How weedy is Pike Lake? I tried to Wing Surf at Silver Lake with a 75cm mast and the weeds were pulling me down like the mythical sirens. Also, can you buy a temporary pass if you're from Illinois?

Lake Andrea launch - rocks on the shore 2 years 6 months ago #19

I'm not sure how weedy it is at the moment. A friend of mine foils there regularly and says that there are fewer weeds than on Lake Winnebago. I never had an issue with weeds on Pike Lake but again, it depends on the season. With the cold and limited sunlight, I bet it's probably ok by now.
I have a year-round pass to WI State Parks so I'm not sure about daily passes. You can probably do an online search. Maybe here? https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/parks/admission

Lake Andrea launch - rocks on the shore 2 years 6 months ago #20

• KM
  • Storm Force
Excellent info. I might try Pike lake this fall when I head to MKE for work.

How is Wolf Lake IN in NW breeze? I really need a place closer to Chicago.

Lake Andrea launch - rocks on the shore 2 years 6 months ago #21

I used to live in Milwaukee and Pike Lake was closest place to sail for W and NW winds, SW worked there but you could sail Milwaukee beaches on those days. I'm not sure when they stop having a lot attendant to check Wisconsin state Park stickers. It was decent sailing if you didn't want to go as far as Madison or Lake Winnebago. Wolf Lake works fine on W or NW winds, many sailors always there but doesn't seem clean to me, I avoid it unless desperate.

On a W wind with slight N component, Gillson Beach in Wilmette should have decent wind, and now that season is over anybody can sail there. Should be pretty flat as long as direction is slightly off shore. When it gets solid NW, then it is pure sideshore and good for experienced sailors, may be a bit challenging for learning sailors in higher winds.

Lake Andrea launch - rocks on the shore 2 years 6 months ago #22

• KM
  • Storm Force
I'm a complete chicken about Wolf Lake as we've always joked about all the heavy industry there. Plus there seems to be some weird stuff underwater, some of it marked with cones, some not. Next week looks warmer and SW so I think I'll save my time and go up there next week.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds