Monday, May 06, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

• Page:

TOPIC: Lake Andrea launch - rocks on the shore

Lake Andrea launch - rocks on the shore 2 years 10 months ago #1

• Art
  • Fresh Breeze
I was at Lake Andrea June 17, 2021 and they added rocks and work fencing to the shore of the launch. I did not try and access the water with my gear, I just left. Does anyone know the current state of the shoreline there?

LakeAndreaJune17-2021.jpg

Lake Andrea launch - rocks on the shore 2 years 10 months ago #2

This is happening everywhere. There are at least 5 corps of engineers lakes in KS and MO that have had riprap added to shorelines to arrest erosion. One of our best local lakes is going to have riprap added to the 20ft hill that was turned into a 20 ft cliff by flooding in 2019. The shore erosion there has the potential to collapse the only road to the marina, so they have to do it. The State park doing the work wants to work with us to make improvements to still allow access for windsurfing, kiting, SUP, and kayakers. we have proposed having this stuff installed over the riprap:

www.paramountmaterials.com/products/slop...cb-eEj4aAuPrEALw_wcB

You just fill it with pea gravel and it's pretty nice to walk on.

Lake Andrea launch - rocks on the shore 2 years 10 months ago #3

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Seriously, if this little obstacle freaks' you out you are in the wrong sport.

Lake Andrea launch - rocks on the shore 2 years 10 months ago #4

Art wrote:
I was at Lake Andrea June 17, 2021 and they added rocks and work fencing to the shore of the launch.

Thanks for posting the photo and giving folks a heads up. I'm surprised they didn't leave gaps in the riprap around the lake at certain spots.

Lake Andrea launch - rocks on the shore 2 years 10 months ago #5

Ady wrote:
Seriously, if this little obstacle freaks' you out you are in the wrong sport.

This is not a trival obstacle. Even when dry, riprap is treacherous. Trying to navigate these uneven boulders while carrying expensive gear jostling around in wind makes a slip or trip more likely, and if you trip on that stuff, you can break an ankle or leg easily. If the water comes up, it'll get covered with algae and become slippery as well. I always avoid it: period.

Lake Andrea launch - rocks on the shore 2 years 10 months ago #6

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
IMG_3841.jpg

Oh the horror! Oh the danger! People be afraid and stay away from Lake Andrea, its worse then a minefield!
If only it was that easy! Another nice day at the lake sharing the fun with ever more unafraid people including several ladies. And that's what makes this sport great-the unafraid people. I'm grateful I can call some of them my friends!!

Lake Andrea launch - rocks on the shore 2 years 10 months ago #7

:lol:

Lake Andrea launch - rocks on the shore 2 years 9 months ago #8

North side of lake just 100 yards northeast of the parking lot has a small spit of beach. I'm more afraid of the rusty fish hooks and goose shit.

Lake Andrea launch - rocks on the shore 2 years 7 months ago #9

• KM
  • Storm Force
How annoying are the rocks here? Just picked up new gear and want to use this fall to get some good days in, and the shape of the lake looks nice but how bad is the bouldering to get into the water? Is there still a soft bottom to do beachstarts?

Lake Andrea launch - rocks on the shore 2 years 7 months ago #10

• KM
  • Storm Force
I was sailing at silver today and stopped by to check out Andrea for N days. The rocks are everywhere, but they're really not too bad to haul over. Annoying, but not prohibitive.

DSC_2384-PANO.jpg

Lake Andrea launch - rocks on the shore 2 years 7 months ago #11

Thanks for the update. Nice panoramic picture.

Lake Andrea launch - rocks on the shore 2 years 7 months ago #12

On the Google Maps, there is a pin for Windsurfing Launch just past Froggy's Beach near a picnic hut. Go there and there is a little trail down to a little beach. You can also walk a minute NE of there and there is a long, thin beach with no rocks. The rocks are only an issue if you are a beginner and you need to put out because you can't get back.

LakeAndrea.jpg
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds