Monday, May 06, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

• Page:

TOPIC: Some chilly windy days coming 10/29 and 10/31

Some chilly windy days coming 10/29 and 10/31 3 years 6 months ago #1

Should be very good wind this Thurs if you can stand it 45 deg air 45 deg water from the NNE, supposed to be windy all day, might be windy enough to sail 5.0. Then on Saturday, mid 50's air wind from the south, hopefully not too gusty. I've learned to don my 5/4 chest zip well enough, but getting it off takes a long time. Might only sail south winds for the rest of the season.

Some chilly windy days coming 10/29 and 10/31 3 years 6 months ago #2

David Mark wrote:
...Might only sail south winds for the rest of the season.

I'm like you; the NNE Thursday is appealing but the temps are below what I can deal with. ...Although I could suit-up at home and sail for an hour down on the beach below...
Saturday looks far more appealing. Where would be a good launch in your area on Saturday? I'm willing to travel south to find warmer temps!

Some chilly windy days coming 10/29 and 10/31 3 years 6 months ago #3

I'm planning to sail tomorrow and Saturday. I don't mind the cold too much as long as I'm not sailing solo... Are you going to give it a go tomorrow David?

Some chilly windy days coming 10/29 and 10/31 3 years 6 months ago #4

Going to sail Greenwood on Thursday late am to mid afternoon, Lee St (one beach south of Greenwood) on Sat afternoon. The last S wind we had was amazingly good, not the sharp chop, the high winds shaped the water into nice swells both ways. Will finally put the booties on.

Some chilly windy days coming 10/29 and 10/31 3 years 6 months ago #5

Big Fail for those of us that tried to sail in the mid morning. Very benign looking shore break as we were rigging up became nasty as winds turned very onshore, and could not get out. The current made you lose all power and waves toppled you over on the diagonal run. In retrospect, should have launched at Clark St or possibly Lee St which would have been slightly more side shore. On a warmer day would have certainly tried those beaches, but the cold air/wind wears you out and once the chill sets in it won't go away. Will wait for sunny Saturday.

Some chilly windy days coming 10/29 and 10/31 3 years 6 months ago #6

Still on for Saturday? Lee St Beach? Who's going there? What time?

Some chilly windy days coming 10/29 and 10/31 3 years 6 months ago #7

Definitely me, probably after noon, needs to warm up. Wind always quits by 4

Some chilly windy days coming 10/29 and 10/31 3 years 6 months ago #8

Well, I didn't make it to Evanston. I saw the conditions in Sheboygan and didn't feel like spending time swimming after my kit in 45-degree water! I needed something easy and satisfying yesterday, not challenging! So, I went to Wolf and did a few back'n forth for a few hours. Managed a 32mph. Just what the doctor ordered! B)
Hope everything went well in Evanston. Any pics?

Some chilly windy days coming 10/29 and 10/31 3 years 6 months ago #9

It was pretty fun, no pics. Straight south is pure bump and jump at Lee street, 5.0-5.5, actually pretty relaxing to sail, some lulls, but with a floaty board you could stay on a plane the whole time. 6 or 7 sailors out, others came but didnt rig.

Some chilly windy days coming 10/29 and 10/31 3 years 6 months ago #10

Meanwhile at Silver Lake, WI...

Video by Dmitry Sklar.

Some chilly windy days coming 10/29 and 10/31 3 years 6 months ago #11

Reid Fillman wrote:
Meanwhile at Silver Lake, WI...
Video by Dmitry Sklar.

Nice 360 action. What camera was used?

Some chilly windy days coming 10/29 and 10/31 3 years 6 months ago #12

Greg from Sheb. wrote:
Nice 360 action. What camera was used?

I believe he's using a GoPro MAX 360.