Monday, May 06, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Place to launch on Chicago north side?

Place to launch on Chicago north side? 3 years 9 months ago #1

Is there a place to launch in Chicago? I used to launch from Montrose beach but it’s closed. Or is there something I can say to the person guarding the exit at Montrose to let me through? I do see cars parked near the launch site and am not sure what they are saying to be allowed in. Thank you :)

Place to launch on Chicago north side? 3 years 9 months ago #2

Unfortunately with Chicago beaches closed, only place I know of is Evanston Greenwood Beach, which has always required a permit, and due to capacity restrictions, they do not sell daily passes. Perhaps a season pass is now at a discount at this point of the year, but there is only until Labor day left, and this is the worst part of the year. If you are advanced sailor, you'd be lucky to get more than 3-4 days left before Labor day. If such a day occurs, I'd advise some trivial civil disobedience in order to sail. The traditional Greenwood street beach entrance is fenced off. The fence is low and its not hard to drop your gear over the fence. I think its easy to find a way over the fence around there. Greenwood is particularly good on N to NE winds, very challenging for good sailors with sometimes difficult shorebreak. The other common direction that works is S to SW, which requires a schlog out to a windline which is anywhere from 50 yards to 1/4 mile out, but then gusty to good bumpy sailing. Yesterday for example it was 20 knots VERY far out, and then 0 at the launch with changing direction. I had to swim the last 15 yards in. I'd avoid weekends for now, Evanston is packed. If its dawn patrol, you could simply walk through at Dempster Ave and start sailing before everybody shows up.

Place to launch on Chicago north side? 3 years 9 months ago #3

I have an old expired harbor pass that has gotten me through at Montrose. I've only gotten half hearted checks from the street guards and they haven't noticed or cared.

Place to launch on Chicago north side? 3 years 9 months ago #4

Good to know. Did the lifeguard say anything when you brought your gear down to the beach and launched? Thanks.

Place to launch on Chicago north side? 3 years 9 months ago #5

Also, how does one get a harbor pass (valid or expired)?

Place to launch on Chicago north side? 3 years 9 months ago #6

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
Last week I was able to launch from 63rd on the north side of the beach, about 100 yards from the official beach and the lifeguards didn´t give me any trouble. I parked my car across LSD, put all my gear on a bike trailer and walked, using the underpass, to the spot. At the end the wind turned to be to light, and never got to plane, but at least now I know that´s option for N, NE, ENE, E, and ESE wind.

WSgearoncart_fix.jpg

Place to launch on Chicago north side? 3 years 9 months ago #7

Thanks for sharing

Place to launch on Chicago north side? 3 years 8 months ago #8

• Dee
  • Fresh Breeze
I’m planning to take my windsurfer out to deep water tomorrow on my boat, launching from a Chicago Harbor. That way, wind or wave direction does not matter!
Time to create page: 0.516 seconds