Wednesday, May 08, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Canary Islands / Tenerife / Spain

Canary Islands / Tenerife / Spain 4 years 10 months ago #1

My wife is traveling to Madrid for work in mid August so I may go and extend the vacation. We will bop around Spain for a bit but has anyone had expereince in any of the Canary Islands or Spain? I have done some limited research and Tenerife looks like the best spot to balance windsurfing with wife. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I would plan on renting. Looks like there is just one major spot to rent from in Tenerife.

Canary Islands / Tenerife / Spain 4 years 10 months ago #2

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
I went to Pozo Izquierdo, Gran Canaria in 2002. No beach, all rock launch area. I will not recommend it unless you're an expert and comfortable jumping on port tack. In my case, I learned to jump on starboard tack, so the place was not ideal for me.
Fuerteventura is the place to go. I've never been there, but for what I've heard and what I've seen online, seems to be a great place for windsurfing with several rental shops and sandy beaches. Also, Tarifa in southern Spain is supposed to be a great spot too.

Canary Islands / Tenerife / Spain 4 years 10 months ago #3

Thanks for the advice. Fuerteventura is on the list too but my wife was leaning toward Tenerife because it is the more popular travel destination (outside of windsurfing). It also had more flight options as I recall - which helps with a small window of travel time. Maybe just 2 or 3 nights on an island.

Tarifa would be cool too - and doesn't require a flight. Getting to Tarifa isn't as easy though in teh sense that no train goes there. We could jsut stick to mainland Spain and use Tarifa as the sailing destination. I think it would be cool to see Tarifa/straights of gibraltar, etc.

Canary Islands / Tenerife / Spain 4 years 10 months ago #4

I went sailing on my honeymoon ages ago (23 years) at Tarifa and it was awesome sailing, very high wind and a lot of equipment available for daily rental back then. No idea what its like now, I know there are mostly kiters like everywhere else. Very easy to find accommodations. I had a rental car to travel around Spain and Portugal on that trip. Gibralter is interesting and strange, you can take day trips to Morocco (didn't do myself).

Canary Islands / Tenerife / Spain 4 years 10 months ago #5

Tarifa is still on the table - cause then we could just stay on mainland Spain. I'm happy that everyone is so helpful - and well travelled! I wasn't expecting any replies.
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds