Saturday, May 04, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: 2021 Winter/Spring Windsurf Vacation Suggestions?

2021 Winter/Spring Windsurf Vacation Suggestions? 3 years 4 months ago #1

Looking for windsurf vacation suggestions for a trip this winter or early spring. I’ve been windsurfing for two seasons. Im planing in the straps, riding lower volume boards (115 liters), water starting and make the occasional fast tack. Next hurdle is cracking the planing jibe. Criteria for the trip are: warm, needs to be somewhere my wife will enjoy (she doesn’t windsurf), convenient gear rental, allows US visitors (COVID).... I think that’s about it

COVID travel restrictions seem like the limiting factor. I’m thinking maybe somewhere in Texas?

2021 Winter/Spring Windsurf Vacation Suggestions? 3 years 4 months ago #2

• marc
  • Fresh Breeze
Bonaire, hands down, has everything you're asking for. And then some. contact me privately if you want more

2021 Winter/Spring Windsurf Vacation Suggestions? 3 years 4 months ago #3

I’ve been going to Corpus Christi the last seven years. Worldwinds is at sailing site on North Padre Island but shop was sold & owner is waiting for permit transfer. I would call or email to find out when they might open. I’ve been going in April so that sounds too late for what you have in mind. That’s typically 15-25 SE, air about 80 water mid 70s. I’ve heard March can be good, but may not sail every day. I’ve rarely had an off day in seven years. I’ve heard South Padre is similar, but never been there.

2021 Winter/Spring Windsurf Vacation Suggestions? 3 years 4 months ago #4

I would agree with Marc. Bonaire is the perfect place for someone at your level. It checks all the boxes you mentioned. Now the trick is to get there in the middle of this pandemic. I was checking recently and it seems that they are open for business but it seems that COVID is widespread on the island. By spring, maybe things will get better? That's anyone's guess.
Here's a tasty pic.

DGVW5856_fix.jpg

2021 Winter/Spring Windsurf Vacation Suggestions? 3 years 4 months ago #5

Haven't been to Texas, but Bonaire would be my choice. Perfect place to start the season :-)

And unless your wife is totally content just sitting in the sun for days:
1) Go snorkeling a couple days. Lac Bay out by the reef is excellent, as is Klein Bonaire. The Salt Pier was very cool too.
2) Spend an afternoon at the distillery. Nice relaxing outdoor place up in the hills.
3) Take a drive along the southern coast. All kinds of beautiful spots to see.

I would go there for two weeks every spring if I could B)

Drew

2021 Winter/Spring Windsurf Vacation Suggestions? 3 years 4 months ago #6

Andrew Scheidler wrote:
I would go there for two weeks every spring if I could B)

That sounds just so right!

2021 Winter/Spring Windsurf Vacation Suggestions? 3 years 4 months ago #7

• Gerry
  • High Wind
Hey Coleman, hope you are surviving the winter and pandemic ok!

Bonaire is awesome (though can be a bit pricey to get there), biggest issue is that for now I think you have to go through Curacao - not sure if they are saying how long that will last.

Greg, looks like you stayed right at Sorobon - sweeeeet! Last year I stayed at their new location just around the corner, which has lower rates but still full access to main resort and beach, including breakfast. But there is nothing better than staying right there!

Dave - I think I have been to Corpus the last 5 years in a row, maybe 6 - not counting 2020, missed due to Covid. One of those years was late March and we had great wind - but April in Corpus seems to be as close as windsurfers can get to a sure thing. A couple of years ago I was on a 3.8 - and it wore me out very quickly! If you are from Chicago I might have just missed you last year, I got there the day after someone else from Chicago's last day. Another year I just missed Chris Tierres though I think that was when I went in March. Jose from Chicago used to be down there every year for the season, but I don't think he goes any more.

I will be going again in April this year for sure, one of us should post a note here when we have our dates! I am sure Olivier will do a great job, I am assuming Randy will still be there as well. I'm actually planning to drive down this year (for the first time), so I will be on my own gear - including foil - if that works out. I need to catch up to Greg from S. and get the foil dialed in!

Gerry

2021 Winter/Spring Windsurf Vacation Suggestions? 3 years 4 months ago #8

Gerry & Dave - where would recommend staying in Corpus Christi? Are there activities to do other than windsurfing? Why North Padre over South Padre?

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

2021 Winter/Spring Windsurf Vacation Suggestions? 3 years 4 months ago #9

Coleman Lieb wrote:
Are there activities to do other than windsurfing?

Outdoor nature activity.
(2018)
South_Padre_spring_break.jpg

2021 Winter/Spring Windsurf Vacation Suggestions? 3 years 4 months ago #10

• Gerry
  • High Wind
I have always stayed on the island, there are hotels as well as lots of Airbnbs off of Whitecap Blvd east of the Park Rd., I have stayed at Hawthorne Suites on Windward Dr. a couple times. Last 3 years I chose an airbnb in that same area.

There are a few other things to do - Padre Island National Seashore, Mustang Island State Park, Bob Hall Pier, ferry at Port Aransas. They may be closed now, but there is also the USS Lexington and an Aquarium in town.

Never been to South Padre, mainly because it's harder to get to - and I've been so happy at Worldwinds!

Another place I can highly recommend is Pro Windsurf LaVentana in Baja, I have been there twice and really loved it. You get to hang out with Wyatt and Tyson, and their website lists some of the other stuff to do. Unlimited use of their 4-wheelers if you like trail riding!

prowindsurflaventana.com/activities/

2021 Winter/Spring Windsurf Vacation Suggestions? 3 years 4 months ago #11

Agreed with the recommendations of where to stay. I’ve been doing VRBO March is more expensive because of Texas breaks. I drive so Corpus is shorter.

Gerry we’ll definitely meet if your heading down in April. I’ll be there April & May. Did get to know Jose, but think he’s done going down. Look for the dark grey 4x4 Ford Transit with Michigan plates. I’m in Grand Haven.

2021 Winter/Spring Windsurf Vacation Suggestions? 3 years 4 months ago #12

It's a great idea to keep the folks here aware of future travel plans, etc. I'm definitely looking for a place to windsurf this spring. North Parde is 22-23h driving for me though. Maybe worth the trip if I stay for 8-10 days or so... It would be a lot more worth doing knowing there are people around sharing the same interest.

Gerry: Yes I stayed at the Sorobon and tried both the beach "Chalets" and also the off-beach "Apartments" with the pool. Both places are great. Apartments are more comfortable I'd say but nothing beats staying on the beach for a week. This was just amazing. However, while the lagoon is safe, warm and easy sailing, after 6 consecutive days, it gets a bit monotonous. Going snorkeling or exploring the island in between sessions is the right thing to do. My past experience is that it is best to go sailing either early morning before 10am or after 4pm. In fact, the wind tends to die down a bit around midday and 10-13pm are the rush hours on the water. So, from 12-4, either a good nap on the beach under the shade or a discovery trip around the island rounds up a perfect day!

Bonaire_deSwarte_05-2_March2018.jpg
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds